English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 September 2023, 21:04   #1
back2skooldaze

pistorm lite32 ?

Hi Ive finally got os3.2 installed on an a1200 desktop with pistorm lite32 and a surf squirrel pcmcia cd rom+gotek!

What i'd like to know is apart from the fast cpu in sys info what else is there ?
Ive checked the memory and there seems to be 2 more memory settings but showing 0kb in total and each? and then theres the 2mb chip mem?

How do i get more fast ram using the pistorm? My sd card was already setup using emu68 so after connecting a keyboard and hdmi cable i am not able to do anything? Ive been told its setup as an accelerator only and to do anything else i need to use caffieneOS?

I can't seem to access the pistorm settings via the amiga side? Ive read you can do this? to change memory settings and cpu settings?
Old 12 September 2023, 10:21   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Think your getting your emulators mixed up.

You cant access any settings with EMU68. You use config file, set stuff in there. Emu68, you just need to set your kickstart file location (or just comment it out for testing). RAM should just show. If card is configured correctly, only thing that would cause issues is dirty contact on edge connector. Best you can do with Emu68, is mount the FAT32 partition and then you can edit config file while in AmigaOS.

Musashi is a completely different story. It runs ontop of linux and that one you can SSH into and tweak and alter stuff. It also lets you use all the pi's goodies. Emu68 needs drivers and stuff written from scratch.

What CPU does sysinfo show. As it should be 68040 with FPU 68882. If its not showing that, is your card loading CPU core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2skooldaze View Post
Hi Ive finally got os3.2 installed on an a1200 desktop with pistorm lite32 and a surf squirrel pcmcia cd rom+gotek!

What i'd like to know is apart from the fast cpu in sys info what else is there ?
Ive checked the memory and there seems to be 2 more memory settings but showing 0kb in total and each? and then theres the 2mb chip mem?

How do i get more fast ram using the pistorm? My sd card was already setup using emu68 so after connecting a keyboard and hdmi cable i am not able to do anything? Ive been told its setup as an accelerator only and to do anything else i need to use caffieneOS?

I can't seem to access the pistorm settings via the amiga side? Ive read you can do this? to change memory settings and cpu settings?
Old 12 September 2023, 12:03   #3
derSammler

Quote:
Best you can do with Emu68, is mount the FAT32 partition and then you can edit config file while in AmigaOS.
You can't, as Emu68 makes the partition read-only. You would need to add "sd.unit0=rw" to cmdline.txt, which however would be a very bad idea. There's a good reason why you can't write to it by default, as it would be easy for the user or a malfunctioning program to do something on the FAT32 partition that makes it no longer boot.

Quote:
My sd card was already setup using emu68 so after connecting a keyboard and hdmi cable i am not able to do anything?
I don't fully understand what you mean by this. On HDMI, you should see the Emu68 logo. You can install P96 to use RTG modes over HDMI. You connect a keyboard?!

Also, was your SD card already prepared by someone else? I would recommend going to https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68/re...v0.16-beta.2.1, download the package and put it onto the SD card again.
Old 12 September 2023, 14:05   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
You can't, as Emu68 makes the partition read-only. You would need to add "sd.unit0=rw" to cmdline.txt, which however would be a very bad idea. There's a good reason why you can't write to it by default, as it would be easy for the user or a malfunctioning program to do something on the FAT32 partition that makes it no longer boot.

Sorry completely disagree. Why try and scare people. Nothing wrong with having write access to it, worst that can happen is partition gets screwed up. So what, its like 30mb, plus your kickstart images.
Takes seconds to reformat and copy emu68 files across.

Just so you know, on Pi4 you need to change that to "emmc.unit0=rw".
Old 12 September 2023, 14:15   #5
derSammler

That has nothing to do with "scaring people". You set up the config.txt once and then never have to touch it again. Also, you rely on CrossDOS or fat95, which may not be fully stable when writing to FAT32. Then there is line-ending on text files, which an editor on the Amiga may mess up so that the Pi can no longer read the file, etc.

It just makes no sense. If you screw it up and have to use a PC to repair it, why not make changes only on the PC anyway..?

Also note that making unit 0 rw does not limit write access to the FAT32 partition. By design, the whole cards becomes writable using unit 0, so you can mess up everything if code runs amok, not just "30mb". There's again a good reason why it is read-only.

Last edited by derSammler; 12 September 2023 at 14:23.
Old 12 September 2023, 15:07   #6
Dunny

Quote:
scary scary don't write-enable the FAT32 partition etc ect
If you don't make the boot partition writeable then you have to open up the Amiga and pop out the uSD card every time you want to update, and nobody wants to have to do that.

And no, uSD extenders are not reliable enough.
Old 12 September 2023, 18:26   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
If you don't make the boot partition writeable then you have to open up the Amiga and pop out the uSD card every time you want to update, and nobody wants to have to do that.

And no, uSD extenders are not reliable enough.

Agree, I bought a few extenders. Niether worked correctly on PS32, but worked fine with other devices. Very odd.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with "scaring people". You set up the config.txt once and then never have to touch it again. Also, you rely on CrossDOS or fat95, which may not be fully stable when writing to FAT32. Then there is line-ending on text files, which an editor on the Amiga may mess up so that the Pi can no longer read the file, etc.

It just makes no sense. If you screw it up and have to use a PC to repair it, why not make changes only on the PC anyway..?

Also note that making unit 0 rw does not limit write access to the FAT32 partition. By design, the whole cards becomes writable using unit 0, so you can mess up everything if code runs amok, not just "30mb". There's again a good reason why it is read-only.

Mounting partition is handy, as You can backup HDD, .
Like I said "Scaring". Never ever had a FAT write issue on Amiga ever.
You can also update, overclock etc etc if you need to.
Old 12 September 2023, 18:38   #8
klx300r

what's the latest stable update for emu68 when using a Pi3A+. Very happy with mine using the March firmware but I've read that there has been chip ram speed improvements since then but not sure if that's for Pi4 users?

Also is there a 'how to' on installing new firmware without messing up any files with AmigaOS etc.
Old 12 September 2023, 18:54   #9
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ Boing-Ball

thanks will check it out
Old 12 September 2023, 19:26   #10
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Agree, I bought a few extenders. Niether worked correctly on PS32, but worked fine with other devices. Very odd.
One thing that can explain it is, that its stability depends on what clock speed the SD driver tries to access the card with. Some SD drivers do training and will lower the frequency until no errors occur, others just select a speed and hope for the best.

Slower frequencies work with those extenders, but the faster frequencies (past 25MHz to pull a number out of a hat) can barely tolerate any kind of adapter apart from the big -> small ones that microSD cards ship with.

The faster the transfer speed, the faster the frequency has to be.
Old 12 September 2023, 23:46   #11
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Just so you know, on Pi4 you need to change that to "emmc.unit0=rw".
Where exactly is this entered, please? I've tried the mount file, tooltypes, and CLI, and none have worked.
Old 13 September 2023, 00:12   #12
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
I think it’s found under the FAT32 partition where EMU68 lives. There is a config file in there which points to kickstart file etc…
I tried it in there, too, but no success. Does it have to be in a particular position in the config file, or does order not matter?
Old 13 September 2023, 05:07   #13
Channel-Z

It's in the cmdline.txt

Code must be on one line.

Here's a sample of what mine looks like for my Pi3b+.

buptest=256 bupiter=1 logo=purple vc4.mem=8 sd.unit0=rw emmc.unit0=rw
Old 13 September 2023, 05:39   #14
nikosidis

For extender cable at least on Pi3 I use one that is 15cm. I never have any problem with it. The extender is with the flat ribbon cable and goes to the right side of my A1200. That way I can close the computer and eventually the plan is to get rid of it. Right now there is a lot of updates and bug fixes going on. I try to help with beta-testing.
Old 13 September 2023, 09:55   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
One thing that can explain it is, that its stability depends on what clock speed the SD driver tries to access the card with. Some SD drivers do training and will lower the frequency until no errors occur, others just select a speed and hope for the best.

Slower frequencies work with those extenders, but the faster frequencies (past 25MHz to pull a number out of a hat) can barely tolerate any kind of adapter apart from the big -> small ones that microSD cards ship with.

The faster the transfer speed, the faster the frequency has to be.

I have mine set to 100MHz as my SD can handle those speeds. Will try it at lower speed, next time I have it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopDOS View Post
It's in the cmdline.txt

Code must be on one line.

Here's a sample of what mine looks like for my Pi3b+.

buptest=256 bupiter=1 logo=purple vc4.mem=8 sd.unit0=rw emmc.unit0=rw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Where exactly is this entered, please? I've tried the mount file, tooltypes, and CLI, and none have worked.

As SnoopDOS said.
You have to create a cmdline.txt (same location as config.txt) and add commands to that.
Old 13 September 2023, 20:44   #16
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
You have to create a cmdline.txt (same location as config.txt) and add commands to that.
That was the missing bit information that I needed! Thanks!
Old 14 October 2023, 15:41   #17
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2skooldaze View Post
Hi Ive finally got os3.2 installed on an a1200 desktop with pistorm lite32 and a surf squirrel pcmcia cd rom+gotek
How did you get the Surf Squirrel working? It just hangs when attempting to scan the squirrelscsi.device SCSI Bus or attempting to mount a squirrelscsi.device dos driver.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 14 October 2023, 23:37   #18
BigD

Thank you for reaching out! There aren't many of us who have tried this! I guess I need to swap out my Surf Squirrel for a regular one!
Old 15 October 2023, 01:03   #19
BigD

Good man! Thank you.
Old 29 October 2023, 12:47   #20
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
....When I have sometime will try a big standard 3.2.2 and 3.2.2.1 installation with a blizzard 1230 or 1260 to play about with the surf squirrel and then introduce a a PiStorm to see what the deal is….
Did you have chance to test this?