English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 17 November 2006, 16:43   #41
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
It does not work.
CRLMAMEPRO is not able to "dir2dat" the content of an 7zipped archive. It just lists the xxx.7z file but not the adf ones IN this archive.
Code:
clrmamepro 3.95b (13-Nov-2006)
# added: 7z/rar support for About's drag'n drop feature
# added: 7z/rar support for About's Search CRC32 in Folder feature
It's a lack of real 7zip support!
Old 18 November 2006, 20:31   #42
[idoru]

Well, bogy did say in the readme when he added REBUILD support for 7z/rar in v3.94 that he had no plans to implement that.

Quote:
Before you ask:
===============

No, currently I don't plan to add any compress-related support.
Old 21 November 2006, 15:05   #43
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I wonder how much a Zip compressed Merged set like this saves? IS it possible to produce CLR dats for ZIP merged set (and I could batch convert them to 7zip later?!)
Old 21 November 2006, 16:52   #44
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
I wonder how much a Zip compressed Merged set like this saves? IS it possible to produce CLR dats for ZIP merged set (and I could batch convert them to 7zip later?!)
This should be possible.
I am going to merge the whole Amiga Tosec stuff after the next update and then i can provide the Dats.
Old 04 December 2006, 00:05   #45
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I wonder if the TOSEC db can be output in some other format I can use... like OLL which uses XML....

I have to confess I really DONT like TIM, I liked TUGID as I could understand it and CLRMame and RomCenter have TOO many switches and settings for my liking.

I want a SIMPLE file management tool like OLL which tells me what I have and what I am missing and not a lot else!
Old 04 December 2006, 00:13   #46
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Update: Well I found TIM is supposed to be able to export XML but everytime I do it the damn thing crashes... I wonder if they fix the bugs it has... TUGID was stable for me!!
Old 05 December 2006, 00:20   #47
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
oh well, to me the baddest point is that we have up to 5 entries for only one game when we only need a standard cracked version + a trained one. Others are optional to me....
Old 05 December 2006, 08:55   #48
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Ah... but if the DAT was in XML and used in Offlinelist there is a duplicate filter function. Hence you can set the thing to ignore the extra copies.

All I want is the XML TOSEC dats and I'll be doing the rest of conversion myself. There are some TOSEC OLL dats but they are 2004 dated
Old 06 December 2006, 14:21   #49
sut

Is this not all simlar to what the Goodmerge program does for the Goodtools sets ?

Is there no way that program could be adapted ? it does show a tosec option but i've not explored it.

http://goodmerge.sourceforge.net/
Old 07 December 2006, 10:09   #50
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

IIRC Goodmerge uses GoodTools type DATS and not TOSEC dats (ie diff files are collected) ???
Old 11 December 2006, 09:54   #51
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

If anyone else feels that TOSEC has "lost the plot" on the Alts and Bad dumps issue then get on over to TOSEC.info and make yourself heard, otherwise they will continue with this mess (IMHO)

http://www.tosec.info/modules/newbb/...#forumpost2676
Old 11 December 2006, 13:42   #52
DamienD
Banned

Methanoid, you may say that they've lost the plot when it comes to "alts" but how do you know which versions are 100% working? I know that in my personal WinUAE configs I've had to sometimes use [a1], [a2] or others as the .ADFs without the alt flag haven't worked fully

Yes it would be good to remove alts but only once a 100% verified / tested version has been found. This will take a lot of time.

Ok, I can see your point about about "bad dumps" but even these are sometimes known to work...
Old 11 December 2006, 16:08   #53
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Damien

I think we have "almost" had an offer from Codetapper to identify the good ones.

But TBH the problem just grows until eventually it will be impossible to fix. Unless and until the TOSEC team take the bull by the horns and decide to stop taking new Alts in and to look to eliminate them in a way (perhaps not the way I suggested) that works... well until that time I think TOSEC is (fatally) flawed.

Look at projects like Gamebase and Lemonade that only include working files.

I mean, whats to stop me taking a workbench disk and changing one file (and doing this 40 times) and guess what... next TOSEC dat... 40 new Workbench 1.3 Alt files... Really.... I mean how can they say No when they have accepted all that crap so far? Oooops I left write protect off the disk and saved my Highscore... new Alt file...

Old 11 December 2006, 17:36   #54
BippyM
Global Moderator

There will never be the perfect solution to the alts/bad dump pickle!

Personally I think alts and bad dumps should be moved to their own dat and only verified 100% working games should be in the main dat. As DamienD pointed out though, how can one bew certain that an adf or set of adf's work for a particular game without the renamer playing through the whole game?

Also take into account the number of un-named adf's that are floating about. Eventually these will make it into tosec, now if the tosec team decide to simply delete and not include these alts in dats they WILL sooner or later find their way back as users keep sending in unidentified adf's

A line needs to be drawn and for the average user all the alts and bad dumps are not needed but for comleteness and to ensure that all possible adf's are identified so no alts are left they need to be included.

So again my suggestion is for someone (do you want to offer) sits and plays through every game, checks every disk structure for i/o errors and then clean dats for each set are created. This way the user has the option to download the slimline dats or the complete set.
Old 11 December 2006, 17:59   #55
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Evil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
FFS no-one uses LZH now, and PCs are much faster these days anyway.
No one - really?

Well, then do an experiment: Take a LHA archive from the Amiga, (optionally RENAME it to LZH first) and open it with WinRAR!
Then press Alt-I ...
Old 11 December 2006, 18:10   #56
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
No one - really?

Well, then do an experiment: Take a LHA archive from the Amiga, (optionally RENAME it to LZH first) and open it with WinRAR!
Then press Alt-I ...

And then what ... Stare in amazement at the =

Version to Extract : Unknown
Host OS : Unknown

I saw the point fly past the window but didnt manage to get it.
Old 11 December 2006, 22:11   #57
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Personally I think alts and bad dumps should be moved to their own dat and only verified 100% working games should be in the main dat.
oh boy, how i would like it me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
And then what ... Stare in amazement at the =

Version to Extract : Unknown
Host OS : Unknown

I saw the point fly past the window but didnt manage to get it.
heheheheheeeeee... cute

Last edited by BippyM; 12 December 2006 at 15:45.
Old 12 December 2006, 00:12   #58
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
There will never be the perfect solution to the alts/bad dump pickle!

Personally I think alts and bad dumps should be moved to their own dat and only verified 100% working games should be in the main dat. As DamienD pointed out though, how can one bew certain that an adf or set of adf's work for a particular game without the renamer playing through the whole game?
Sounds at least something of a solution....

I was rather horrified as having left the machine on all day scanning my older TOSEC set (chunks of which are now not recognised at all like 600Mb of X68000 games!!!! wtf???) and returning to find that I have approx 20Gb of files that aren't recognised.

TOSEC which in my naivety thought was almost comprehensive has large gaps on all the "console" type formats. I had a full set of PCEngine stuff that Offlinelist assembled. Only 2 of the 200 files were spotted by TIM. Similar with the N64 collection if I recall.

If I thought there was life in the TOSEC project I'd send them to a renamer but.. can I be arsed?
Old 12 December 2006, 15:47   #59
BippyM
Global Moderator

If you have amiga adf's to rename then send them to me.. I'm a renamer and when I get the spur I'll rename 1000-2000 adf's (Ask Ido if you don't believe me) before I get bored again!

If you want to do this tell me and i'll send you dats of my non-named stuff so you don't send dupes

Gimme a holler
Old 12 December 2006, 15:54   #60
Marcuz

i give you a holler!