English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 November 2022, 15:02   #41
Weasel Fierce

Three games I hadn't played before.

T-Racer
Feels like a Project X knock-off but with fewer power ups and your ship is armed with pea-shooters. Tedious and not really that fun, but technically proficient and functional. 2/5

E-Motion
An odd little physics puzzler. This feels like it could have been something but the presentation is really amateurish and the controls always feels too chaotic. Id like to see an updated version of this with more polish and a bit less chaotic physics reactions 2/5

Narc
Eh. Tries too hard to be "cool", repetitive, enemies look ridiculous and nothing feels like it has any weight to it. This might be fun in two player for a minute but absolutely skippable. 1/5.

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 08 November 2022 at 16:19.
Old 06 November 2022, 16:45   #42
jotd
This cat is no more

Narc arcade is awesome. The port is crap.
Old 06 November 2022, 17:30   #43
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

Ah okay, I didn't realize it was an arcade port.
Old 06 November 2022, 17:35   #44
Megalomaniac

At least the first and third of your four criticisms should apply to the arcade conversion too. I never played it, but my impression of the plot's judgmental and probably hypocritical nature puts me off anyway, notwithstanding what a bad port its regarded as.
Old 06 November 2022, 18:07   #45
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
At least the first and third of your four criticisms should apply to the arcade conversion too. I never played it, but my impression of the plot's judgmental and probably hypocritical nature puts me off anyway, notwithstanding what a bad port its regarded as.
It feels sooooo 80s edgy, I was actually laughing while I was playing. Its very stupid.
Old 07 November 2022, 09:38   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Oh that's the one where the end game boss turns into a gigant skull machine.

[ Show youtube player ]

10/10 best game ever.
Old 07 November 2022, 15:36   #47
Weasel Fierce

Qix
A game I had played versions of but didn't realize had an Amiga version as well. One of those games I am surprised more people haven't tried to turn into mobile games. Perfect risk/reward gameplay. 4/5.

Nicky Boom
Pretty decent platformer. THe main character sprite looks kind of weird and the animations are sometimes a bit lacking, particularly on ladders. Im also biased against any game that gives you an arcing projectile weapon. But.. its a fun platformer and perfectly serviceable. Levels are fun to explore. Mainly lacks something to really make it shine. 3/5.

Battle Isle
One I had not only played before but have actually completed. While the visuals can be a bit garish, it plays well and the level design is extremely tight, leading to tough, tense fights where every unit counts. That the game plays as well as it does, despite garbage AI is a testament to the designers. 4/5.<
BI is also great in two player and while I prefer the 93 version or Historyline, the first game benefits from the levels being smaller and with fewer units, giving it a nice punchy quality compared to some of the big grinds you get in later titles in the series.

Skipped:
Battle for Wesnoth (Seems to be PPC or similar boards only)

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 08 November 2022 at 16:19.
Old 08 November 2022, 03:20   #48
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post

Skipped:
Battle for Wesnoth (Seems to be PPC or similar boards only)
is also 68k
Old 08 November 2022, 03:55   #49
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
is also 68k
Requires vampire 68080, and doesn't work on any real 68k.

https://artishq.wordpress.com/2017/0...e-for-wesnoth/
Old 08 November 2022, 10:28   #50
Megalomaniac

I struggle to think of anything above an 060, or using a graphics card beyond AGA, as a true 'Amiga', not sure if others are the same.
Old 08 November 2022, 10:43   #51
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I struggle to think of anything above an 060, or using a graphics card beyond AGA, as a true 'Amiga', not sure if others are the same.
Heck, I don't even consider the CD32 to be a "real Amiga" even if there is an A1200 bolted into it somewhere.
Old 08 November 2022, 16:00   #52
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
I don't have strong views on the topic, but I had to throw the dart somewhere to avoid having to sit through a bunch of linux ports on MOS

So "real" 68K only.
Old 08 November 2022, 16:03   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, we reached the 'where to draw the line' stage of the operation. Time to get the popcorn.
Old 08 November 2022, 16:11   #54
Weasel Fierce

Fire and ice.
One I had played a tiny bit and I definitely missed out because this one deserves a lot more of my attention. Fun graphics and sound, pleasant visual themes throughout, controls well. I will definitely return to this one. 4/5.

Face Off (the Anco one)
Had to specify since there's two games with the same title. I was curious since Ive never played a hockey video game before. This had some qualities: It controls easy enough and its quite fast but its very hard to actually tell what is going on and easy to lose track of who you are controlling. A lot of times you just shoot and hope a player will happen to be ready off screen to receive. 1/5.

First Samurai
Only played this for a few minutes before. Definitely a game that would reward more time: Theres a lot to the controls with different moves and attacks. Visuals are great too: They have that slightly gloomy vibe that reminds me of Shadow of the Beast. Difficulty is pretty brutal: Juuust on this side of unfair. One that I will also be returning to again. 4/5.

Edit:
Games skipped: Fire and Ice CD32. No way to test it, but if you have played that version let me know how it differs.

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 08 November 2022 at 16:28.
Old 08 November 2022, 16:12   #55
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Ah, we reached the 'where to draw the line' stage of the operation. Time to get the popcorn.
Please arrange the tomato throwing in orderly fashion!
Old 08 November 2022, 16:31   #56
jotd
This cat is no more

Fire And Ice CD32 is just more beautiful with a second parallax. Game is just too difficult with one hit deaths in later levels if you ask me.

First Samurai first level is hard and it seems that you can manage to get stuck if you don't use teleports wisely. But after that it's much easier. I completed it back in the day. 10 superb levels.

Last edited by jotd; 08 November 2022 at 21:50.
Old 08 November 2022, 17:41   #57
Megalomaniac

The various EA/NHL Hockeys on the Megadrive are far better than any Amiga Ice Hockey game, sadly. We could have had a much better conversion of that than FIFA got, but sadly "countries that love ice hockey" and "countries that spend a lot of money on Amiga games" had no real overlap by then, so they probably didn't think it would be worth remapping the controls to one button for us.

First Samurai is one I had but was a little disappointed by, it just never quite grabbed me despite the technical marvelousness. Probably 3/5 from me. Still, it was in the famous UbiSoft double pack, and you'll be shocked to hear that I loved the other game in it, so I wasn't too distraught.
Old 09 November 2022, 15:28   #58
Weasel Fierce

A big update today since I will be busy with work soon, so I want to knock out as many as I can beforehand.

Alien Bash
New play. This was a surprise since I had played the sequel, which is a fun, if rather pedestrian Chaos Engine clone. This is a weird Smash TV knock off I guess? It looks bad, sounds bad and doesn't play well either. 1/5

Lethal Weapon
A game I have liked for many years despite being extremely average. Controls are decent, the music is good if repetitive and I just happen to enjoy it a lot: The gameplay flow is really pleasing. A 3/5 if I try to be a bit neutral though.

Risky Woods
New play. Rather good with a bit of a "spooky" theme and gameplay flows pretty well. Unfortunately the version I have has messed up scrolling. Im not sure the levels are interesting enough for long-term enjoyment. 3/5

Warlords
A game I have played regularly since the first time I ever laid eyes on it. I love the map, I love the style, I love the long, slow burn. I prefer it to the sequels as well. 5/5

Transplant
Other than the fantastic intro tune, it looks like a generic Asteroids knock off. Then you sit down to play co op with a friend and 5 hours later you wonder what happened. 5/5
Old 09 November 2022, 15:45   #59
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Warlords
A game I have played regularly since the first time I ever laid eyes on it. I love the map, I love the style, I love the long, slow burn. I prefer it to the sequels as well. 5/5
Old 09 November 2022, 15:50   #60
jotd
This cat is no more

still convinced that you're only playing the good ones not the turds

But I like that quick review format.