English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 December 2021, 12:45   #1
Lisko

Connecting a real c64 SID to the amiga

Hi, I know that the amiga version of catweasel allows you to connect a real c64 sid and for using it with playsid. Unfortunately the catweasel is not in production anymore and it is very rare. Since I don't really need the catweasel for its reading/writing abilities but only for connecting the sid, how much difficult could be to just make a sid interface? Can someone help me with the specifics and knows how that part of the catweasel works? Thank you
Old 03 December 2021, 12:59   #2
chb

You could have a look at this project:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/share..._Zorro_II.html
Old 04 December 2021, 07:39   #3
Lisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
You could have a look at this project:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/share..._Zorro_II.html
Thank you but I should have specified that I have an Amiga 1200 in a standard desktop case so zorro II isn't an option, I would need a parallel/serial solution.
Old 05 December 2021, 02:11   #4
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
I would need a parallel/serial solution.
Or clockport/IDE interface internal...
Old 05 December 2021, 05:43   #5
Pyromania

Why not comment a pair of them for stereo 3D sound?
Old 05 December 2021, 09:58   #6
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Or clockport/IDE interface internal...
Clockport is nice idea, but IDE is IDE so it's not good idea this way.
Old 05 December 2021, 10:02   #7
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Why not comment a pair of them for stereo 3D sound?
It's not working this way. I have C64 with MixSID (two SIDs) and it can work stereo only if song is in stereo, normal ones are played same on both SIDs.
Even more interesting would be adding support for rather new 3SID standard option with three SIDs.
Old 05 December 2021, 19:15   #8
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Clockport is nice idea, but IDE is IDE so it's not good idea this way.
IDE connector is 16 bit data bus easily available... Amiga IDE use CPU and IDE address space is not fully used so...
Old 06 December 2021, 07:42   #9
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
Hi, I know that the amiga version of catweasel allows you to connect a real c64 sid and for using it with playsid. Unfortunately the catweasel is not in production anymore and it is very rare. Since I don't really need the catweasel for its reading/writing abilities but only for connecting the sid, how much difficult could be to just make a sid interface? Can someone help me with the specifics and knows how that part of the catweasel works? Thank you
why you want a real sid in the AMiga
the playsid library works very well and the sound generated in sid files is somehow similar to the original

if you want a perfect sid sound try in a PC winamp 2.95 + SidAMP 2.4b plugin
Old 06 December 2021, 10:16   #10
Daedalus

The clockport would be an option, but it's not as easy as it might first appear. Looking at the SID, it looks like it has 5 address lines (32 registers). The clockport only has 4 address lines.

IDE isn't ideal, but it has been used in the past - the Catweasel Mk 2 could optionally be connected to the IDE port instead of the clockport, for example.
Old 07 December 2021, 00:19   #11
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The clockport would be an option, but it's not as easy as it might first appear. Looking at the SID, it looks like it has 5 address lines (32 registers). The clockport only has 4 address lines.
Use indirect addressing - two locations - one for address, second for data.

Quote:
IDE isn't ideal, but it has been used in the past - the Catweasel Mk 2 could optionally be connected to the IDE port instead of the clockport, for example.
IDE is just convenient connector with 16 bits data bus available...
Old 07 December 2021, 08:57   #12
PR77

I really like the idea of a SID Chip connected to an Amiga. Does anyone know at what memory address the SID Chip is expected to be available at? Might be a nice add on to some of my projects.
Old 07 December 2021, 10:15   #13
Daedalus

Quote:
Use indirect addressing - two locations - one for address, second for data.
Yep, it's just not as simple as connecting the SID to the bus as is the case with the Zorro card.

Quote:
IDE is just convenient connector with 16 bits data bus available...
Yep, as I pointed out, it's been used like that before. Using the IDE port like that requires careful consideration, like incompatibility with IDE splitters for example.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of your post was - I was just pointing out that these other ways of connecting it are a bit more involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR77 View Post
I really like the idea of a SID Chip connected to an Amiga. Does anyone know at what memory address the SID Chip is expected to be available at? Might be a nice add on to some of my projects.
The Zorro adaptor linked to above appears to map it to 0xA00000-0xA0003E (bytes at even addresses). That seems to be where it's expected to be by the software written for it years ago, but if you're writing your own software, you could put it wherever you like. A more "proper" way to do it in a Zorro machine would be to add it as an autoconfig I/O device, rather than a fixed address device that needs special software.
Old 07 December 2021, 12:56   #14
Lisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
why you want a real sid in the AMiga
the playsid library works very well and the sound generated in sid files is somehow similar to the original

if you want a perfect sid sound try in a PC winamp 2.95 + SidAMP 2.4b plugin
Playsid itself supports the catweasel's sid chip. For basic tunes full software playsid works well enough but on some advanced ones sounds pretty different and doesn't emulate some effects at all. Cloning the catweasel's clockport sid adapter would be the way to go but from where to start?
Old 07 December 2021, 21:14   #15
pandy71

Quote:
Yep, it's just not as simple as connecting the SID to the bus as is the case with the Zorro card.
Some resources in Amiga are not Autoconfig controlled, they are present at fixed addresses and thank to some design shortcuts you can use them without ruin complete system functionality.

Quote:
Yep, as I pointed out, it's been used like that before. Using the IDE port like that requires careful consideration, like incompatibility with IDE splitters for example.
Never claimed that this is trivial but also not so complicated.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what the purpose of your post was - I was just pointing out that these other ways of connecting it are a bit more involved.
There is no other purpose than pointing that there are non-Zorro Amiga machines so other than Zorro resources can be used to accommodate SID within Amiga...
Old 07 December 2021, 21:33   #16
Daedalus

Quote:
Some resources in Amiga are not Autoconfig controlled, they are present at fixed addresses and thank to some design shortcuts you can use them without ruin complete system functionality.
Indeed they are, and I've used them for many of my own hardware developments. I'm confused about what your point is here... Or did you mean to reply to the text further down regarding Autoconfig and the "proper" way to do it, which was in the context of a Zorro card?

Quote:
There is no other purpose than pointing that there are non-Zorro Amiga machines so other than Zorro resources can be used to accommodate SID within Amiga...
... which had already been said (and which I didn't disagree with). Again, still confused about what point you're trying to make here.
Old 07 December 2021, 23:29   #17
pandy71

Quote:
Indeed they are, and I've used them for many of my own hardware developments. I'm confused about what your point is here... Or did you mean to reply to the text further down regarding Autoconfig and the "proper" way to do it, which was in the context of a Zorro card?
... which had already been said (and which I didn't disagree with). Again, still confused about what point you're trying to make here.
So please go back to http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=11

Replied to concerns raised by you - from my perspective this is OK solution for limited address space.

if there is another reason of your confusion then i must say: your confusion currently confusing me too...

Perhaps it will be easier to do some systematic approach.

• Is there any SID for non-Zorro Amiga models?
  • Is there any possibility to create some SID extension for non-Zorro Amiga models?
  • Clock Port feasibility?
  • IDE Port feasibility?
  • other ideas?
Old 08 December 2021, 04:09   #18
Marce
Banned

btw,

The commodore Amiga should have built in a SID chip from scratch
or at least since 1987 when the A500 was out

together with paula there would have been 7 audio channels
4 for music and 3 for sid sound effects
The video games would have been different and much better in sound
and not all the crap created which you choose between audio effects or music

We would also have had a perfect emulation in a 020 of the commodore 64, today is not very possible unless you have a 040/40mhz or 060/50 since the SID emulation waste lot of cpu time

now is late for that, it does not make sense for me get into complications when something is not standard nobody is going to create good software
Old 08 December 2021, 19:18   #19
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
IDE connector is 16 bit data bus easily available... Amiga IDE use CPU and IDE address space is not fully used so...
You completely missed the point and all running discussion after. Since IDE would be blocked by SID interface, how You'll run system and software? From floppy?
Most people use IDE to connect hard disk (or similar) unit. So that's why interface on IDE is rather not too god idea.
Old 08 December 2021, 22:31   #20
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
You completely missed the point and all running discussion after. Since IDE would be blocked by SID interface, how You'll run system and software? From floppy?
Most people use IDE to connect hard disk (or similar) unit. So that's why interface on IDE is rather not too god idea.
Are you familiar with concept of the piggyback?
As SID require PCB anyway then adding passtrough IDE connector looks to me pretty obvious - of course there are concerns raised by Daedalus associated with some IDE extensions/buffers but still for plain A1200 with only single IDE HDD connected this is neat point (IDE port) where data bus is available and some address lines also provided.