English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2008, 14:38   #21
Paul_s

anyone fancy rounding up some ST users for a BBQ?
Old 03 December 2008, 14:45   #22
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
So there is a reason why john4p should buy a real machine then
Nope - I found out how to make the turbo-mode very fun and very playable under WinUAE: 68030 processor, VSync off, 50Hz refresh-rate, adjustable CPU-chipset-setting (NEITHER "real A500-speed" NOR "fastest as possible").
When the CPU-chipset-slider is set to 2 positions from the left it runs great! The speed is about twice as fast as on an A500 - but still very playable and fun! And smooth!

Don't use the above setting for other games! My standard settings for other games are: 68040, VSync on, 100Hz, 100 fps, "fastest possible"
Old 03 December 2008, 16:29   #23
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@johny p: thanks for the tip, I usually use 030 with JIT that makes Lotus3 ultra smooth even on double-player-screen with the rain effect
And checkout a combination of both, now THAT'S a cool effect
Old 03 December 2008, 16:36   #24
john4p
Competition Moderator

Yeah, Lotus 3 with activated JIT runs so smooth like I always wished it would run when I was playing the game on my Amiga 500...
Old 03 December 2008, 17:58   #25
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-Pie View Post
Anyone got a list of games that show off the power of the Amiga compared to the ST? I already know of Shadow Of the Beast. Any suggestions?
Dungeon Master seems to be better on the Atari ST. Also there are many additional dungeons for the ST, while there are none on the Amiga that I know of. The Dungeon Master originated on the ST and was ported almost 2 years later to the Amiga. I play Atari ST games on my Amiga with Hatari, but I guess noone is playing Amiga games on Atari hardware, so the Amiga wins again.
Old 03 December 2008, 18:34   #26
Ian
Global Moderator

Just about any 3d game is better played on the ST, I know the speed difference today would be laughed at, but back then it made a lot of difference.
Old 03 December 2008, 20:05   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yeah, well about the clocking difference it's like : "Ya know mainnn, my c*ck is 2 inches longer than yours, that's changing the whole world for christ sakes lol".

Small philosophy here
Old 03 December 2008, 20:07   #28
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I shouldnt say it I quite like TOS you know with the curtains drawn and some of it apps WP,DTP................
and theres a few games that never made it to the Amiga but Hatari on a 030

Last edited by Retro1234; 03 December 2008 at 20:39.
Old 03 December 2008, 20:21   #29
qwak
Game Developer

Send a message via MSN to qwak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-Pie View Post
Anyone got a list of games that show off the power of the Amiga compared to the ST? I already know of Shadow Of the Beast. Any suggestions?
While I loved coding on the ST, I'm afraid the Amiga was far superior. I did Nitro for both the Amiga and the ST. Amiga version scrolled any direction. ST version only up and down. Atari ST had very limited hardware scrolling...

Amiga rulez!!
Old 03 December 2008, 20:54   #30
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwak View Post
While I loved coding on the ST, I'm afraid the Amiga was far superior. I did Nitro for both the Amiga and the ST. Amiga version scrolled any direction. ST version only up and down. Atari ST had very limited hardware scrolling...

Amiga rulez!!
You could finally put my mind at rest here.....when I bought nitro on the amiga I remember reading in the instructions about running over pedestrians. Is this in the Atari version? or did it get dropped from both?
Old 03 December 2008, 20:59   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I did Nitro for both the Amiga and the ST. Amiga version scrolled any direction. ST version only up and down. Atari ST had very limited hardware scrolling...

Amiga rulez!!
But it is seems possible. Have you checked Thalion's Warp on the ST? It scrolls smoothly in any direction.

btw: Nitro rules!!
Old 03 December 2008, 21:05   #32
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlega View Post
You could finally put my mind at rest here.....when I bought nitro on the amiga I remember reading in the instructions about running over pedestrians. Is this in the Atari version? or did it get dropped from both?
Hi There,

Yes, it was only in the ST version. You'd run them over, and it let a little red blob on the floor!!

Shocking huh!?
Old 03 December 2008, 21:09   #33
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
But it is seems possible. Have you checked Thalion's Warp on the ST? It scrolls smoothly in any direction.

btw: Nitro rules!!
Ah thanks!

Not seen is no..

But. I did a very smooth ST sideways scrolling (actually 8 way) shooter. 60 FPS. In the style of Uridium. But you could land the ship and it turned in to a tank..

The scrolling was cool. But still just s/w scrolling. It was parallax too.

I also did actually full-screen h/w scrolling (for another, unpublished game). I remember showing it to the guys at Bullfrog at an interview, and they were totally perprexed and couldn't figure out how I did it..

Full screen, 16 colour, h/w scrolling (only up and down in 2 pixels steps though). Needless to say, I didn't tell them how it was done! Ha..

I'd be more than happy to release all my old unpublished games for the ST, in to public domain, if anyone'd be interested?
Old 03 December 2008, 21:09   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Hi There,

Yes, it was only in the ST version. You'd run them over, and it let a little red blob on the floor!!

Shocking huh!?
Any chance of a 'fix' for the Amiga version?
Old 03 December 2008, 21:13   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Ah thanks!

Not seen is no..

But. I did a very smooth ST sideways scrolling (actually 8 way) shooter. 60 FPS. In the style of Uridium. But you could land the ship and it turned in to a tank..

The scrolling was cool. But still just s/w scrolling. It was parallax too.

I also did actually full-screen h/w scrolling (for another, unpublished game). I remember showing it to the guys at Bullfrog at an interview, and they were totally perprexed and couldn't figure out how I did it..

Full screen, 16 colour, h/w scrolling (only up and down in 2 pixels steps though). Needless to say, I didn't tell them how it was done! Ha..

I'd be more than happy to release all my old unpublished games for the ST, in to public domain, if anyone'd be interested?
Nice story qwak. I would love to see your smooth scrolling ST shooter and your other unreleased ST games. Thalion's Warp has a 8-way scrolling too, so not really ANY direction.

Old 03 December 2008, 21:14   #36
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Hi There,

Shocking huh!?
I actually took the game back to the shop to get another copy as I thought it was defective! (yes I was that stupid)
Old 03 December 2008, 21:17   #37
AmigaFriend

20 September 1988 by 10:00h:

Entered store to buy Atari ST for music usage and because it had MIDI.

10:05h:
me: I want to buy an Atari ST because i want to record music on my new synth and want to plug it to MIDI
10:20h:
Sales person says to me: "We've got this new computer, the Amiga, which is excelent for music also." Put a demo on it, pumping sound being delivered from the monitor speakers and I thought: "No way! Is that SOUND coming from this computer?" Totaly sold.
10:40h:
Bought some (pirated, yes where sold on the store) games, and two boxes of blank disks
10:50h:
Left the store with a smile from ear to ear

Atari sucks!!!

Bottom line of this story?

Thanks sales person man!

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 03 December 2008 at 21:26.
Old 03 December 2008, 21:22   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
September 1988 by 10:00h:

Entered store to buy Atari ST for music usage and because it had MIDI.

10:05h:
me: I want to buy an Atari ST because i want to record music on my new synth and want to plug it to MIDI
10:20h:
Sales person says to me: "We've got this new computer, the Amiga, which is excelent for music also." Put a demo on it, pupping sound being delivered from the monitor speakers and I thought: "No way! Is that SOUND coming from this computer?" Totaly sold.
10:40h:
Bought some (pirated, yes where sold on the store) games, and two boxes of blank disks
10:50h:
Left the store with a smile from ear to ear

Atari sucks!!!

Bottom line of this story?

Thanks sales person man!
Nice story xpect Mine is a bit shorter : Saw the Amiga at a friend and begged my parents to buy me one from then on When somebody showed me the ST some time later, I knew it was the right decision
Old 03 December 2008, 21:45   #39
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Nice story qwak. I would love to see your smooth scrolling ST shooter and your other unreleased ST games. Thalion's Warp has a 8-way scrolling too, so not really ANY direction.

Ah cool.

Yeah, you could either do it in software, but redrawing the entire screen buffer, or hardware, but changing the screen start-address hardware register. Which you could only change in 256 byte steps, and the screen was like 160 bytes across, but with some clever shenanigans you get it to sroll up and down in 2 pixel steps (and still plenty of CPU for loads of software sprites).

I never say the technicque applied to a released game though.

I'd be more than happy to release the ST game demos, if you know anyone who can do that, and host them, on a site or whatever. I'm quite happy to share, for nostalgia's sake.

Just a bit busy to spend too much time on it myself.

Jamie.
Old 03 December 2008, 21:46   #40
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlega View Post
I actually took the game back to the shop to get another copy as I thought it was defective! (yes I was that stupid)
lol.

Nope. It just didn't happen in the Amiga version! Maybe it said it did on the packaging, I dunno? Blame Psygnosis!