English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 December 2008, 01:59   #1
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Cannot soft reset Amiga 1200

I have recently helped a friend buy an Amiga 1200 and a Blizzard 1230-IV card with a 32MB stick of EDO RAM.
I have the exact same setup myself, but when everything is assembled, I cannot soft reset his machine (Left Amiga + Right Amiga + CTRL). It just ignores the keystrokes, where my own Amiga reboots like Amigas always have.

What could be the cause of this? The Amigas are both REV 2B but the Blizzards are not exactly the same. Is there really some revisions of the Blizzard 1230-IV cards that disable rebooting?
I've got another friend, and he cannot reboot either (also with Blizzard 1230-IV)

I've been searching all night, but I can't seem to find anybody else writing about this issue.

Bonus question: Are some Blizzard 1230-IV cards limited to use 16MB EDO? The 32MB (single sided) is only recognized as 16MB in the Workbench here. Is this a minor incompatibility between the RAM and acceleratorcard, or am I missing something?
Old 17 December 2008, 02:40   #2
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Just after posting, I was rethinking the situation and decided to try and remove the accelerator card. After doing this, it still doesn't reboot correctly, so while my first post indicates a link to the Blizzard 1230-IV, I would now say this is quite unlikely.

I guess the problem is with keyboard itself...
I would delete the thread so I don't waste your time, but it seems this has been disabled?
Old 17 December 2008, 03:48   #3
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
Just after posting, I was rethinking the situation and decided to try and remove the accelerator card. After doing this, it still doesn't reboot correctly, so while my first post indicates a link to the Blizzard 1230-IV, I would now say this is quite unlikely.

I guess the problem is with keyboard itself...
I would delete the thread so I don't waste your time, but it seems this has been disabled?
Take your keyboard and try it on your friends machine, if it still doesn't work swap your HD with his and try again.
Old 17 December 2008, 06:49   #4
thomas

Quote:
if it still doesn't work swap your HD with his and try again.
This won't help. Keyboard reset is a hardware reset, there is no software which can stop it from happening. Software can only delay it by max. 10 seconds.

Probably the connection from the keyboard to the motherboard is broken or one of the three keys does not work or something like that.
Old 17 December 2008, 08:44   #5
Jope
-

Yes.. First try in CLI that ctrl and both amiga keys work.

Ctrl: type ctrl-m in cli -> should be the same as pressing enter

Amiga keys:
Move the mouse to the title bar of the window and press left amiga + left alt .. should be left mouse button.

Then press right amiga + right alt, should be the same as pressing right mouse button.

If all of these work by themselves, your keyboard MCU is broken and doesn't send the reset signal when the keys are pressed.
Old 17 December 2008, 11:23   #6
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

I found an easy way to test the keys.
When booting, you press both mouse buttons to enter the Amiga Early Startup Control. Here almost every key will trigger PAL/NTSC switching, and this way you can easily test the keys.
Old 17 December 2008, 11:45   #7
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@KTC

So do the keys work then??

TC
Old 17 December 2008, 12:27   #8
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

No, as expected (after excluding the accelerator card as the culprit), several keys are failing. All the alphanumerical keys work, so I didn't consider that the keyboard or connector could be broken.
I have yet to test it with my own A1200 keyboard, but I have already made my other friend (who told me he wasn't able to reset) test his keyboard, and as expected, his is failing on a few keys too.
Old 17 December 2008, 15:18   #9
JuvUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
No, as expected (after excluding the accelerator card as the culprit), several keys are failing. All the alphanumerical keys work, so I didn't consider that the keyboard or connector could be broken.
I have yet to test it with my own A1200 keyboard, but I have already made my other friend (who told me he wasn't able to reset) test his keyboard, and as expected, his is failing on a few keys too.

i had it once where just the cursor keys weren't working and it was the keyboard ribbon not seated quite right (must have pulled it when fitting my 1260, was easier to fit with the lid off! lol)

cheers, JuvUK