English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 May 2021, 19:22   #21
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
What a load of rubbish. The code should be self documenting. If you need to 'exhaustively' document every line you are obviously writing bad code.
If you read the rest of the paragraph I wrote, you'll see that I said what you said.
Old 20 May 2021, 20:11   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

If there is no commercial value in software, upload it to archive.org. Sometimes someone might check it out and even contact you on something you did... If nothing else, it will be preserved...
Old 20 May 2021, 20:12   #23
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
The code should be self documenting.
Code can't always be self documenting. While too many comments are bad, so are too few.
Old 20 May 2021, 20:14   #24
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
If there is no commercial value in software, upload it to archive.org. Sometimes someone might check it out and even contact you on something you did... If nothing else, it will be preserved...
At a cost?
Old 20 May 2021, 20:23   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not sure what do you mean? There is no cost involved to have something loaded to Archive.org as far as I know.
Old 11 August 2021, 15:36   #26
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
Hi Foebane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Ironically, my old Amiga software runs fine on emulation, and I'm sure I could get the MS-DOS stuff to run on DOSBox, so I might keep some of it, and my modern-day software still runs fine, so that will stay.

There is not just DOSBox, which BTW is designed and optimized to run DOS games. I would really be surprised, if your stuff doesn't run with PCem, for example.

There are also the Bridgeboards, as well as PCX and PC-Task for Amiga. You should really find a DOS emulator which runs your old stuff.

For preservation, you can also upload them to the EAB file server.
Old 11 August 2021, 15:40   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Open Source them and upload them to Github (or similar)?

Maybe a fellow user will fork them and make them compatible with newer OS?

Or if you include releases (binaries) perhaps people running legacy OS will find use for them.

Either way better than letting the work rot on your drive.
Old 11 August 2021, 18:00   #28
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastyCDGS View Post
For preservation, you can also upload them to the EAB file server.
Can I really upload MS-DOS program code to the EAB file server? As it is, I have two Amiga games I wrote I would like to upload, but I lost the originals and the only existing copies are part of compendium floppies like the Assassins game disks. Are they still valid? Could they be separated from the other games on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Open Source them and upload them to Github (or similar)?

Maybe a fellow user will fork them and make them compatible with newer OS?

Or if you include releases (binaries) perhaps people running legacy OS will find use for them.
I've never used Github, it looks complicated to me. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Old 11 August 2021, 19:08   #29
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
Quote:
Can I really upload MS-DOS program code to the EAB file server? As it is, I have two Amiga games I wrote I would like to upload, but I lost the originals and the only existing copies are part of compendium floppies like the Assassins game disks. Are they still valid? Could they be separated from the other games on there?
You can create folders in your upload directory on EAB as you like, so it is no problem to separate them.

If I can upload an almost complete Total DOS Collection to EAB (I doublechecked by asking a mod for permission), why you should not be able to upload DOS source code?
There even is a "zzz Non Amiga" directory in the main tree on EAB file server.

Quote:
I've never used Github, it looks complicated to me. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
You can also use Gitlab. On creating a repository in gitlab, it shows you the git commands you need for importing your project files. Might be more easy for you.
Old 12 August 2021, 16:14   #30
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Fix it, of course. Every programmer ends up like Jacob Marley, wearing the chain they forged in life
Old 12 August 2021, 17:13   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Github is a git repository with a web frontend. The actual thing you would need to learn the basics of is git. And that has a learning curve, for sure. You can keep the usage pretty basic though, you can do most of your work if you know how the following commands work:
  • git clone
  • git status
  • git commit
  • git push
  • git pull

And the rest you lookup on Stack Overflow when the moment comes that you need to do something out of the ordinary ("Shit, I need to undo this commit I just made... how do I do that?").

I'm sure most beginner git tutorials will use github already as it is a pretty standard place to create public or private git repositories for free.
Old 27 August 2021, 15:15   #32
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Github is a git repository with a web frontend. The actual thing you would need to learn the basics of is git.

It helps to understand git, but it's not neccessary. I'm using TortoiseGit, which makes it totally easy and convenient to use, and you can use practically all features. I only have to resort to commandline for extreme obscure stuff which you don't need on a daily basis anyway.

He should learn the git workflow though.
Old 28 August 2021, 00:54   #33
Foebane
Banned

I'm not a usual coder, I tend to write stuff as I go along and don't plan anything beforehand whatsoever, I have never figured out how to use debugging tools in the language I'm using, and just tend to debug in my own way by putting in temporary code that displays variables, etc, and when it comes to trapping errors, I just put in a lot of if statements to see if something exists before I try to access it.

And my version numbers are very loosely defined, I don't log every single change I make and can't be bothered with all of that. I simply decide that if I've made, like, a single complete rewrite of all code, then it moves up a whole version number.

Maybe git allows me to keep track of all that, but I'm too oldschool to bother with such maintenance. Besides, all my programs are old code from decades ago, and my current project is personal (or at least, others would find it awkward to use and it is tailored for my particular WinUAE emulation setup).
Old 28 August 2021, 15:32   #34
jcgeuze

upload the source to github, maybe someone will improve it or take over your project.
Old 28 August 2021, 16:45   #35
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgeuze View Post
upload the source to github, maybe someone will improve it or take over your project.
No way, that's the last thing I want. My code, my rules.
Old 28 August 2021, 17:11   #36
sparhawk

Quote:
No way, that's the last thing I want. My code, my rules.

Don't worry. Most of the time this will not happen anyway because of the user/developer ratio.
Old 02 September 2021, 10:14   #37
Foebane
Banned

So everyone on EAB or ABIME has storage space? How do I access mine? I want to backup my programs on there.
Old 02 September 2021, 23:15   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

No... there used to be an FTP but I'm not sure if that is still alive.
Old 03 September 2021, 00:24   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
So everyone on EAB or ABIME has storage space? How do I access mine? I want to backup my programs on there.
If you're talking about GitHub then it is owned by M$ and they provide 500MB of storage for each developer for free. And if your projects are mainly source code that is a LOT of projects.
Old 03 September 2021, 11:40   #40
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If you're talking about GitHub then it is owned by M$ and they provide 500MB of storage for each developer for free. And if your projects are mainly source code that is a LOT of projects.
Not really, there's compiled executables as well. But since all of my projects will easily fit into an email attachment, I should be fine.

But I will investigate GitHub.