English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 July 2021, 09:20   #1
White

G-sync monitor buying advice

I would like to purchase a g-sync monitor with built-in speakers.
Budget 200-250 euros.
The pc in use uses a geforce 2060 RTX I have not gone further as a graphics card because these are my needs.
I also got a playstation 5 to play in the next few years. so i wish it was fine for playstation 5 as well.
This is probably not important to winuae,
and I am not an expert on this. But I'd like to have some advice for the geforce 2060 rtx to be paired with a g-sync monitor.

This for example is a 24.5 monitor:

Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/y34jatzp

would a 27 monitor be better or could this be fine?
In short, any advice is welcome.
Thank you.
Old 21 July 2021, 10:33   #2
dreadnought

In that price range you should be able to find this model, which is 1440p. It's not best in class but pretty good overall, I have it myself.

Overall, you need to decide if you want 1080p or 1440p. There are also other similarly priced or cheaper good models from LG, AOC and ASUS. You probably don't need G-Sync itself, which costs premium over Freesync and is only marginally better.

Also, forget about speakers, the in-built are universally crap (even though inexplicably they still put them in most models). Just get any decent external ones, like Logitech or Creative with a sub.
Old 21 July 2021, 15:25   #3
White

@dreadnought
Thanks for the reply,
I have a few more questions
I hope to ask the right questions :-)
g-sync is optional I can also use free-sync but since I use geforce I wanted to orient myself on g-sync
I had a specific request
I am aware that the sound of a monitor is not like that of dedicated speakers.
But the problem I currently encounter is that the ps5 via HDMI 2.1 cable is not able to reproduce any sound with my current monitor not having the dedicated speakers.
I have to use my current capture card to "bridge" and hear the sound.
The same thing happens also with "Morphos" not having the dedicated speakers on the monitor I have to use a splitter with the "powerbook"
So the sound coming from the HDMI cable would serve me to "capture" the audio to have some fun or hear it directly via HDMI :-)

Currently the video capture card captures whatever passes by "OBS" took me a while to learn how to work and now it's perfect.
ps5, nintendo switch, morphos, pc etc. everything is captured perfectly.
I also understood how it works with winuae and I needed the second pc to work well :-)

I would also buy it for this purpose.

Can you recommend some monitors with audio output to do this?
I also thought that the 2060 is not a high-end card when used with high resolution monitors.
So 1920x1080 FHD would still be fine at 144mhz.
Thanks, I hope I asked the right questions.
If you have other tips I really appreciate them, even links to monitors on amazon with prices up to 250 euro.
Thanks again.

Last edited by White; 21 July 2021 at 15:38.
Old 21 July 2021, 16:36   #4
dreadnought

Nvidia cards support Freesync these days. It mostly works just as well as G-sync. Sometimes it's stated that a monitor is "G-Sync compatible", but even monitors without this cert usually work. Just need to look it up beforehand. I had an AOC Freesync before and it worked fine with my 1080Ti and 3070 RTX. I think the 1440p Acer G-Sync I got later on was slightly better in some games, but if it's true, then the difference wasn't big anyway. It's your call, but you can save some money this way.

If you really need speakers most of these monitors have them anyway, but can you just not plug some speakers into PS5? The audio from internal ones is really pitiful They usually have phono output so you can plug in headphones at least...

About 1080 vs 1440p, your card seems okay for games to be playable in 1440p on reasonable level ~60 fps. Forget about "144Mhz" because not many modern games will run at that speed even in 1080p.

It depends on how much gfx fidelity is important to you. I like high fps without any drops below 60, and max details +Ray Tracing, so I needed a stronger card, but you can dial things down and still get good quality on yours. Look up some reviews and benchmarks, like this one

1080p is still great, of course, and I was very skeptical about moving to 1440p, but after few months spent with this bigger monitor I must admit it's much better. Especially in desktop environment, so much more space....
Old 21 July 2021, 16:46   #5
White

@dreadnought
Thanks for the reply,
i was thinking of taking this and without g-sync
it is probably similar to the one you indicated,
the doubt remains on 144mhz with 2060.
More modern future games will be used on ps5 I got it for just that.
I believe everything I have now will work perfectly.

here is the monitor:
https://tinyurl.com/2e8w3v4w

your opinion?
thanks this helps me to choose :-)
Old 21 July 2021, 16:54   #6
dreadnought

You really need to read up on the "144Mhz" mate, it does not work like you imagine

Also, check about PS5 specifically, because it might work differently with VRR than a PC, and I don't know much about it. Last I checked I'm not sure it even supported it, there was something with HDMI specification, while Xbox did.

This monitor is great, it's the one I had before - but 24inch version. Two things though: imo 27" is too big for 1080p (though some people don't mind), hence the 24 I had, and two, you should be able to find it at least 60E cheaper - don't just go for the first Amazon link. I'm sure there are other online shops in your country too, shop around!
Old 21 July 2021, 17:00   #7
White

@dreadnought
perfect thanks :-)
Old 21 July 2021, 17:13   #8
White

@dreadnought
here the 24 '
https://tinyurl.com/twvvywpx
Old 21 July 2021, 17:17   #9
dreadnought

Yeah, I loved it, they do too: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-...g2/#Conclusion
Old 21 July 2021, 18:50   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you get "g-sync compatible", make sure it is listed here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/ (=confirm it does what it is supposed to do) and make sure minimum refresh rate is less than 50Hz (Amiga normal non-laced refresh rate is 49.92Hz. not exactly 50Hz)
Old 21 July 2021, 20:03   #11
White

@Toni
Thanks for the advice,
I am evaluating the configurations with the various monitors (there are many in reality) the choice is not easy
Also taking into account that the ps5 has an AMD graphics card, freesync seems the most suitable at least for me who want to use it with a monitor for convenience.
Television in 4k is not comfortable for me there are cats around the house :-)
And every time I have to take everything apart
cats take over everything especially the last cat just arrived, she still has to learn and little one :-)

Thanks for all the valuable advice :-)
Old 21 July 2021, 21:41   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@Toni
Also taking into account that the ps5 has an AMD graphics card, freesync seems the most suitable at least for me who want to use it with a monitor for convenience.

Sigh...mate, like I said earlier, PS5 is not a PC. Things work differently and have been changing since PS5's launch. Originally it had only a 120 Mhz mode, in some games, but perhaps it supports VRR now. And "VRR" might or might not equal Freesync. And it works only if you have HDMI 2.1 in your monitor.

I don't have time to untangle this, so, please, spend an hours or two reading about it (eg search for "PS5 freesync gsync) or you might waste some money.

EDIT: I just read that line about cats and 4K, but am afraid to ask what on Earth is the connection between the two things

Last edited by dreadnought; 21 July 2021 at 21:43. Reason: cats in 4K
Old 21 July 2021, 22:31   #13
White

@dreadnought
Currently AOC monitor is one of the recommended monitors for ps5 with one of the latest firmware updates now 144mhz is supported.
It is not easy for me to choose between monitors but AOC currently seems valid to me.
In order not to make mistakes, I keep looking and reading in order not to waste money :-)
And all the tips are very useful for me I really appreciate them.
I was reading about freesync in monitors recommended for ps5 among those that do not cost much.
In the end it should be fine.
I have no particular needs even if it would be easier to find a monitor that works at its best.

For the cat the youngest is learning I am not in the habit of having them operate are personal choices.
And when he gets hot he pees and when I'm not in front of my computers and consoles I have to cover them to prevent him from burning them
well I have to be careful (quick explanation)
In this period I decided to create a good computer station that will eventually accompany me over the years I would say that I have probably taken everything but for the moment I always have to cover everything.
I'm finishing the desk with everything on it (anti cat)
hidden cables etc.
I love cats I don't treat them as animals but as cats with their own personality and I just don't care about the house, it won't come with me once I leave this land.
Soon he will no longer feel the need to mark the territory

In short, I have to cover a lot of computers and consoles when there are no cables included :-)

the other cats are chasing him they are educating him not to pee like mothers do :-)
and I chase it too :-)

I hope this anecdote is funny

Last edited by White; 21 July 2021 at 22:54.
Old 21 July 2021, 23:51   #14
White

@dreadnought
here is a list for the ps5:
AOC also appears
https://mp1st.com/news/compatible-ps...support-120fps

if you have other suggestions I appreciate them gladly, thanks.
Old 22 July 2021, 00:14   #15
White

here a little video, you will probably understand better than me what it says about the AOC monitor:
[ Show youtube player ]

sorry for the OT
Thank you .
Old 22 July 2021, 12:00   #16
White

ordered the AOC 27G2U / BK
shipped and arrives tomorrow

i hope it can be a good monitor for ps5 too
surely it is for the pc and for my needs
Thanks again, for all the advice I appreciated them a lot :-)
Old 22 July 2021, 22:54   #17
hexaae
Bug hunter

This can be useful if you intend to play with WinUAE using g-sync for perfectly smooth scrolling games: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=78
Remember to set WinUAE > Display > Settings > Native: Fullscreen and nothing specified for v-sync.
Old 23 July 2021, 20:05   #18
White

@All
the monitor has arrived
I am very happy with the tests I have carried out
it is g-sync compatible even though it is not listed on the nvidia site

with the ps5 everything works fine and now I can simply connect my speakers with USB and Jack directly to the sockets behind the monitor without having to create a bridge with the video capture card and simply play with the external speakers.

Now Morphos at the first installation recognizes the right monitor frequency without having to manually force it

@hexaae
winuae I have to try it I always take some time to frame things, thanks for the file

In the end, not having great needs, I would say I'm happy.

I will do other tests but of course these are OTs for winuae support.
And indeed I still thank everyone for the advice on the monitor and the kindness in giving me advice even if they were OT.

The only thing I don't like are the very small buttons for the monitor settings and besides they are not highlighted.
But on the other hand, once the configuration has been made, they are unlikely to be used again.

Cat and monitor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g-sync.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	72623   Click image for larger version

Name:	g-sync1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	72624  
Old 27 March 2022, 23:15   #19
White

Although it doesn't have much to do with winuae.

I ask here why I have always received great advice.
I would like to buy a good "sound card"
without spending much
let's say 70-80 euros.

The last card I bought was a sound blaster (I don't remember the model at all).
But together I also bought the speakers of the 5 + 1 sound blaster.
We are talking about over 20 years ago.

It's been a long time really and I guess a lot of "sound cards" have come out.
I remember that sound cards somehow helped the processor as well as clearer sound.

as price and quality "which sound card" would you recommend?
Thanks again.

I was also given the license of "windows 10 enterprise ltsc 2021"
I currently use the "ltsc 2019"

Is it worth installing?
Not so much for the system because what I have is fine.

But only for a version upgrade of the ltsc to a newer version.
I would have to reconfigure all software etc. it takes time.
Is it worth it?

Thanks again for the advice I have always received and you have given me. :-)