English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 May 2024, 12:10   #1
Hiddenevil

MiamiDX almost working but not

So I've just reinstalled MiamiDX, everything seems to have gone ok. However when I click the "online" button. It'll think for a while and then pop up with

"Your IP address could not be resolved, so miami deluxe has to fail back to your IP address"

I've never had this come up before, so I'm a little confuzzled how I resolve it. When I open ibrowse, i'm not able to get anywhere online.
-
Old 25 May 2024, 12:23   #2
Magic

Have you tried Roadshow yet? It works well and is still supported. I think that there is a trial version too.
Old 25 May 2024, 12:43   #3
Hiddenevil

I might if I can't get Miami working, I mean it was working a week ago and suddenly it's giving issues. Not sure what's happened. Was hoping someone here, might be able to help me work it out.
Old 25 May 2024, 12:52   #4
thomas

What did you do between a week ago and now?
Why did you reinstall?
Why didn't you backup the working config before reinstall?

Is the hardware working?
Is the network cable connected?

How did you make the config? Did you use MiamiInit?

Does Miami allow to query the Mac address from the device?

Make sure it is set to DHCP, not to BOOTP.

Why do you use MiamiDx when Miami is completely sufficient? It has so many options you don't need.
Old 25 May 2024, 13:21   #5
Hiddenevil

I was setting up 3.9 on my A600. While doing so, I inserted the cardres command in to my startup along with the furia script, which is supposed to really take advantage of the card.
Over time I noticed the Furia was getting warm, too warm and then data corruption began to happen on DH0. I had only just gotten the thing setup and hadn't had time to make a backup before it all went a bit wrong. I had to reinstalled everything as it appeared like files all over the dh0 had been effected. Load FinalCopy up and get a error, load iBrowse and similar issue. Even the Disk.info file was corrupted to zero bytes. In the end I knew I couldn't rely on the system being reliable, as there was no telling how many files had been messed up.

Since reinstalling 3.9 and all the software, I made a backup before introducing the cardres command (allowing me to use the PCMCIA slot without disabling 4mb). Thus far I've had no issues with file corruption, so i believe it was the Furia script that was overheating the accelerator.

When I run the Miamint program it finds the network, but has issue with the DNS.
Yes it finds the network card fine, I have several prism cards, all of which work with WPA and WPA2.

I've always used MiamiDX, i've never really thought of using the other.

Also I just tried Roadshow, holy crap that's a headache, it's all CLI commands and the guide is terrible! Tried to follow it, but it failed to configure a darn thing and the guide just assumes everything works and doesn't tell you what to do if an error pops up Will be sticking with Miami (so long as I can get it working)
Old 25 May 2024, 13:43   #6
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Without DNS set correctly, it can't resolve your IP address.

As thomas already points out, MiamiInit should configure everything for you after entering a few basic bits of info.

RE DNS servers:
Under under Miami Database/DNS Servers. - Add as many as you like in case some are out of action.

Examples: Use 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) or 1.1.1.1 (CloudFlareWarp) or even Google on 8.8.8.8

Last edited by Kin Hell; 25 May 2024 at 14:51.
Old 25 May 2024, 15:07   #7
Hiddenevil

I've just run MiamiInit now, it found my IP address, found the subnet and gateway, fails on DNS and hostname. But when it gets to the screen just before saving, it freezs. The app, not the computer.

I'm with virgin media, so I'll add those, would it hurt to add in the google dns addresses?
Old 25 May 2024, 15:15   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Without DNS set correctly, it can't resolve your IP address.
The ("your") IP address is given by DHCP, not DNS. DNS resolves domain names to IP addresses. DNS is not even needed for a working network. You could simply use IP addresses only.

He's not getting an IP, so his issue is DHCP not working, or no network at all.

@Hiddenevil: check if your WLAN router actually sees that the Amiga is connected. If it is, check why it is not assigned an IP (Mac filter maybe?). If it is not even seeing the Amiga being connected, check the Amiga side. Make sure the prism device is actually working.
Old 25 May 2024, 15:53   #9
Liqourice

Throughout the years I never got DHCP to work with MiamiDX. Honestly don't know why.

So I've always set a static IP and it has always worked perfectly.
Old 25 May 2024, 20:22   #10
ncafferkey

You mention prism2: have you set up WirelessManager (again)?
Old 25 May 2024, 22:25   #11
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Deep intake of breath..... (Epic-ism....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenevil View Post
<snip>
I'm with virgin media, so I'll add those, would it hurt to add in the google dns addresses?
That has got nothing to do with anything. Just because your Internet Service provider uses those DNS servers does NOT mean you have to use it/them.

TCP/IP is TCP/IP & will work regardless. - Unless you're still using AOL ffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
The ("your") IP address is given by DHCP, not DNS. DNS resolves domain names to IP addresses. DNS is not even needed for a working LAN network. You could simply use IP addresses only for a LAN but you need an IP Pool & a Sub-net mask for the LAN to work.

He's not getting an IP, so his issue is DHCP not working, or no network at all.

@Hiddenevil: check if your WLAN router actually sees that the Amiga is connected. If it is, check why it is not assigned an IP (Mac filter maybe?). If it is not even seeing the Amiga being connected, check the Amiga side. Make sure the prism device is actually working.
Without DNS, you have No Internet. Just a LAN if you're lucky enough to poke DHCP with no default gateway to the Interrnet.

TCP/IP has to handshake both ways fella, or it won't work. - So many folk report DHCP does NOT work with many many Amiga network configurations

Yes indeed & I concur....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncafferkey View Post
You mention prism2: have you set up WirelessManager (again)?
This dear guy goes on about it which is new to me & beyond the link below.... (He is such a dear chap)

[ Show youtube player ]

& this effort leaves me in another dimension all together...

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=76477.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
Throughout the years I never got DHCP to work with MiamiDX. Honestly don't know why.

So I've always set a static IP and it has always worked perfectly.
Same here. - Chuck Roadshow in & it's a proper can of crap!

AmiKit on the Pi-Storm is flawless with Roadshow (Don't they promote this...).... Works every time.

Flat install of OS3.2 to the latest 3.2.2.1 & trying to set up Roadshow for wireless....

I am this close.... >.< ....to picking the nearest Cliff here in Cornwall.... (some 400+ foot f'kers with lots of rocks at the bottom on the North coast for a right job....)
Almost at the point of disappearing up my own ass & simply refuse to!

Manual setup in MiamiDX works every time on PCMCIA hard wired.....

Fresh install with Miami via WiFi methinks & I think I might know why ....possibly.

It's really interesting reading that Roadshow pulls together many aspects of networking on the Amiga to allow you to connect to the Internet.... Yet it can't look at the parameters of your System install to utilise what's already there & crack on....

*Edit*

This is spot on to set up for Roadshow Wireless.

[ Show youtube player ]

Add Roadie to configure your Networks Servers & Default Gateway.

Then in a shell, type wirelessmanager wifipi.device & you should connect to the Internet.

For auto start:
;Begin Wirelessmanager
Run <>NIL: C:WirelessManager wifipi.device
;End WirelessManager

Just like many others, I can not get DHCP to auto configure so make sure you set Netmask & Static IP addresse in the NetInterfaces/WiFiPi config.

Miami is so much easier to configure having it's own Interface.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 26 May 2024 at 12:04.
Old 27 May 2024, 15:32   #12
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Without DNS, you have No Internet. Just a LAN if you're lucky enough to poke DHCP with no default gateway to the Interrnet.
derSammler did not say anything incorrect.

Without DNS, you have no name resolution. It is more cumbersome to use definitely, but you have access to the internet if you have gotten your local IP, the mask, and the default router right.

Once you have those three things in place, you can have TCP/IP connections all across the world without ever accessing a DNS server if you choose not to. You just need to know the destination IP by some means and then you can access the resources you want. It could be a hosts database entry, could be you just remember the IP address by heart, maybe you looked it up on a different computer.

Of course if you have gotten the settings in such a shape that you have a working route beyond your LAN, then it is a small step to configure your machine to use one of the free DNS resolvers you mentioned in one of your posts and then you can use hostnames instead of IP addresses when making connections.

Quote:
TCP/IP has to handshake both ways fella, or it won't work.
TCP/IP handshakes happen without and regardless of access to any name resolution facilities. DNS was not even there in the early days of the Internet. The originating machine has sent its source IP in the datagram headers when it was setting up the connection and the destination machine knows where to send its replies the moment the source machine comes knocking.
Old 27 May 2024, 22:40   #13
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
derSammler did not say anything incorrect.
<snip>
I didn't say he did. I made a point of saying that DNS is not required if you're setting up a Lan, for a Lan Party or such. Perhaps I wasn't specific & apologise for confusions caused.

99.9% of the time with all my Amiga's, if it can't resolve an IP address when trying to get online, it's usually because DNS is not up & running correctly.

I wish I was clever enough to write a script or something to set up Roadshow automatically. Miami is such a breeze compared to it.

It's strange AmiKit don't appear to offer support for those wanting to use Miami to connect with his software though & even Miami can be a bit daunting for those not so sure.

Hiddenevil has a PM RE getting Miami configured if he wants to get back to me, though there are a plethora of guides he could easily hook up with online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope

TCP/IP handshakes happen without and regardless of access to any name resolution facilities. DNS was not even there in the early days of the Internet. The originating machine has sent its source IP in the datagram headers when it was setting up the connection and the destination machine knows where to send its replies the moment the source machine comes knocking.
Absolutely & can double back to find an alternative route before surrendering to not loading the requested destination.

Really hope hiddenevil susses it.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 27 May 2024 at 22:45.
Old 31 May 2024, 09:53   #14
Hiddenevil

Hey guys

I've been ill, bunged full of cold for a week. Stayed away from trying to fix the amiga, as brain fog, sneezing and runny nose are not conducive to successful repairs. More likely I'll bugger it up even more.

I'm going to read over everything thats been posted while I was away and I'll get back to you with an update ASAP.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 10 June 2024, 06:26   #15
FerociousAmiga

This might be far out but scan your system for virus (eg. Hitch-Hicker 4.11).