English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 November 2015, 12:25   #1
pete_uk

The Rise and Fall of the Commodore Amiga - Kim Justice

Not sure if anyone else knows of Kimble Justice, but he's just posted a video recounting the rise and fall of the Amiga.

Great video and well worth a watch Brought back a lot of memories for me.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 November 2015, 16:27   #2
Gzegzolka

So many memories nice video, he point most important in formations there.
Old 27 October 2016, 22:10   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

from Amiga Plus CD:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 October 2016, 18:18   #4
Amiga1992

i really like Kim's videos, I usually learn a thing or two with those videos.

What I don't like is Bill McEwen, thanks s2325 :P
Old 28 October 2016, 19:46   #5
Salami_INC
SALAMI INC.

I've been subscribed for a long time, quality vidz
Old 17 November 2016, 01:52   #6
Zippy Zapp

The only thing I don't like about this video is what seems to be common from these sorts of videos made outside the USA is that the Amiga didn't sell over here in North America and that it meant nothing. Totally untrue and it meant more then people seem to give it credit for these days. 300k units? I don't think so. The A500 was in every big box store over here and quite popular into the 90's.

Other then that it's a good video.
Old 17 November 2016, 03:43   #7
jhonkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
So many memories nice video, he point most important in formations there.
yes, think so you

Old 17 November 2016, 16:54   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
The A500 was in every big box store over here and quite popular into the 90's.
Just because it was stocked doesn't mean people took it home. I do remember the Amiga not being that popular a platform.
Kim is not the person to say things without background data to support it, so if you have actual contradictory data evidence, bring it on.
Old 17 November 2016, 17:04   #9
Zippy Zapp

True but estimates I have seen in the past numbers that put it at 1.2-1.7 million units in North America. My feelings are that is low too but those are feelings and not based on reality. Back in those days I helped out at several stores that sold Amiga hardware and games and although they were not sellers like the C64, I do fondly recall them selling pretty decently where I was anyway.
Old 20 November 2016, 11:06   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I think what's helped this become a commonly held viewpoint is key people in the industry saying the same thing.

Stewart Chiefet said on this week's Retro Hour podcast that "Commodore didn't make it in the US" because competing (inferior) products with bigger advertising budgets won over the public.

David Pleasance often talks about Commodore's failure to find its feet in the US too.

It's certainly true that there were/are passionate groups of Amiga users in the US, just disproportionately fewer than elsewhere in the world.
Old 21 November 2016, 01:50   #11
Zippy Zapp

No doubt about it that the Amiga was not as successful here as in the UK and Europe. My only beef is that the people saying it today:

1. Didn't live here at the time. (or in some cases weren't even born yet)
2. Make it sound like it was completely non-existent.
3. Way under estimate the numbers of units sold in NA (Subjective, as there isn't a lot of sales data but going by UK magazines, which seems to be the statistics people use, is not accurate).
Old 22 November 2016, 23:44   #12
Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
No doubt about it that the Amiga was not as successful here as in the UK and Europe. My only beef is that the people saying it today:

1. Didn't live here at the time. (or in some cases weren't even born yet)
2. Make it sound like it was completely non-existent.
3. Way under estimate the numbers of units sold in NA (Subjective, as there isn't a lot of sales data but going by UK magazines, which seems to be the statistics people use, is not accurate).
I don't doubt that any of what you said is true.

My personal experience - I was a staunch Commodore fan since '83, I was fascinated with the Amiga before and after launch. I had a subscription to Amiga World from the first issue until sometime in the late 80s and read any coverage I could find in other magazines (Compute, Commodore Magazine, etc.). When my dad needed to buy his first computer for his business in 1990, I unsuccessfully tried to convince him to buy an A3000 rather than a PC.

That said, I do not recall ever seeing the Amiga in the wild during it's production run (or Atari STs, for that matter). Either in stores, school, business, someone's home, etc. It was all 8-bit machines until the late 80s. Then it was mostly PCs, the occasional Mac, and some SGI workstations in college.

Maybe they were more prevalent in other areas of NA, but I never saw one.
Old 30 November 2016, 10:13   #13
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Just because it was stocked doesn't mean people took it home. I do remember the Amiga not being that popular a platform.
Kim is not the person to say things without background data to support it, so if you have actual contradictory data evidence, bring it on.
hahahahaha...

hahahaha!!

just check Kim Justice (?!? wtf? Justice? how convenient) shits about Atari, Jack Tramiel and Commodore: she still spread propaganda that Jack Tramiel invest $500.000 to get Amiga chipset! And this is one of many misinformation that she spoke in Atari, Jack Tramiel related videos!

She certainly does not check background data before she open her mouth; she is nothing more than a jester.
Old 30 November 2016, 10:23   #14
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacm View Post
hahahahaha...

hahahaha!!

just check Kim Justice (?!? wtf? Justice? how convenient) shits about Atari, Jack Tramiel and Commodore: she still spread propaganda that Jack Tramiel invest $500.000 to get Amiga chipset! And this is one of many misinformation that she spoke in Atari, Jack Tramiel related videos!

She certainly does not check background data before she open her mouth; she is nothing more than a jester.
Isn't Kim Justice a HE and not a SHE? Or am I thinking of the wrong person.
Old 30 November 2016, 10:29   #15
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Isn't Kim Justice a HE and not a SHE? Or am I thinking of the wrong person.
I never figure this out. From video I would say it is "she" (maybe proper calling would be: "it").
Old 30 November 2016, 11:21   #16
s2325
Zone Friend

I should not smiling now.
Old 01 December 2016, 06:53   #17
ptyerman

Quote:
I never figure this out. From video I would say it is "she" (maybe proper calling would be: "it").
Someone needs to do a little research and know what they're talking about before spouting crap!
Old 01 December 2016, 10:03   #18
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Someone needs to do a little research and know what they're talking about before spouting crap!
I just watched video that pete_uk posted in first post from Kim Justice.

Kim Justice need to do, not little, but HUGE research since "it" SPREAD LIES that Jack Tramiel invested money in Amiga and that he want to build computer around Amiga chips!!!!

He got thousand views and this LIE will become true if enough STUPID ASS H***** repeat it like parrots!!!

Kim Justice need to be STOPED! (whatever "he" is "she", or "she" is "it").
Old 01 December 2016, 12:28   #19
Sinphaltimus

Well. I purchased my a500 in 91 st Software Etc... In NYC.

So me and my 10 out do friends at the time are part of that 100k sold in the U.S. I guess.
Old 01 December 2016, 14:46   #20
ptyerman

Quote:
I just watched video that pete_uk posted in first post from Kim Justice.

Kim Justice need to do, not little, but HUGE research since "it" SPREAD LIES that Jack Tramiel invested money in Amiga and that he want to build computer around Amiga chips!!!!

He got thousand views and this LIE will become true if enough STUPID ASS H***** repeat it like parrots!!!

Kim Justice need to be STOPED! (whatever "he" is "she", or "she" is "it").
OK. I'll give you a little history lesson and a link to read through which gives you most of the story.
The initial funding that was given to Jay Minor for the Amiga development was given by the Warner owned Atari, in return Atari was to gain exclusive right to the Amiga for 12 months. Jack Tramiel came along in the middle of all this and this is where things got complicated.
Anyway read about it all yourself, it's quite the story. Wikipedia has a general description of what went on at the time, there is more accurate citations out there but it gives the general idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Corporation