English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 November 2021, 22:54   #1
bdb

A4000T recapped in June now has green hue to video signal

Due to the vintage nature of my Amigas, I decided to get them recapped. Several A4000Ds went to Hese in Finland, one A4000T went to Rochester Amiga in NY, and one went to Steve Clifford at RetroPassion in the UK.

The one that went to RetroPassion seemed to work when tested upon its return in June, but now comes November and in preparation for selling, the Video output gives a solid green hue. No response from Steve Clifford, (are they still active?) so I was wondering where I should look for a problem within the schematic of the AV board (my best guess) or whether I should look at the motherboard?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by bdb; 16 November 2021 at 22:55. Reason: Punctuation
Old 17 November 2021, 01:48   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
Due to the vintage nature of my Amigas, I decided to get them recapped. Several A4000Ds went to Hese in Finland, one A4000T went to Rochester Amiga in NY, and one went to Steve Clifford at RetroPassion in the UK.

The one that went to RetroPassion seemed to work when tested upon its return in June, but now comes November and in preparation for selling, the Video output gives a solid green hue. No response from Steve Clifford, (are they still active?) so I was wondering where I should look for a problem within the schematic of the AV board (my best guess) or whether I should look at the motherboard?

Any help would be great!
Oh no you used Retro Passion!
Captain hindsight here! Shouldn’t have used him A lot of people on here have had a hard time contacting him. Unfortunately he is still going
All I can say is you were unlucky you didn’t do your research first.

As for the green hue. Is this from just the Video output? Or from other video outputs such as the RGB port?
If just from the video out then luckily it’s just one area. Hopefully someone will be along to help you out.
Old 17 November 2021, 15:51   #3
bdb

Smile A4000T recapped in June now has green hue to video

Hi,

Thanks for information; after Steve Clifford said it would be a 6 to 8 week recap and I had heard nothing after 12 weeks (and then it took another 4 weeks), I kind of figured that he was unreliable. I've sent to emails directly to him and heard nothing.

I've found the A4000T & modules schematics and I guess I can trace out the issue; the green hue is a lack of blue signal, so I guess I will back trace it looking for issues, until someone who knows what they are doing comes along...
Old 18 November 2021, 12:42   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Try reflowing all the Caps that were replaced, with a soldering iron.
Old 18 November 2021, 15:22   #5
bdb

I tried that without any success, as the A4000T AV Module sent to Amiga of Rochester had that issue solved by reflowing a cap with a questionable joint under my loupes. Thomas there did not have a power supply to test his work (I believe).
Old 18 November 2021, 20:22   #6
stevelord

What shows up on the composite out?
Old 19 November 2021, 15:55   #7
bdb

The 4000T and 4000D models lack the composite output of the console models (unless derived from the 23-pin video output).

When I use either an AGA Indivision MK2 or a DCE Scan doubler, I get the expected output, indicating that the fault lies within the connection of the blue output signal.

At the request of an Admin on Amibay, I contacted Hese (who has done all my A4000D recaps, and it seems should have done this 4000T) and I am waiting to see if he will provide any help as to where to look.

The AV module under my modest pair of loupes, shows no suspicious welds (despite the work of a suspicious company). It is time for the multimeter and schematic, which is a tedious affair.
Old 23 November 2021, 16:12   #8
bdb

A4000T Green Hue

Hese (of Amibay) has helped locate the issue to an issue with the U460 DAC. Pin 27 (blue output) may have an interruption of output. Manipulation of the Green Sync jumper fixes the green hue. I need to pull the motherboard and see if I can locate/repair the issue.