English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 December 2022, 23:33   #61
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
One important gameplay detail, namely the waterfall physics, seems to be missing. In the original Turrican 2 on Amiga, jump height inside a waterfall was decreased due to the water pushing the sprite down. In this version, the jump height is the same inside and outside the waterfalls. I tested this on the first waterfall inside the puddle, by jumping under left waterfall and in-between the two waterfalls, and comparing the jump height.

Good spot, this is the first time I've heard of this. I wonder if it affects jumping up the secrets blocks in the later waterfall. I have added it to the list to look at for a future update.

Thankfully there are no serious problems reported so far, but I have a few minor tweaks that I will make. Including making the default sprite the Amiga one, as I'm tired of reading comments about it!
Old 21 December 2022, 23:35   #62
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have just completed the game on Normal difficulty. I must say this:

EXCELLENT!!!

I love it. Maybe a blasphemy, but it is even better than the original Turrican II for Amiga - with those added secrets and the look down feature, plus the control schemes option - I am totally stunned!

Thank you a lot for this game!

LemonAmiga entry for anyone who would like rate and comment this game:

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=4823
Old 21 December 2022, 23:39   #63
Estrayk

What can I say? What a nice surprise, thank you so much for this gift Muzza. You have done a fantastic job and I'm sure we are all AMIGA lovers, grateful.
Old 21 December 2022, 23:42   #64
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
I had almost tears of joy in my eyes while i was playing
and found 19 of the 24 secrets. (hey, it was my first try )

Found this graphic glitch like in the last demo.
(played on Mist/er)

This is the new benchmark on how a new Amiga game can be
and one for the Amiga History Books, thats for sure !

Thank you forever, Muzza

PS: What is the reward? Maybe some of the OG Sprites ?
Some are ridiculous (not your fault master Muzza !)

Springs instead of bouncing eyeballs in a creepy Alienworld, really ?

The reward is not a secret if I tell you
But I expect it won't be too long until someone finds it if you already got 19.

I am aware of some graphical bugs that crop up on some emulators and FPGA machines in World 3. They don't show in real Amigas, or in the latest WinUAE. I know the Vampire V4 is being looked at by the author. Another user resolved a Minimig issue with a firmware update. It is worth checking you have the latest, and perhaps pushing the author for a firmware update.

I did at one point attempt to make the copper list more timing forgiving to resolve some of these problems, but I don't have the hardware to test on myself, plus my changes often ended up breaking real Amigas and WinUAE. Some of the copper timings were quite tight as I recall.
Old 21 December 2022, 23:43   #65
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Unbelievable, an epic achievement. The fame will be with Muzza forever.
Old 21 December 2022, 23:44   #66
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
But I expect it won't be too long until someone finds it if you already got 19.
I expect a written report with two hand copies on the 19+ secrets by Monday morning Torti
Old 22 December 2022, 00:00   #67
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda

I think everything is forgiven

One small difference - the first "Exit" arrow in Level 1-1 above the waterfall can be shot down in original Amiga Turrican II for some points reward.

BTW have guys from Factor 5 already play it? I am sure they will be moved.
Old 22 December 2022, 00:09   #68
deladrevoc
Not enough time

Only A Muzza makes it possible

Old 22 December 2022, 00:39   #69
vulture

@Muzza

I feel like I'm 14 again, what an excellent job! It's definitely the best Turrican game (not just II) I've played (and I've played them all)!

One technical question, if the bit depth was lowered to 7 or 6, would it be possible to have the same result on a stock A1200 without the fast mem?
Old 22 December 2022, 01:03   #70
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
One technical question, if the bit depth was lowered to 7 or 6, would it be possible to have the same result on a stock A1200 without the fast mem?
I did tests on a much earlier version of the game and found I would need to do more than that. Losing several bitplanes, reducing the amount of on-screen action (or allowing serious slow downs), and potentially reducing the size of some of the bosses.
Re-doing all the art was not an option, and an A1200 with a modest amount of Fast RAM (no accelerator required) was a hardware target I was happy with, so it all fit.
Making it for a base A1200 was a different project, and for me would have delivered too little over the original to make it worthwhile.

The way I think of it, if the A1200 had the popularity of the A500, and Fast RAM the norm, this could have had the market to be released in the 90s.
Old 22 December 2022, 01:07   #71
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
I did tests on a much earlier version of the game and found I would need to do more than that. Losing several bitplanes, reducing the amount of on-screen action (or allowing serious slow downs), and potentially reducing the size of some of the bosses.
Re-doing all the art was not an option, and an A1200 with a modest amount of Fast RAM (no accelerator required) was a hardware target I was happy with, so it all fit.
Making it for a base A1200 was a different project, and for me would have delivered too little over the original to make it worthwhile.

The way I think of it, if the A1200 had the popularity of the A500, and Fast RAM the norm, this could have had the market to be released in the 90s.
Ok, all this is great, but we lack disk stickers for the 3 disks or even better box + manual ?
Old 22 December 2022, 01:12   #72
vulture

Quote:

I'm happy you opted for the 2+2mb config then, the game is absolutely stellar!
Old 22 December 2022, 01:16   #73
CrashMidnick

Thank you so much !!
Old 22 December 2022, 01:24   #74
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ok, all this is great, but we lack disk stickers for the 3 disks or even better box + manual ?

It would have been great to do an official release like that, but the situation with the rights meant it was not to be.
I'm sure some talented person can come up with these things though.
Old 22 December 2022, 01:44   #75
Fiery Phoenix

Great work - love the additional options and the fact it recognises additional buttons. Great touches

One thing when using the WHDLoad version - music (especially speech) seems lower to my ears. Loaded up Turrican 2 (original version) as well (using WinUAE) and most definalty louder there. Pressed F12 and compared settings to both side by side and can see no change

Unless it is just me / my settings

Eitherway great work and good too see a project come to fruitition
Old 22 December 2022, 04:06   #76
Mixel

This is frankly amazing and it’s nice being able to play it on the Amiga and I love the new features. I’ve always liked the DOS version as an oddity. Congrats on a job well done, and you deserve a break, haha!

I still dream of one day a T2+ “Amiga assets but remastered with more colours” existing. (Not necessarily based on your engine, that seems a bit much to ask when you’ve already just made a perfect port, lol) I wonder what factor 5 would think of that.
Old 22 December 2022, 07:08   #77
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Great work - love the additional options and the fact it recognises additional buttons. Great touches

One thing when using the WHDLoad version - music (especially speech) seems lower to my ears. Loaded up Turrican 2 (original version) as well (using WinUAE) and most definalty louder there. Pressed F12 and compared settings to both side by side and can see no change

Unless it is just me / my settings

Eitherway great work and good too see a project come to fruitition
The volume as a whole will be lower than the original. This is because I use Roondars audio mixer to be able to play 3 sound effects without cutting out any music channels (the original would sometimes cut out part of the music for a sound).
Basically you should just turn up the volume a bit for my version.
If you find the balance between the music and sounds to be off - that is another issue. I tried to get it right, but I noticed a huge difference between playing on an old TV and playing with a modern sound system. It was hard to get it right for both.
Old 22 December 2022, 07:24   #78
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
I still dream of one day a T2+ “Amiga assets but remastered with more colours” existing. (Not necessarily based on your engine, that seems a bit much to ask when you’ve already just made a perfect port, lol) I wonder what factor 5 would think of that.
I often thought about the same. If you are prepared to do all the art, we should talk. All the hard programming work is done already!

Although I also think if all the art was being replaced, it would be tempting to just make it an original game at that point.
Old 22 December 2022, 07:48   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Although I also think if all the art was being replaced, it would be tempting to just make it an original game at that point.
Christams 2023?
Old 22 December 2022, 08:37   #80
AmyMor

An exceptional work!
Played and finished without any problems on Amiga1200 with VampireV2, Joypad DualShock2 fully supported and mapped.

If I can afford some advice, I would tell Muzza to lower the noise of the weapons by one tone, highlighting the digitized speech. Even the bombs, at least on the WhdLoad version, do not produce any noise.

Apart from that TURICAN 2 AGA is a monumental thing!