English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 December 2011, 13:23   #1
Wolfus

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfus
Ultima IV -> V -> VI save import

Is it possible to do this in WHD Load (or any Amiga) version? Just finishing U4 and I hope I'll be able to continue with my Avatar in U5. You can do that in PC version so...
Old 06 December 2011, 23:15   #2
Jakodemus

I have always wondered, whats the point in using the same character you had in previous Ultima? Do you get better stats, equipment or slightly diffirent conversations?
Old 08 December 2011, 10:36   #3
Wolfus

I'll tell you if I'll find the way how to do it...
Old 08 December 2011, 10:40   #4
antonvaltaz

This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Amigan Software have a free utility for editing save games from various RPGs, including the Ultima series:

http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#mce

Maybe it can import/export as well? Or if not I guess you could manually re-create your character with the same name, stats etc?

EDIT: Doesn't look like it works for Ultima VI though.
Old 08 December 2011, 12:24   #5
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I never got into the ultima games until this thread inspired me to do so. I'm currently enjoying no. 4 now, anyway.

It seems this feature is lacking from the Amiga version of Ultima V but present in UltimaVI if the opening menu is anything to go by.
Old 08 December 2011, 22:13   #6
Wolfus

Thanks! I'll leave it for now and see what will happen when I'll finish U5.
Old 09 December 2011, 02:12   #7
Redwood

From the WHDLoad info for Ultima VI:

Quote:
To transfert character from Ultima IV game, just copy the /ultmapp/rost.bin file into your Ultima IV data/ dir. For Ultima V, it supports only the whd installed version, copy the /UltimaVData/saved.gam file.
Old 26 December 2011, 17:04   #8
Wolfus

I cannot play WHD version of Ultima V. I don't know why, but it has distorted graphics. Menu and controls are OK, but "world view" window is corrupted. I tried to switch chipset to original but with no effect. I use preinstalled WHD version.

EDIT:
Sorry, my mistake - it was already explained - files have to be extracted under WB because WinRAR corrupts them.

Last edited by Wolfus; 27 December 2011 at 11:24.
Old 08 January 2012, 02:05   #9
Snoozy

Hi, i'm a fan of the ultima series, especially ultima IV. I'm still tyring to get into Ultima V even though i first bought the game 20 years ago

Even so the graphics look very dated (i thought this even when i first bought the game 20 years ago, but the cloth map and medallion made up for it )

Good luck

Old 08 January 2012, 07:56   #10
Obliterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozy View Post
Hi, i'm a fan of the ultima series, especially ultima IV. I'm still tyring to get into Ultima V even though i first bought the game 20 years ago

Even so the graphics look very dated (i thought this even when i first bought the game 20 years ago, but the cloth map and medallion made up for it )

Good luck
A friend of mine had Ultima IV with the cloth map and medallion too it was a awesome game we sat down and played that game all the time we once spent a weekend once just playing Ultima IV
Old 08 January 2012, 10:25   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Amigan Software have a free utility for editing save games from various RPGs, including the Ultima series:

http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#mce

Maybe it can import/export as well? Or if not I guess you could manually re-create your character with the same name, stats etc?

EDIT: Doesn't look like it works for Ultima VI though.
It's good to know my MCE utility is popular :-)
MCE doesn't support Ultima 6 (yet), nor automatic conversion of characters among different Ultimas. But, as mentioned, you can manually edit the characters to simulate the same result.
Old 18 January 2012, 00:41   #12
Snoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterator View Post
A friend of mine had Ultima IV with the cloth map and medallion too it was a awesome game we sat down and played that game all the time we once spent a weekend once just playing Ultima IV
I agree, ultima iv was the best game. I originally had this game on the atari 800xl, it is an enchanting world to a 9-10 yr old kid and i think it has an educational side as there is quite a lot of reading and writing to do in this game. (making notes of mantra's, spells, locations with sextants etc)

I seem to remember thinking i found a cheat in the game by going in and out of britannia castle to take the money from the treasury...or buying reagents from the blind lady and giving just 1 gold each time!! then when i went to the seer i got a terrible report on the virtue of honesty so i was well behaved from then onwards

Old 22 April 2012, 21:49   #13
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

OK, MCE 7.2 has been released, featuring Ultima 6 support... http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/
Old 24 April 2021, 23:20   #14
nyteshade

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's good to know my MCE utility is popular :-)
MCE doesn't support Ultima 6 (yet), nor automatic conversion of characters among different Ultimas. But, as mentioned, you can manually edit the characters to simulate the same result.
Learning to program on the Amiga started with modifying and figuring out save game files. The first two games I did this for was Battletech Crescent Hawk's Inception and Ultima VI. In the later, the values you may ever want to modify are spread out over several files on the Amiga if I recall correctly. I mean of course, I was young, and who wouldn't want more gold, right?

Until August of last year (our home burned down in a wildfire), I even had the source code (AmigaBASIC) that I used to write the Battletech program. By the time I found out how to modify values in it, I felt bad for cheating so I instead created a shop and games of chance that you could "play" outside the game. Buying mech hardware that was programmed in the game but not exposed in normal shops in the game. Gambling and such. All of this rather than directly cheating. lol, the problems with having morals.
Old 15 May 2021, 10:06   #15
slaapliedje

It has been a few years since I looked into this, but basically you get an extra 200xp to start... or something like that. Pretty much just gives you a slightly less grindy experience.

If I recall correctly, depending on class you pick is the level you start at. I think 100xp puts you at level 1, 200 at level 2, and it doubles after that. With 200xp extra, you start at either 3 or 4. But I think the extra xp is based on what your XP was in the previous game (with level 8 being required to win Ultima IV.)

Funny thing is, Ultima III would let you import characters from Wizardry.
Old 15 May 2021, 10:08   #16
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozy View Post
I agree, ultima iv was the best game. I originally had this game on the atari 800xl, it is an enchanting world to a 9-10 yr old kid and i think it has an educational side as there is quite a lot of reading and writing to do in this game. (making notes of mantra's, spells, locations with sextants etc)

I seem to remember thinking i found a cheat in the game by going in and out of britannia castle to take the money from the treasury...or buying reagents from the blind lady and giving just 1 gold each time!! then when i went to the seer i got a terrible report on the virtue of honesty so i was well behaved from then onwards
I hex edited the shit out of Ultima IV on my 800xl. Had to fix the empty sectors that were part of the copy protection, plus edited my characters all to level 99 and gave them magic Wands! When you gave them 9999 hitpoints it would show as I99 in game (if I remember right). Also figured out how to remove poison and resurrect them!