English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 July 2021, 15:52   #1
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Getting RTG screenmodes to work in A4000

I have an A4000, 3.1.4 ROMs and a clean install of AmigaOS 3.2. I have a PiccoloSD64 RTG card that’s known to be working when I used to have 3.1/3.9.

Picasso96 installs without problems, I selected my RTG card during installation. When I run PicassoMode, it displays a list of screenmodes and palettes associated with my card. All options are greyed, though, so I can’t test or use them. None of the modes are listed under the system screenmodes. If I try ot add a new item in PicassoMode, the whole system crashes. Also, in PicassoMode, the Attach function lists no boards.

System diagnostics shows the RTG card and states it okay.

Any ideas?
Old 11 August 2021, 04:18   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
I have an A4000, 3.1.4 ROMs and a clean install of AmigaOS 3.2. I have a PiccoloSD64 RTG card that’s known to be working when I used to have 3.1/3.9.

Picasso96 installs without problems, I selected my RTG card during installation. When I run PicassoMode, it displays a list of screenmodes and palettes associated with my card. All options are greyed, though, so I can’t test or use them. None of the modes are listed under the system screenmodes. If I try ot add a new item in PicassoMode, the whole system crashes. Also, in PicassoMode, the Attach function lists no boards.

Any ideas?
I don’t know much about your card. But if it’s anything like setting up a Voodoo 3 or Radeon card using a mediator. I take it the card is in Devs:Monitors?
All drivers are installed in the Picasso folder?
Old 11 August 2021, 16:34   #3
protek
Amiga hobbyist

^Card is in Devs/Monitors and Picasso drivers are in the default folders suggested by the install script.
Old 11 August 2021, 19:26   #4
freakofnature

Have you tried Prefs/Screenmode first? PicassoMode is for creating new custom modes or altering the current sets to fit your needs, e.g. to fine tune the screenmode for unsupported monitors.

Run Screenmode to test and save the mode for daily use.
Old 11 August 2021, 21:20   #5
DarrenHD

Quote:

Any ideas?
Can you not just copy in an existing Picasso96Settings file and put it in DEVS: ? A Settings file with all the modes.
Old 11 August 2021, 22:44   #6
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakofnature View Post
Have you tried Prefs/Screenmode first? PicassoMode is for creating new custom modes or altering the current sets to fit your needs, e.g. to fine tune the screenmode for unsupported monitors.

Run Screenmode to test and save the mode for daily use.
Screenmode only lists native RGB modes.
Old 11 August 2021, 22:45   #7
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Can you not just copy in an existing Picasso96Settings file and put it in DEVS: ? A Settings file with all the modes.
Maybe, I need to check that out.
Old 12 August 2021, 07:52   #8
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
The existing settings must be from someone with the same kind of GFX board so that the settings are bound to the correct board.
Old 12 August 2021, 08:11   #9
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Is the PicassoMode crashing when trying to create new screenmodes an incompatibility issue with AmigaOS3.2 and/or 3.1.4 ROMs? I heard that there are differences between Picasso96 versions.
Old 12 August 2021, 10:17   #10
Jope
-

Which P96 version are you on currently?

There have been some 3.1.4/3.2 related updates to it in the recent years.
Old 12 August 2021, 10:45   #11
Thomas Richter

Quote:
If the "attach" function lists no boards, then the board is not recognized by expansion or the monitor driver is not loaded. It can surely not show graphics on such a board then. Please check in the boot menu whether your board shows up. If so, also make sure that the monitor corresponding to your hardware is loaded.

If the board does not show up in the boot menu, then this is a hardware issue, not a software issue. If you see crashes, please run MuForce and report the "hits" to get them addressed (note well that I cannot read your mind - without having this output I cannot do anything).

Thank you.
Old 12 August 2021, 10:48   #12
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Is the PicassoMode crashing when trying to create new screenmodes an incompatibility issue with AmigaOS3.2 and/or 3.1.4 ROMs? I heard that there are differences between Picasso96 versions.

No, there is no such thing. P96 requires only 3.1, and will also run on a bare-bone 3.1 system. It is recommended to get 3.2 for some minor features, and P96 can then avoid certain hacks that are natively supported by 3.2 such as the hires cursor on ECS/OCS machines or system-friendly screen dragging of VGA mode.
Old 12 August 2021, 11:29   #13
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
If the "attach" function lists no boards, then the board is not recognized by expansion or the monitor driver is not loaded. It can surely not show graphics on such a board then. Please check in the boot menu whether your board shows up. If so, also make sure that the monitor corresponding to your hardware is loaded.

If the board does not show up in the boot menu, then this is a hardware issue, not a software issue. If you see crashes, please run MuForce and report the "hits" to get them addressed (note well that I cannot read your mind - without having this output I cannot do anything).

Thank you.
The board does show on the boot menu and is working. The card is in monitors/devs but how do I make it sure it is actually loaded?
Old 12 August 2021, 17:40   #14
nogginthenog
Amigan

Does it appear correctly in Tools/ShowConfig?
Old 12 August 2021, 19:34   #15
freakofnature

Has startup-sequence all required entries to load monitor files? Maybe there's some sort of "exclusion"?
Old 15 August 2021, 09:59   #16
protek
Amiga hobbyist

The card shows on showconfig.

Also I noticed that the system crashes if I try to drag any icon anywhere, so it’s not just Picassomode. What might be causing this?
Old 15 August 2021, 20:52   #17
PeterK

Quote:
Also I noticed that the system crashes if I try to drag any icon anywhere, so it’s not just Picassomode. What might be causing this?
Maybe it could be the new intuition.library of 3.2 that gets in conflict with other programs. I had a discussion with another user who had a similar problem and where his system freezed when he dragged icons around and LockSmith found a Semaphore deadlock. This did not happen with the older intution.library v45.13 of the 3.1.4.1 update. You could also try the old-intuition.library v40 to replace Libs:intuition.library. Edit the startup-sequence like this:
Code:
Version exec.library version 47 >NIL:
If Warn
  LoadModule  L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE
else                                                 ; <==== here
  LoadModule >NIL: Libs:intuition.library DOWNGRADE   ; <==== here
EndIf
SetPatch >NIL:

Last edited by PeterK; 16 August 2021 at 12:25.
Old 15 August 2021, 21:46   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The card shows on showconfig.

Have you tried your system on WinUAE?

I tried to install "Piccolo SD64 Zorro II, on OS3.2 "Clean" and had no problem with the icons, see screenshot.

Driver Video used "Picasso96_1.25" downloaded from Aminet.

While the Video Card "Piccolo SD64 Zorro III" on OS 3.2 on WinUAE on my system is not detected, I need to check if this happens with other OSes as well.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 November 2021 at 08:34.
Old 15 August 2021, 22:06   #19
Thomas Richter

Quote:
The board does show on the boot menu and is working. The card is in monitors/devs but how do I make it sure it is actually loaded?
For testing, you can just double-click the monitor icon and then run P96Mode. Are the tool types in the monitor icon correct? In particular, check the BOARDTYPE. Is it correct and does it match your graphics card?
Old 16 August 2021, 20:07   #20
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
For testing, you can just double-click the monitor icon and then run P96Mode. Are the tool types in the monitor icon correct? In particular, check the BOARDTYPE. Is it correct and does it match your graphics card?
From the monitor tooltype:
Boardtype=PiccoloSD64
Settingsfile=sys:devs/picasso96settings
(Borderblank=yes)
(Bigsprite=yes)
(Softsprite=yes)
Ignoremask=yes

Doubleclicking the monitor doesn’t seem to have any effect on how P96mode behaves.