Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 May 2023, 13:07   #201
Luca underdog

ah i understood... but maybe we loss originality
Old 11 May 2023, 02:35   #202
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I still believe this game would require AGA to look like the arcade.
I think nobody deny that.
I would be perfectly happy with Richard Aplin version of graphics, and speed of the game, only if the gameplay was closer to Final Fight... Amiga version is more like a Double Dragon fighting style (well, no wonder because Richard was also coding that game ).

From what I understood Brick Nash, his main goal is gameplay improvement too, and I am really happy because of it.

I could play FF on Amiga, even if stick figures were drawn, as long as the gameplay stays the same.
Old 12 May 2023, 10:41   #203
Master484

Okay, in the end I couldn't resist, so a copper optimized version of the arcade backgrounds + my sprites has been uploaded to the graphics forum:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114496

The post there includes an ADF, so you can test it out in WinUAE.
Old 12 May 2023, 15:18   #204
Howardphilips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Okay, in the end I couldn't resist, so a copper optimized version of the arcade backgrounds + my sprites has been uploaded to the graphics forum:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114496

The post there includes an ADF, so you can test it out in WinUAE.
This is really impressive! Well done!!!
Old 13 May 2023, 13:05   #205
Brick Nash
Prototron

If anyone wants the arcade game's assets for maybe doing an A1200 version, then pretty much everything can be found here:

http://https://spritedatabase.net/game/608

I think the only things missing are the weapons and pickup items.

Changing my version would be a pain as there are lots of subtle edits to the sprites' widths and heights to make Blitting easier, so it be a nightmare to sift through and get everything aligned if using new graphics (I can't even remember what's different and what isn't).

I'm pretty happy with how it looks anyway (one of my goals was to see how the original palette could be used differently, so using something else would negate that). Plus, I tried Copper skies with Hardware sprites as background layers a while ago, but the DMA is being pushed to the limit from just rendering the Bobs and tiles alone, so the extra load simply isn't worth it for a mild aesthetic novelty.

Anyway, the game is coming along. Just working on weapons now, but all the moves are in and it plays quite nicely. The player(s) can move between levels, and all the enemy spawners/breakable objects work very well.

I will make it HD installable, but I'm just using disks at the moment to:

1) Learn how to do it
2) To keep it simple (this is still my first Amiga coding project after all)

Thanks!
Old 13 May 2023, 14:14   #206
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
If anyone wants the arcade game's assets for maybe doing an A1200 version, then pretty much everything can be found here:

http://https://spritedatabase.net/game/608

I think the only things missing are the weapons and pickup items.

Changing my version would be a pain as there are lots of subtle edits to the sprites' widths and heights to make Blitting easier, so it be a nightmare to sift through and get everything aligned if using new graphics (I can't even remember what's different and what isn't).

I'm pretty happy with how it looks anyway (one of my goals was to see how the original palette could be used differently, so using something else would negate that). Plus, I tried Copper skies with Hardware sprites as background layers a while ago, but the DMA is being pushed to the limit from just rendering the Bobs and tiles alone, so the extra load simply isn't worth it for a mild aesthetic novelty.

Anyway, the game is coming along. Just working on weapons now, but all the moves are in and it plays quite nicely. The player(s) can move between levels, and all the enemy spawners/breakable objects work very well.

I will make it HD installable, but I'm just using disks at the moment to:

1) Learn how to do it
2) To keep it simple (this is still my first Amiga coding project after all)

Thanks!
those are rips, and uncomplete sprite frames. For instance, Haggar here has 62 frames, in reality, the game has 80 frames.....
Old 19 May 2023, 21:41   #207
Howardphilips

https://twitter.com/Brick_Nash/statu...C8hZqUnIUuAAAANew Cody portrait.

Never liked the original as he looked a bit too gormless, so gave him a wee facelift.

A bit more Captain America and a bit less Rodney Trotter.
Old 17 June 2023, 06:31   #208
Howardphilips

https://twitter.com/Brick_Nash/statu...Cz3aGgvaouAAAA
Had 3 weeks of some absolutely brutal bugs to work though, but it's getting there.

Everything's running from disks now (will make it HD installable later), + can move through Levels with assets being loaded in/out.

I could do a playable demo, but I'd rather just press ahead.
Old 17 June 2023, 10:13   #209
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardphilips View Post
https://twitter.com/Brick_Nash/statu...Cz3aGgvaouAAAA
Had 3 weeks of some absolutely brutal bugs to work though, but it's getting there.

Everything's running from disks now (will make it HD installable later), + can move through Levels with assets being loaded in/out.

I could do a playable demo, but I'd rather just press ahead.
Nice !
I hope he will make easily replaceable gfx, if someone wants to make an AGA version.
Old 01 July 2023, 13:43   #210
Howardphilips

Quick message: as Twitter has decided to lock out any user that has not a Twitter account, I am not able anymore to report on the rumblings of this port's author. Wishing him the best and to keep his motivation!
Old 01 July 2023, 13:59   #211
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardphilips View Post
Quick message: as Twitter has decided to lock out any user that has not a Twitter account, I am not able anymore to report on the rumblings of this port's author. Wishing him the best and to keep his motivation!
Well shit, I guess Elon Tusk went full lunatic mode!
Old 01 July 2023, 15:43   #212
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I logged in with my Twitter account and Twitter is glitching anyway.
Old 21 July 2023, 10:22   #213
Brick Nash
Prototron

Just thought I'd post a little update on how things are going (no footage).

The project is about 90% done. Can go through the entire game and loop back to the title screen with no real issues. Basic spawners on all levels work, and it plays quite well I think. I'm working on bosses at the moment, and still got a couple of tunes to do, plus the end sequence and intro, but after that it's just sprinkles.

A few bullet points:

- There's a bit of slowdown in 2 -player mode, which may just be inevitable (dem big sprites), but I've not looked at surgical optimisation yet (still just getting things working). Might even pass that task to someone else if they enjoy that sort of thing.

- I've been plagued with a lot of very stubborn bugs lately which have taken ages to track down, but it's smoothing out now.

- Still to do custom level boundary changes and stops (slanted walls/top and bottom etc.)

- It only runs from disk right now, and only from DF0

- Some transitions I just can't be bothered with ATM, like walking down steps etc. It adds nothing to the actual gameplay and would take more time to implement.

- I was allocating memory for sound effects wrong and not DeAllocating some title screen stuff correctly, so I discovered that I have a little more memory than I thought. Just means I can use a few more sound effects (like wood breaking) which I had previously cut.

- I have a few ideas for extra stuff which I think is entirely possible, but we'll see.

I think that's about it. I only have a few hours a week to dedicate to this project, which is almost nothing in coder-time, but small victories seem to add up.

Cheers!
Old 21 July 2023, 10:42   #214
jotd
This cat is no more

great news, after a lot of disappointments on that game.

Runs only from disk => not an issue someone will create a whdload slave.
Old 21 July 2023, 11:10   #215
lesta_smsc

Thank you for the updates. Appears you'd gone AWOL after teasing with your creation! Lol

Do you know, the game could be released as an alternative to original. Imagine all those people overwriting their original Final Fight disks with this enhanced version
Old 21 July 2023, 11:12   #216
jurassicman

Great news! Thanks!
Old 21 July 2023, 11:49   #217
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Do you know, the game could be released as an alternative to original. Imagine all those people overwriting their original Final Fight disks with this enhanced version
I'd rather not think of it that way. I have the utmost respect for what Richard Aplin did in the time he had, and this isn't an attempt to rubbish or replace his work.

I'd prefer to look at this as its own version and not a remake (it just shares a few graphical assets for convenience, but everything else is new). The "Enhanced" in Final Fight: Enhanced refers to the Enhanced Chipset. Not an enhancement of the US Gold game.

A nice way to see it would be that the OCS version is the 1991 game, and this is for ECS.
Old 21 July 2023, 12:12   #218
sokolovic

Nice. Pretty impatient to try this. Wouldn't this game be the first and only game specifically ECS ?
And would you let the community make an AGA version of it or do you prefer not ?
Old 21 July 2023, 12:39   #219
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Nice. Pretty impatient to try this. Wouldn't this game be the first and only game specifically ECS ?
Here's a thread with a few games that used ECS or were ECS only: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52099
Old 21 July 2023, 15:54   #220
d4rk3lf

Hi Brick Nash.
Awesome to hear about your progress.
Can't wait to play it.

Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
- All grab moves will be included.

- 2 Buttons only. Controllers are pretty cheap.

- 2MB of Chip RAM is needed. I'm not sure if it'd work with modded A500s which can access 2MB Chip RAM, but I'm not using anything else which is ECS specific (yet), so I don't see why not (I'm not really knowledgeable enough to say though).

I did try a 1MB OCS version, and it worked fine + had all the moves, but the CPU X-Flip was just too slow. It was never going to get any faster with sprites that size, and I got tired of fighting it, so using the extra ECS ChipMem to store mirrored sprites and make up for the Amiga's lack of hardware flipping functions seemed like the most sensible option.

- Is 2 MB chip Ram still an requirement?
If so.. that might be additional push for me to just buy some A1200 when I save some money...
- Could you please make it possible for keyboard controls, and that we have our ability to configure keys?