English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 04 January 2015, 17:13   #21
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

I have used DPaint since II and got all the big boxes and manuals, and really would be happy to see a real fixed update after 5.0. Comparing 4.x to 5.0 is wrong, since there were a lot of things added. Like the III to IV (HAM) to 4.5 (AGA) changes.
Old 05 January 2015, 14:29   #22
Ami_GFX

Almost everything I've tried in Dpaint 5.2 works in native Amiga modes. Dpaint is an eccentric piece of software that is not always in compliance with Amiga OS. It is probably best to use it in OS 3.1. I don't know what was used to code it but I would guess that a lot of it was coded in assembly which could account for the small differerences between and same size of the 5.0 and 5.2 files. The bug fix could have been something as simple as changing a hard coded mask value or using a different op code in a routine that had the same byte size as the one that caused the bug. What can be done by hacking a file with a hex editor can also be done by changing assembly values in the source code. Hacking binaries generally leads to unpredictable results and lots of bugs. 5.2 is more stable and bug free than 5.0 which makes sure that the "Ian Coggins" tosec image is real.

Cracked programs usually came with a lot of bragging by the cracker or group that put it out. Dpaint 5.2 has none of that and it wasn't copy protected in any way other than hard coding the registration on the floppy so every install after the first one would have the name first registered.
Old 05 January 2015, 22:30   #23
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Come on, you seriously believe that?
As it was pointed the reg data is part of the executable, you can delete it from the binary and it will ask to register itself again. There is no code difference between the versions, and 5.2 has clear cracker/group details on the floppies. SO IT"S NOT REAL!
Old 05 January 2015, 23:55   #24
Superman

Version 5.2 on this site (or so it says) HD install only

http://www.pictureinthesky.net/applications.php
Old 06 January 2015, 01:09   #25
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Old 06 January 2015, 01:19   #26
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

http://www.pictureinthesky.net/appinfo.php?id=194

does that work?
Old 06 January 2015, 04:33   #27
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
No , "Forbidden" too.
Old 06 January 2015, 05:37   #28
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

This is the same FAKE as the TOSEC archives.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:54   #29
zipper

Quote:
No , "Forbidden" too.
The problem is on your side, I got:

Old 06 January 2015, 14:44   #30
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Come on, you seriously believe that?
As it was pointed the reg data is part of the executable, you can delete it from the binary and it will ask to register itself again. There is no code difference between the versions, and 5.2 has clear cracker/group details on the floppies. SO IT"S NOT REAL!
Why would anyone crack it? No real copy protection.

I did reset the reg data years ago. I found one bit of changed code in the 5.2 file which I assume was the airbrush routine fix.

At this point it's just a friggen poll and my vote is DPaint5.2 is REAL! I think there is some verification of that if you do some research on the history of DPaint. There is some record of it being a bug fix. You can vote on it any way you like. I've just been doing art with it for a few years and I notice things like an airbrush not working.
Old 06 January 2015, 15:57   #31
daxb

Is there somewhere documentation available?

Edit: Ater a search in the forum I found it.

Last edited by daxb; 08 January 2015 at 19:31.
Old 06 January 2015, 16:36   #32
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Really wondering what could be wrong with the airbrush ?
It is working the same in both versions.

Done some more experiments, and I can confirm that even entering the same reg data produces different exe files since some data is randomised, if you are referring to these few bites, then they do not have any effect on the airbrush, only on how it startsup.

the 5.0 you are referring to was probably an early beta or crack
Old 08 January 2015, 15:30   #33
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Really wondering what could be wrong with the airbrush ?
It is working the same in both versions.

Done some more experiments, and I can confirm that even entering the same reg data produces different exe files since some data is randomised, if you are referring to these few bites, then they do not have any effect on the airbrush, only on how it startsup.

the 5.0 you are referring to was probably an early beta or crack
It's been so long that I don't remember what the bug was but it was annoying--it made the new airbrush pretty much useless. The reg data is not in the code section. There was a section of code that was different in the two files. The code area is pretty obvious by the byte patterns. I never went as far as disassembing but I did compare different versions of Dpaint in a hex editor. It wouldn't be that difficult to dissasmble it but I don't have much time for that these days.

There is a lot on the history of Dpaint online. It had a long history and was available on several platforms. I have the MSDOS version somewhere. Nowhere as good as the Amiga version but the same program essentially. Googling Deluxe Paint 5 brings up old posts of mine on Amiga.org. LOL

The 5.0 I had was from original floppies. No crack. I don't think there was much motivation to crack a program that wasn't copy protected. I just looked at the 5.2 adfs and they look real enough to me. Release notes with a date from electronic arts. No .nfo files or other tags from any group or cracker. None on the adf name either like a lot of cracked tosec adfs.
Old 08 January 2015, 19:12   #34
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

please up the disk1 adf to the zone
Old 08 January 2015, 20:30   #35
Ami_GFX

It's in storage in a box somewhere. Since the airbrush is buggy, I ended up using the Tosec 5.2 adfs. I don't think mine is any different than the other 5.0 adfs online. There are also Dpaint 5 CDs but I've never seen one for sale. Dpaint 5 came out after Commodore tanked and they didn't put much effort to getting it distributed by the looks of it.

The new airbrush is kind of wicked. Depending on the size and flow rate, it does things that are nice and not what you would expect an airbrush to do like shifting colors and creating gradients.
Old 08 January 2015, 22:09   #36
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I remember the 5.0 to be not very stable for me, even with an unaltered 3.1 I had some gurus.Not just in the emu but on the real miggi,too.
In 5.2 I had no problems so far. It works fine in my WinUAE PicassoIV CGFX4 Workbench with some patches and eyecandy.In PAL and on GFX card screens.

There must be some real difference.

Even if it is a cracked 5.0 that would not explain why anyone(with a lucid mind) would change the version number,without any changes or improvements on the code.
And as mentioned before there is no obvious hint of a group or person, which seems odd for a cracker.
Old 28 April 2021, 00:01   #37
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Is there an option to put a physical onscreen grid in d-paint 4? I am aware of the invisible grid option and have checked the manual index. And is there any size indicator as you draw say a straight line- the pixel length I mean. Or any way to check the size of the current pixel sprite that one may be drawing?
Old 28 April 2021, 12:03   #38
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Not sure if you saw this on amigalove.com, but it was kinda interesting and might point to various bespoke or dev versions floating about.

https://www.amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1546
Old 28 April 2021, 12:36   #39
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
And is there any size indicator as you draw say a straight line- the pixel length I mean.
If you turn on the coordinates display, I'm pretty sure it switches to showing length when you draw a line.
Old 29 April 2021, 01:37   #40
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
If you turn on the coordinates display, I'm pretty sure it switches to showing length when you draw a line.
I will check d-paint again. Did not find it previously. I am working my way through the manual currently.