English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 30 May 2020, 00:16   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
WTD: Internal MIDI interface for A1500 / A2000

I am looking for an internal MIDI interface that will go inside:

A1500 / A2000

I can use an external one but would rather find an internal one as I am very limited by not having deskspace.

Tia
Old 30 May 2020, 00:30   #2
amiman99

Do they make internal ones?
Old 30 May 2020, 05:34   #3
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Do they make internal ones?
Some of the sound cards have MIDI features but I don't think there are any that are ONLY a MIDI interface.

A lot of the external ones are very small boxes - around the size of a pack of cigarettes - so they don't really take up much space. Many of them you just screw to the serial port and let it hang down with the MIDI cables plugged in. Like that they just take up maybe an inch behind the case.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:13   #4
ElectroBlaster

Afaik Datel made an internal one that fits into one of the blanking plates towards the power supply. I have seen two over the years but they were part of a full setup, or part of a base unit that was not tested on ebay.

I did try and bid but was not happy about having to have another full machine just for one small board. Maybe I sould just take the hit tbh.

I really want it internal! I have a bunch of external midi interfaces in all shapes and sizes. But the internal one appeals big time! I may even try an idea. I have an early datel interface with a short circuit board. I was thinking about changing the plud out for an idc header and plugging that onto the 1500's board. All I would need to create is to angle mounts out of metal and screw it all in.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:53   #5
amiman99

One solution for you I can think of is using the Amiga Master Midi adapter like this one:
https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...ct.aspx?id=690
Then, take it apart from the case install it inside with a custom bracket (maybe 3D printed?), and use the internal serial header on A2000s motherboard.
You will need to create your own adapter, or just route the cable to the outside serial connector.
What do you think?
Old 01 June 2020, 00:06   #6
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
One solution for you I can think of is using the Amiga Master Midi adapter like this one:
https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...ct.aspx?id=690
Then, take it apart from the case install it inside with a custom bracket (maybe 3D printed?), and use the internal serial header on A2000s motherboard.
You will need to create your own adapter, or just route the cable to the outside serial connector.
What do you think?
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing! I have some of those exact interfaces. But I do have one that is the same style, but the colour is different and it has a much less detailed label. Also the board is half the size so I think it may just work how I want it to. Thinking I really should invest in a 3d printer aswell.
Old 01 June 2020, 05:16   #7
pgovotsos

There is one designed for internal use in a 2000 style case. It connects to the internal serial port then is mounted to the slit openings. It takes up 2 slots. I remember it working but it's been so long I can't remember how well.

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...ct.aspx?id=697