English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 03 July 2014, 09:13   #1
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Debugging included files (AsmOne vs DevPac)

Hi there! Some questions about debugging and AsmOne vs DevPac...

When I'm running the debugger in AsmOne (v1.20) and execution gets into an included file, I can only see the executing line (in that included file) at the bottom of the screen. Can this be changed so that debugging in included files is shown the same way as it does for the "main" file? Also is it possilbe to set a breakpoint in the included file?

I've been thinking for some time of giving Devpac a try. Which version would be ok for 68000 coding on Workbench and Kickstart 1.3? Related to muy first questions: would that version of DevPac improve AsmOne 1.20 debugging features?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04 July 2014, 10:53   #2
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandius_c View Post
I've been thinking for some time of giving Devpac a try. Which version would be ok for 68000 coding on Workbench and Kickstart 1.3?
The Devpac 3 IDE requires OS2.04, although the command line assembler (GenAm) may run with Kickstart 1.3 as well. Also MonAm, the debugger, still works with 1.3.
Use Devpac 2 for best 1.3 compatibility.
Old 06 July 2014, 23:09   #3
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
The Devpac 3 IDE requires OS2.04, although the command line assembler (GenAm) may run with Kickstart 1.3 as well. Also MonAm, the debugger, still works with 1.3.
Use Devpac 2 for best 1.3 compatibility.
Thanks for your help, phx, I will give Devpac 2 a try.
Old 24 August 2014, 00:34   #4
Photon

For coding on A500 1.3/68000, Asm-One 1.02+ from 1991 is (marginally) the best (as in latest Promax Assembler that takes least memory on a 1MB machine, so that you can build the biggest possible program). It's just a tiny improvement on 1.02E by Promax though but I dunno where to get 1.02E anymore.

What you want is a debugger to open files on the fly. I haven't looked at Devpac since it came, but I'm not sure anything supports that? At least not simultaneously as having taken over the hardware, even if it's theoretically possible.

There's the Asm-One version that has already open files in tabs, where it would be possible of course, but I haven't used that either.

If you don't have just 1MB ram total, then you can choose any kick 1.3-compatible Assembler you like. The latest Asm-One supporting 1.3 was version 1.20 as you probably know already

Me, I just temporarily include the erroneous file. When I have time I will put in code folding in my new assembler.

Last edited by Photon; 24 August 2014 at 01:32.
Old 24 August 2014, 13:19   #5
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
For coding on A500 1.3/68000, Asm-One 1.02+ from 1991 is (marginally) the best (as in latest Promax Assembler that takes least memory on a 1MB machine, so that you can build the biggest possible program). It's just a tiny improvement on 1.02E by Promax though but I dunno where to get 1.02E anymore.

What you want is a debugger to open files on the fly. I haven't looked at Devpac since it came, but I'm not sure anything supports that? At least not simultaneously as having taken over the hardware, even if it's theoretically possible.

There's the Asm-One version that has already open files in tabs, where it would be possible of course, but I haven't used that either.

If you don't have just 1MB ram total, then you can choose any kick 1.3-compatible Assembler you like. The latest Asm-One supporting 1.3 was version 1.20 as you probably know already

Me, I just temporarily include the erroneous file. When I have time I will put in code folding in my new assembler.
OK, thanks, Photon. I'm delaying taking code out to its include file as much as I can so that I can get around this.

Just to complete my last comment, I gave Devpac 2 a try but I just can't get used to it... Another thing I could do is try vasm, but It sounds a little bit complicated to me at this moment.