English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 June 2021, 12:47   #1
Yoji

OS 3.2 hdf identification in WinUAE

Hi all...
My Amiga skills are VERY rusty... but having fun with OS3.2

Thought I would start simple.. so just went for a basic A1200 set up in WinUAE (4.4.0) and created a ADF (all defaults I think), but when I tried to use the "HD tools" on the Install 3.2 adf it did not detect the drive.. so I could not partition it
So I went on to just format the drive and then use it to install workbench 3.2 just fine.

So I went to my old 3.1.4.1 install and checked.. and the HD tools could detect that hdf just fine (shows it as a SCSI drive)...

So copied the 3.1.4.1 hdf in windows.. and used the copy as my hdf in the 3.2 install... (so that hdf still had 3.1.4.1 workbench installed on it)
So started up 3.2 machine.. and when I used the "HD toolbox" it the workbench, it detected the hard drive/file fine..... but when I used the "HD toolbox" from the 3.2 install ADF... it did not detect it.

SO does this behaviour make sense? or am I an idiot and have missed/messed up some aspect of config?

Shout if you have questions.. and thanks for any insight...
Cheers
Old 01 June 2021, 13:02   #2
Etze
A3000-Fan

Check the tooltypes of the HD-Toolbox. I guess the Toolbox in 3.1.4 has a different (=the correct) device.
Old 01 June 2021, 14:58   #3
Yoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
Check the tooltypes of the HD-Toolbox. I guess the Toolbox in 3.1.4 has a different (=the correct) device.
Thanks.. so I was right.. I WAS being an idiot
it tool tips the device was configures as scsi.device and I needed to change it to uaehf.device. After the change, the hardfile/drive was detected

On creation - the hardfile/drive was shown as NDOS as not formated etc.. but when I used the HD toolbox to edit anything, it disappeared.. so something was still not right...
So I had another fiddle and found that I needed to click the "Full Drive/RDB mode" for the HD conroller in the Hardfile settings on WinUAE..
Then the drives would show up once I have partitioned etc

So I THINK we have cracked it... I can now install 3.2 workbench to one of partitions and leave the other partition for progs etc

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Old 02 June 2021, 12:32   #4
Tomislav

Yes, you can change that tooltype in workbench OR in winuae controller which is specific for your Amiga or Amiga board. For example if you use A1200 QuickStart specific controller will be "Commodore A600/A1200/A4000 IDE".