English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 October 2020, 09:35   #1
MrClump

A1200 Power Supply from eBay

I'm not totally comfortable using the 30ish year old PSU for my A1200, even though there is apparently nothing wrong with it, so I'm considering a replacement.

I don't want to be assembling something myself and have been looking at this power supply on eBay, does anyone have any experience of them?
Old 24 October 2020, 13:14   #2
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClump View Post
I'm not totally comfortable using the 30ish year old PSU for my A1200, even though there is apparently nothing wrong with it, so I'm considering a replacement.

I don't want to be assembling something myself and have been looking at this power supply on eBay, does anyone have any experience of them?
I do not have experience with that one. However, I have good experience thus far with this one
Old 24 October 2020, 14:04   #3
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I do not have experience with that one. However, I have good experience thus far with this one
Odd, I looked on Amigasstore yesterday and couldn't find any PSUs!

That one looks like a good bet, the eBay one makes no mention of its power output. Thanks!
Old 24 October 2020, 22:37   #4
Superman

I bought one of these a few months back and its been very good so far and runs my A500, A600 and A1200 perfectly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-PSU...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 24 October 2020, 23:19   #5
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I bought one of these a few months back and its been very good so far and runs my A500, A600 and A1200 perfectly.
I like the look of that one, for one very simple reason, the on/off switch looks really conveniently placed for smooshing with my toe under the desk to switch the Miggy on! The button on the genuine Commodore PSU is a real PITA to mash with your big toe.
Old 24 October 2020, 23:38   #6
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Ordered. :-)
Old 25 October 2020, 19:32   #7
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClump View Post
I like the look of that one, for one very simple reason, the on/off switch looks really conveniently placed for smooshing with my toe under the desk to switch the Miggy on! The button on the genuine Commodore PSU is a real PITA to mash with your big toe.

Its quite a bit smaller than the original power supply too but I guess thats 30 years progress for you. I'm sure you will be happy with it
Old 05 November 2020, 23:52   #8
Orionis5

Hi,

Since you are using Mean-Well type PSU now for Amiga. Do you have any problems and what system do you have, accelerator and similar...?
Asking due to Individual computers critics on Mean-Well's due to ripple 80 VS 50 and 5V load.
Old 05 November 2020, 23:58   #9
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionis5 View Post
Hi,

Since you are using Mean-Well type PSU now for Amiga. Do you have any problems and what system do you have, accelerator and similar...?
Asking due to Individual computers critics on Mean-Well's due to ripple 80 VS 50 and 5V load.
It arrive a few days ago and it works great. Don’t know about ripple and don’t have an accelerator so can’t say. Mostly importantly the on/off switch is indeed perfectly placed to turn the Amiga on and off with my toe. :-)
Old 09 November 2020, 19:28   #10
Orionis5

MrClump.
Wonder how does this supply has earth wire connected.
Does it go to Shield wire or GND wire ?
Old 09 November 2020, 19:37   #11
MrClump

Quote:
MrClump.
Wonder how does this supply has earth wire connected.
Does it go to Shield wire or GND wire ?
Sorry, I have no idea, I suggest you contact the seller on eBay. All I know is it seems to power my A1200 just fine.
Old 10 November 2020, 18:45   #12
Orionis5

Talked to Jens and he actually makes good points on this PSU's.
I also found it weird A-Power supply has direct contact between Amiga GND and Earth wire (at least no resistance).
Old 10 November 2020, 20:15   #13
MrClump

Quote:
Talked to Jens and he actually makes good points on this PSU's.
I also found it weird A-Power supply has direct contact between Amiga GND and Earth wire (at least no resistance).
There are two PSUs being referred to on this thread, which one are you interested in? I'm not sure which one is the A-Power supply, neither of them are called that.
Old 10 November 2020, 20:25   #14
Daedalus

Some Amiga PSUs also have direct earth-ground connections, others do not. It all comes down to the design of the PSU itself. None that I've seen have sense wires. Some Mean Well and similar PSUs have higher ripple than the Amiga spec, but there are dozens of different models and many meet the Commodore spec - all you have to do is check the data sheets and pick a model that meets your requirements. Not that that should really matter - no original Commodore PSU I've measured meets the original Commodore spec for ripple either but are otherwise working just fine and cause no problems for the base machines.
Old 24 November 2020, 11:48   #15
LezRed

I have an older version of the Keelog PSU - https://www.keelog.com/power-supply/#amiga mine doesn't have the digital display but other than that is identical.

I have used it with my A500+ with a TF536 and my A500 with an ACA500plus + ACA1221EC.

Whilst it seems to work fine I wouldn't reccommend it for two reasons; it buzzes when its been on a while and it has no switch, which is a PITA for me - I will add one to the mains AC cable at some point.

I should have the new icomp PSU arriving later this week for use with my A500 so I'll be able to use both machines at the same time :-)