English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old Today, 01:31   #1
qupe

Zarro & Zeecon loading help

Hello,

can someone point me as to how to get these to work in FSUAE please?

https://aminet.net/package/game/wb/Zarro

Using A500, Kickstart 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 once workbench loads I click on the game and get a software error - task held finish all disk activity

Try it with A1200 settings and using the 3.1 workbench and get this game needs an 8 colour workbench.

I have the same with this one too

https://aminet.net/package/game/wb/Zeeconn

Not sure if I'm just having a funny 5 mins but can't get them to work.
Old Today, 04:00   #2
giantclam

M'kay.... I'll play your little games....<grin>....

...take this with the necessary grains of salt, and liberal smear of goose fat...ie; I tested against amiberry v6.x ....which is pretty close to WinUAE v5.x ...whereas fs-uae is (at least..) two years behind this scenario and based on winuae-core v3.x ....

Zarro does crash unashamedly at launch, on my vanilla Workbench 1.3 install on machine type A500...

...I noted in the readme file that Zeeconn claims it wants AmigaOS >= 2.0 ...so, okay...what if....

1. Loaded my ClassicWB-P96 setup, tried both titles there ~ they work as expected...
2. Loaded my vanilla OS3.2 setup, tried both titles there ~ they work as expected...

Ok...what about...loaded my Workbench 2.1.1 setup, tried both titles there ~ they crash (wtf?)... checked how the emulator was set, and I actually have this staged as an A500+ running KS-2.05 and 68000 ...hmmm, so for sake of commonality (neither title is depending on AGA chipset), leave everything else alone (chipset ECS), and just change CPU to 68020 and reset...retry both titles now, and they both work as expected...go figure =)

Just because that last test seemed a bit odd in result, retried the same operation using WinUAE v5.3.0 (in linux, using WINE), and got the same results..so, m'kay, I'm not nuts ;)

IRL I likely stopped at step 1. ..mission accomplished, the fact 2. worked OOTB made me smile...the result of the last test, is a bit curious...but at a guess, right, I'm thinking once chipset=AGA there is no problem (at least, this is the one common thread all the working tests share), but when chipset is not that, apparently CPU type matters..which strikes me as a little weird...

...but I do reiterate, you may well get different results in fs-uae due to it's age, but at least you've got some avenues to investigate =^)
Old Today, 11:39   #3
qupe

Thank you for your help.

So needs 68020 cpu and 500+ settings?

Any chance you could share screens of your WinUAE settings please? I used FSUAE due to it's simplicity of setup.

I've just tried in WinUAE 5.3 ECS and 68020 and get needs 8 color workbench again.

Why would a game say needs AmigaOS >= 2.0 then needs a 68020 CPU?

If I can get this working I'll be able to try a load of the games uploaded by the same person that have the same issues.

Is it possible to create a self booting adf?
Old Today, 13:42   #4
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by qupe View Post
I used FSUAE due to it's simplicity of setup.
..amiberry's simpler =)

Quote:
I've just tried in WinUAE 5.3 ECS and 68020 and get needs 8 color workbench again.
Why would a game say needs AmigaOS >= 2.0 then needs a 68020 CPU?
Did you set screenmode prefs to 8+ colours?

Quote:
If I can get this working I'll be able to try a load of the games uploaded by the same person that have the same issues.
The way they crash under KS-1.3 makes me think it's intuition.lib spitting the dummy. That is to say, in the Zarro readme: file...

Requires: A Workbench with 8+ colours Architecture: m68k-AmigaOS >= 1.3.0

That just doesn't jive with my walkman..WB-1.3 is by default 4 colours, so you would have to do something additional to get 8+ colours (add more planes, costs chipram). Both games appear the same, I very much think they both rely on KS2.04+ ...

Quote:
Is it possible to create a self booting adf?
Bootable copy of WB-2.x with KS-2.04+ on ECS with 68020...stripped out so there's room for the games (they're only tiny) would likely work....IRL on real Amiga HW, might be a different story =)