English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 June 2014, 05:17   #1
bobobby1

Australian Mindscape distribution

Hi guys,

I used to own an Amiga way back when I lived in the UK and recently wanted to get back into it, or, at least, collect a few old games that I loved playing. A while back I bought an Australian version of Shadow of the Beast at an auction which I haven't received yet.

Now, I learnt afterwards that Australian games were often distributed by Mindscape. I also learnt a lot of the time that just meant a sticker was slapped onto the side of the cardboard box - the actual box itself was the original and the game disc/s wasn't/weren't coded to display the Mindscape logo at the beginning, etc.

Can any body that owns or owned the Australian SotB confirm that nothing more than a sticker was applied, and that the disc/s didn't have anything different to the UK ones? It was one of my favourite games back in the day (crap gameplay an' all) and, I don't know, I suppose I just wanted it to be like the original UK version and not modified. Blame it on OCD, perhaps.

Old 25 June 2014, 07:55   #2
ransom1122

I'm not 100% sure. But once you receive it and load it up in sure you'll see a difference if there is one at slk.
Old 25 June 2014, 08:32   #3
Vot

So your the filthy b}#^%^d that won

$113 aud or whatever it was was too rich for me
Old 25 June 2014, 08:45   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Perhaps bobobby1 is the seller wanting to check that the disks he has match the box before sending it out to his buyer...
Old 25 June 2014, 10:39   #5
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobby1 View Post
Hi guys,

I used to own an Amiga way back when I lived in the UK and recently wanted to get back into it, or, at least, collect a few old games that I loved playing. A while back I bought an Australian version of Shadow of the Beast at an auction which I haven't received yet.

Now, I learnt afterwards that Australian games were often distributed by Mindscape. I also learnt a lot of the time that just meant a sticker was slapped onto the side of the cardboard box - the actual box itself was the original and the game disc/s wasn't/weren't coded to display the Mindscape logo at the beginning, etc.

Can any body that owns or owned the Australian SotB confirm that nothing more than a sticker was applied, and that the disc/s didn't have anything different to the UK ones? It was one of my favourite games back in the day (crap gameplay an' all) and, I don't know, I suppose I just wanted it to be like the original UK version and not modified. Blame it on OCD, perhaps.
I've got a sealed 'Supercars' here with the 'Mindscape' distribution logo (piece of paper) and it's identical to the UK release.
Old 25 June 2014, 16:53   #6
bobobby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
So your the filthy b}#^%^d that won

$113 aud or whatever it was was too rich for me
Sorry, yes! I did notice the price shot up at the end! To be honest it was probably a bit too rich for me as well now, but it's difficult in the US to get a copy, and lately the UK ones seem to be going way too high; I notice/d a t-shirt copy going for rather a silly price. I say going, but it's never going to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I'm not 100% sure. But once you receive it and load it up in sure you'll see a difference if there is one at slk.
That's the thing; at the moment I can't, yet, as I don't have a working Amiga (which I know is risky re: working disks but I'm a trustworthy sort, and when somebody writes they're tested and working I'll believe them). So yes, since this is probably my favourite childhood game (...) mixed with no Amiga currently I didn't know if anybody could confirm. I'd hate to see the beautiful intro kind of ruined with the Psygnosis graphic replaced with the Mindscape one, or just a change somewhere generally. I mean I suspect like most (?) Mindscape distributed games it'll just be that sticker and everything else will be the same, but I won't be able to know. Come on, you Australians. Having said that, presumably if the disks et al were still branded with the Psygnosis logo it'd be weird for the actual game content to be changed.

Old 26 June 2014, 13:47   #7
Vot

I don't think the content was changed and tbh i don't think the disc silk screens were different either. Any copies i saw of mindscape releases just had the sticker on the box or on the shrinkwrap. Stuff through ozisoft (c64) was often different.