English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 August 2021, 22:35   #1
Estrayk

Tsunami 1230 - New accelerator card for A1200

Miguel Fides, (the creator of the Amiga A1100 motherboard), together with Edu Arana, has developed a new accelerator for Amiga A1200 computers called Tsunami 1230.

Our main idea was to make a low cost accelerator with a performance similar to what was once a standard, the famous blizzard 1230.

As part of the team, I personally have tested hundreds and hundreds of demos and games to make it as compatible as possible. Especially having a lot of interest in the speed of the access to the chip memory.

specs:

- 68EC030 at 42MHZ.
- 64MB Fast RAM.
- 68882 FPU footprint ready
- External expansion port for future upgrades
- Clockport port (RTC only)

Three weeks ago, we decided to make a call to the community asking about the interest of this product. We received hundreds of emails showing interest, so we started to work. We decided to make a first small batch of 50 units in preorder to really see the reality of interest.

To our surprise, all cards were sold within 24 hours.

ok, we have already given the order and paid to manufacture all the preorder units and we hope that in a couple of months, all the people who have placed his order will have their Tsunami at home.
(The person in charge of all the logistics is Edu Arana)

Obviously, we continue to receive many emails showing interest and I would like to officially announce that seeing the great and rapid acceptance of this product, we will do a second batch shortly. Stay tuned for this thread.

Spoiler:
We have ordered a few more units from the factory, because some Amiga hardware stores were quick to contact us with large orders.
So contact your Amiga's usual store if you cannot wait for the second batch as they will receive some units from the first batch.

I will announce here, is this thread when the preorder for the second batch will be available

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about the accelerator, this is the official thread to do so.

https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/pro...a1200-preorder

http://tsunami.arananet.net/

[ Show youtube player ]

The Tsunami team.
Miguel Fides, Edu Arana and Carlos Del Alamo.

Last edited by Estrayk; 30 August 2021 at 16:15.
Old 30 August 2021, 15:25   #2
NovaCoder

Very cool to see

Also nice to see my DOTT port used for some testing, perfect
Old 30 August 2021, 16:10   #3
Tajmaster

That link takes you to a page requiring a password.

I went here: http://tsunami.arananet.net/ and declared my interest via email

Questions:

Can it be overclocked?

Does it have a MapROM feature?
Old 30 August 2021, 16:24   #4
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajmaster View Post
That link takes you to a page requiring a password.

I went here: http://tsunami.arananet.net/ and declared my interest via email

Questions:

Can it be overclocked?
Nope

Quote:
Does it have a MapROM feature?
Nope
Old 30 August 2021, 16:27   #5
petarku

Looking forward for this one , I was in the market for blizzard MK IV as I couldnt find it for normal price I went with tsunami. i payed for the preorder already lets see when this will get shipped.
Old 30 August 2021, 16:28   #6
grond

The board seems to have very nice performance, it's on par with the Blizzard even though it is only clocked at 84% of the Blizzard's clock rate. I wonder what stats it would give with that memory interface and a 50MHz 030.
Old 30 August 2021, 18:42   #7
Jolabandola

External expansion port for future upgrades.

Hmm just like in the description of the A1208. When will the rumored wifi-module be able be purchased?
Old 30 August 2021, 19:42   #8
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
External expansion port for future upgrades.

Hmm just like in the description of the A1208. When will the rumored wifi-module be able be purchased?
We don't want to fool anyone. We do not know for sure if there will ever be some kind of expansion for that slot. Miguel Fides has put that slot on the accelerator in case he does something in the future but do not buy this product thinking that something will come out for sure.
Old 30 August 2021, 20:23   #9
klx300r

Thumbs up

this is awesome! It's truly an amazing time to be an Amiga user with all the new great hardware and software being produced
Old 31 August 2021, 01:07   #10
Wachi

Thumbs up

Order placed
Old 31 August 2021, 20:44   #11
Estrayk

Some users are asking me privately which stores will have Tsunami units in stock from the first batch.

We can't say officially yet, sorry. We will say it as soon as we can.
Old 31 August 2021, 21:16   #12
Gordon
Settler

Sounds great but sadly more chance of seeing a flying green pig than finding something in stock on Ararat.net
Old 31 August 2021, 21:43   #13
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Sounds great but sadly more chance of seeing a flying green pig than finding something in stock on Ararat.net
If you are really interested, send an email showing interest and we will reply to all emails received when preorders can be made. I guarantee you.
Old 31 August 2021, 22:15   #14
Gordon
Settler

Ok Thank you! Will do.
Old 08 September 2021, 23:38   #15
Estrayk

Just a small update of the post announcing that everything is still going. The times we had planned to deliver the cards seem to be on the right track and there will be no delays.

A1200 connectors received, factory boards in production, chips received ...

For now everything is going smoothly.

Last edited by Estrayk; 09 September 2021 at 01:07.
Old 09 September 2021, 02:30   #16
NovaCoder

Very good
Old 11 September 2021, 09:05   #17
Higgy

Hi,

I put this here to help the sellers and also the buyers. As I think all new A1200 accelerators use the same 'new edge connector'

Some A1200 motherboards dont have a bevel/chamfer on the edge connector. I have noticed 2 1B motherboards missing this.
If you dont have a chamfer/bevel then there is a good chance the accelerator card will become damaged with the pins in the 'new edge connector' getting bent! I found out the hard way.
Also loosen the motherboard screw near the edge connector when installing the new accelerator as the 'new edge connector 'is thicker than the original so it might be a too tight fit.

The good news is it is quite easy to file a bevel/chamfer into the A1200 motherboard, but obviously involves some work and taking the computer apart.

Hopefully adding this note to the install guide will reduce potential returns and disappointment to buyers. This new card might have a different sourced edge connector, but it is still good to highlight this potential issue to sellers and buyers now that new A1200 cards are coming out.

Thanks
Old 29 September 2021, 23:45   #18
Estrayk

Month update:

Everything is going good, Factory has sent us a photo of the PCB-Test to confirm the launch.
Everything is correct so shortly they will manufacture the ones we agreed on and send them to us.
When they arrive we have to solder the connectors, burn the CPLD's and little else.

more news soon

Old 30 September 2021, 01:45   #19
NovaCoder

Looks purdy
Old 09 October 2021, 20:28   #20
JJ__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Hi,

I put this here to help the sellers and also the buyers. As I think all new A1200 accelerators use the same 'new edge connector'

Some A1200 motherboards dont have a bevel/chamfer on the edge connector. I have noticed 2 1B motherboards missing this.
If you dont have a chamfer/bevel then there is a good chance the accelerator card will become damaged with the pins in the 'new edge connector' getting bent! I found out the hard way.
Also loosen the motherboard screw near the edge connector when installing the new accelerator as the 'new edge connector 'is thicker than the original so it might be a too tight fit.

The good news is it is quite easy to file a bevel/chamfer into the A1200 motherboard, but obviously involves some work and taking the computer apart.

Hopefully adding this note to the install guide will reduce potential returns and disappointment to buyers. This new card might have a different sourced edge connector, but it is still good to highlight this potential issue to sellers and buyers now that new A1200 cards are coming out.

Thanks
Hi Higggy,

Would it be possible to post a picture of what you are talking about please so I can check on my A1200 motherboard?

Thank you!