English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 September 2010, 23:33   #1
MrGimper

Widescreen on LCD tv

Guys

I have a 19" samsung LCD tv which I've hooked my a1200 up to via rgb/scart

Can I change the resolution in os 3.9 to a wider screen resolution to avoid stretching the 640x512 display?

The screen native res is 1440x900

Cheers
Old 19 September 2010, 00:08   #2
Jope
-

Not really.. The TV probably won't show the HighGFX modes without an Indivision card.

Just run it in 4:3 mode. That's what I do.
Old 19 September 2010, 00:20   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

I think Workbench looks nice when stretched horizontally, just like browsing EAB does!
Old 19 September 2010, 06:56   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
You can use a not-common 1280x640 screen mode that flicker to the point you go blind but seems OK on the wide screen resolution.
Old 19 September 2010, 08:54   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I think Workbench looks nice when stretched horizontally, just like browsing EAB does! :)
If I ever used animated smilies, this would be the time. The aspect ratio must always be correct. :-o
Old 19 September 2010, 12:03   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
If I ever used animated smilies, this would be the time. The aspect ratio must always be correct. :-o
Its never really bothered me. When you start looking from simple things like this, then all the fun goes out the window.
Old 19 September 2010, 13:42   #7
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Its never really bothered me. When you start looking from simple things like this, then all the fun goes out the window.
Reminds me of a story with the old folks getting a widescreen TV... you know, the kind of people who have still 00:00 blinking on their stereo and such. They spend a whole evening looking at their glorious new TV without bothering to press the aspect ratio button. After an evening of enjoyment they turn to each other and say in chorus: "My, what a difference in picture quality compared to our old one! ...But why the long face, darling?"
Old 19 September 2010, 14:53   #8
Jope
-

Quote:
Thankfully my devices do it automatically, I rarely have to manually switch the ratio. :-)
Old 19 September 2010, 20:52   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Reminds me of a story with the old folks getting a widescreen TV... you know, the kind of people who have still 00:00 blinking on their stereo and such. They spend a whole evening looking at their glorious new TV without bothering to press the aspect ratio button. After an evening of enjoyment they turn to each other and say in chorus: "My, what a difference in picture quality compared to our old one! ...But why the long face, darling?"
Spose, after dealing with customers for the last 11 years in my old job, exactly like you just described. I can relate to that.

But I think you misunderstood me. Its always wide screen and my A1200 looks great.
Have'nt noticed any stretching. My point was, if oyu start looking for impurities then you will constantly be looking.
Old 19 September 2010, 22:45   #10
Cammy

Here's a video of me browsing the web on an A1200 with a 16:9 LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1440x900. I'm running Workbench in PAL Super High Res Interlace 1376 x 536. It's possible to set it to 1440x576 but it depends on your monitor how much of that it can display without pushing it outside the overscan area.

[ Show youtube player ] (Turn volume down if you don't like music)

The aspect is still wrong, but at least a lot more fits on the screen.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:46   #11
Photon

Quote:
Spose, after dealing with customers for the last 11 years in my old job, exactly like you just described. I can relate to that.

But I think you misunderstood me. Its always wide screen and my A1200 looks great.
Have'nt noticed any stretching. My point was, if oyu start looking for impurities then you will constantly be looking.
Well, aspect ratio is not an impurity, or a small flaw. Watch squeezed pictures, faces, game graphics (pinball tables) for the rest of my (well the TV's) life? Not me!

But if you have no stretching, then everything is fine of course.

Right now I'm repairing/finding a replacement for my A600 8" screen's CPU, some fine noise-snow is noticable on dark colors. I spent some evenings finding the cause, and will spend more evening looking for components. But it's better to fix the problem, then you can enjoy/use it to the max. (Coding assembler needs a crisp screen/not stretched chars, or eyes get tired. Dpaint requires square pixels, else everything I draw is wrong on proper Amiga setups. That's the kind of thing I mean.)