English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 June 2005, 12:05   #1
amigauser

Smile WinUAE ADF Configuration Utility

I noticed that when I have set up a game configuration incorrectly I get messages which tell me that it is for example switching from the 8 bit display I have set to the 16 bit version needed by the game.

Given that information about some of the older games is non-existent and gamers basically construct a UAE configuration file by either research/trial and error/both, I wondered if it was possible to either:-

a) develop WinUAE in such a way that you insert your ADF into a diagnostic configuration and it auto-switches to the right one for the ADF inserted or

b) to have a separate WinUAE utility which lists the configuration required to play the ADF inserted. I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it is possible.

If Toby, is out there, WinUAE is a wonderful program and allows me to play Amiga versions of games that I can no longer play on my PC because my genuine PC versions have DOS or Windows 3.1 requirements which my advanced PC cannot meet. Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 25 June 2005, 14:05   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

you mean Toni don't you?

This isn't possible unfortunately
Old 25 June 2005, 14:20   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

a: impossible

But 99% of A500 games and demos will work with regular quickstart-settings.

There will be build-in "frontend" and new game/demo "configuration" system coming in distant future.. More info later, don't ask
Old 25 June 2005, 14:23   #4
amigauser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen

There will be build-in "frontend" and new game/demo "configuration" system coming in distant future.. More info later, don't ask
Thanks for that and apologies for the error with your name.
Old 25 June 2005, 14:53   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'm asking
Old 25 June 2005, 16:46   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Stick out tongue

Quote:
For games alone, I tend to 95% or lower. There is clearly a difference between "playable so that you have fun playing" and "works without errors, i. e. no hangs on tracks"
Old 25 June 2005, 17:29   #7
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigauser
I noticed that when I have set up a game configuration incorrectly I get messages which tell me that it is for example switching from the 8 bit display I have set to the 16 bit version needed by the game.

Given that information about some of the older games is non-existent and gamers basically construct a UAE configuration file by either research/trial and error/both, I wondered if it was possible to either: (...)
To configure the emulator correctly, you need to know what kind of Amiga the game was written to run on - eg. ECS/OCS/AGA. This you can look up on HOL.
If it's an ECS or OCS game, you can normally use kickstart 1.3 and the default A500 configuration. If it's an AGA game, you can use Kickstart 3.1 and from then on it gets a little more complicated. I only know about Amiga 500.

Basically you need to know your Amiga hardware to set up the emulator correctly. You can look up hardware specs using Google.
Old 25 June 2005, 20:52   #8
amigauser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen
To configure the emulator correctly, you need to know what kind of Amiga the game was written to run on - eg. ECS/OCS/AGA. This you can look up on HOL.
If it's an ECS or OCS game, you can normally use kickstart 1.3 and the default A500 configuration. If it's an AGA game, you can use Kickstart 3.1 and from then on it gets a little more complicated. I only know about Amiga 500.

Basically you need to know your Amiga hardware to set up the emulator correctly. You can look up hardware specs using Google.
Thanks for the advice, Sune Salminen, but I have configured 100s of games correctly.Unfortunately, at the moment I am trying to configure the Psygnosis/Psyclade version of Spellbound without success. The Psygnosis splash screen loads as does the game title screen but after that I get green wavy lines behind the title logo and it just stays like that. I have been to Hall Of Light and I have used the configurations you suggested as well as my own efforts but no luck so far. It's possible that the ADF file is corrupted but it came from a reputable site so I'd be surprised if it was.
Old 25 June 2005, 22:28   #9
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Sounds like you are using the 2 disk Skid Row crack, when the green wavy lines appear simply change from disk 1 to disk 2 and press fire.