English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 23 March 2009, 16:48   #661
PandMonium

well, language codes are always lower case, if some set has a country flag used as language flag it is off course wrong (with the new standard the country codes will all be upcase, not only the first letter).
From what i remember and what i think is correct, the country code is used as you know to mark the country where the software was published, language is for in game language, 3 or more use (Mx), about your question i think that both are used when they are different from what would be expected, in your example i guess that if the game was published in Germany i would expect that the in-game language was deutsch too but it isn't so there is a language flag too, if 2 versions of the game were published one in english and other in german, they would be diferenciated by that i guess...
Turrican 3 (1993)(Softgold)(De)(en)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr HLM]
Turrican 3 (1993)(Softgold)(De)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr HLM]

when country and language are similar we don't use it (so there is no (De)(de)).
I know it may be weird in some cases but is just other tnc field and can be quite useful sometimes, for example in sets that are from Japan but use english ingame so they can be played by us "(Jp)" vs "(Jp)(en)" [you can find some in Sega Mega CD or Dreamcast for example]
Old 23 March 2009, 17:00   #662
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandMonium View Post
well, language codes are always lower case, if some set has a country flag used as language flag it is off course wrong
I think in current amiga Games dat all single (ingame) languages are uppercase, i have always wondered about that.
Old 23 March 2009, 17:32   #663
PandMonium

well, uppercase codes are for Countries and lowercase ones are languages, if they are used the other way then they are wrong but since idoru is the maintainer i think there shouldn't be such mistake :s
Old 23 March 2009, 17:42   #664
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandMonium View Post
well, uppercase codes are for Countries and lowercase ones are languages, if they are used the other way then they are wrong but since idoru is the maintainer i think there shouldn't be such mistake :s
Then you mean, i am wrong?
Old 23 March 2009, 17:55   #665
PandMonium

lol both could be wrong, i don't know because i don't check those sets myself and know little about them, what i meant is that according to the TNC rules, country codes are always uppercased (at least for the first letter, next changes will include all upper case iso-alpha2 standard) and language codes are lower case.
So if (De) is present in ANY tosec set it is supposed to be a country flag, if thats not the case and there are sets using then for language flag then they are wrong
I'm not saying that there aren't because i know currently there are errors in everything, just saying that there shouldn't be
Old 23 March 2009, 18:22   #666
mai

...another example to clear up this subject.
Simulman 01 - Simulman (1993)(Simulmondo)(It)[h Comax]
That would mean the game was published in Italy only, maybe its correct, but
How should i know the game was published in Italy only and why
HOL means publisher is "Simulmondo - Worldwide"?

another example:
Tex 03 - Spettri (1993)(Simulmondo)(It)[cr Comax]
For this example HOL means publisher is "Simulmondo - Italy".
So, if the game was published in Italy only, the name seems to be correct.
Old 23 March 2009, 18:38   #667
PandMonium

can't help you much more, already said what i knew about it
Country codes are used to identify the country or area where that version of the game was published, it doesn't mean that that game was only released in Italy, there could be other versions for other parts of the world, its a bit confusing... An example could be one of those games that had different versions / releases in different parts of the world (eg. US / Japan / Europe), an OS version released for example here in PT, and so on.

I understand that it is not easy to always known if it is more correct to use country or language flags etc
Old 23 March 2009, 21:32   #668
paranoid
Phone Zen

In Demos - Music, the music pack "Nellie The Elephant (19xx)(Fatal)" should probably be "Nellie The Elephant (1992)(Fatal by Design)". The name has 'by Design' is in the scroller, and it was uploaded to Main Source BBS and Akira Project BBS in April of 1992. (Not definitive, but probably a very good bet it was done in '92.)
Old 24 March 2009, 12:17   #669
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread closed.. The new thread is >>>HERE<<<