English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 May 2019, 17:16   #1
Ponki1986

Black screen after pressing Ctrl Alt Del.

Hello. I have a strange problem with WinUAE on WinXP. WinXP is modified, WinUAE is launched instead of the shell. Task manager, logon screen and login messages are turned off. Automatic login is enabled, and after pressing Ctrl Alt Del, the system security window appears. There was a problem here. When WB is loaded using Picasso96, after pressing Ctrl Alt Del and then returning to WinUAE / WB, the screen is black. Pressing F12 opens the GUI, but when it is closed, the screen is still black. When I press Ctrl Alt Del again and then return to the black screen, WinXP crashes/freeze. It does not matter if the image is displayed in full screen or full window. Using the AGA / ECS screen everything is fine. Changing settings from Direct3D to DirectDraw does not help. I've reinstalled the GPU and DirectX drivers without success. I have checked several versions of WinUAE (4.01, 4.1, 4.2) and it is still the same. I think I'll install XP again. Did anyone have a similar problem? In WinUAE, I emulate A1200, MC68040, UAEGfx ZIII, AGA. Until then everything worked well.

Last edited by Ponki1986; 09 May 2019 at 19:00.
Old 09 May 2019, 22:12   #2
Diguelo

This sounds very much like a screen resolution exchange that has gone wrong. If you are using Full Screen on WinUAE and I am assuming here that it is on a laptop where the screen resolution doesnt match, you get a massive screen lag swapping from UAE to Desktop.
This isnt just for UAE generally it is a sign that the screen drivers are corrupt or just dont work, or they are just the generic windows versions.
Just out of sheer curiosity there was a missing file in 95, 98, ME and XP, XPSP2, XPSP3, Vista and W7, out of the drivers in windows, "mscoree.dll". This causes all kinds of funky bugs all over the system, primarily in screens and coms.

Open My computer,

Right click on Computer and select properties,

Left side select Device manager

Once its open select Display Adapter then whatever is listed
Right click on this and select properties

In the window there shouldnt be ANY of the driver files for that item in Brackets, more than likely there will be a (mscoree.dll) showing. This means the file is missing. Other bracketed files may be shown. Make a note of them all, theres most ikely 6 dlls missing.

If you have the XP system disk the files are actually on it, just mistakenly on purpose not installed with the OS or added in Windows Updates, they are in the cab files on there or can be downloaded from the Microsoft website and added to the windows/System32 folder.

After you have pasted them imto the proper place, do a reboot and check the drivers again to see that ALL bracketed driver files have gone away. If not repeat this procedure till they have.

Ok now you will notice a speeding up of everything in the computer or laptop as it now has everything it needs. reinstall any dedicated drivers NVIDIA, ATI, Realtek etc for Sound, Graphics etc. This time they will be loaded and work correctly and all your programs should now be fine.

If you have a registry checker thats reliable, use it to clear out the odd registry error. A defrag wont go amiss either to speed it up a tad more.

Hope this solves your issue, but it does sound very much like this is the root cause.

Last edited by Diguelo; 09 May 2019 at 22:13. Reason: Typos due to old age sorry
Old 10 May 2019, 00:58   #3
Ponki1986

Probably the reason is Multithread RTG. I turned it off. When I press Ctrl Alt Del, and then return to WB, the screen is black. But when I move the mouse up and down, the screen is refreshed. I can repeat the action many times and WinXP does not hang. The question is why everything worked well before. To be sure, I made the format and reinstalled XP and drivers. But it did not help. And my computer is the HP T5730.
Old 10 May 2019, 11:31   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE Windows XP support is almost gone, only basic A500/A1200 configs are expected to work. Any more complex config: you are on your own, sorry.

You can try reducing Z3 and RTG RAM size, XP has really limited per process available memory space.
Old 11 May 2019, 23:29   #5
Ponki1986

Thank you for your response. Yes, I know that WinXP is not supported anymore, even by its author. I based my project on it only because it was easy to modify its settings. After starting the computer, the Workbench appears on the screen instead of the Desktop. I will try to change the WinUAE settings so that everything works as well as possible. Thank you for your help. Greetings.