English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 February 2023, 12:05   #1
Korban

Emulating An Amiga On A PC Emulator On An Amiga Emulator On a PC Emulator Recursively

For no reason other than "because" Ive got it in my head to see how many times I can emulate an Amiga on pc emulator emulating an Amiga, and so on, on my new-ish PC.

Hard drive/hard file size is the biggest concern however.
Is there a way to use directory based "harddrives" on pc-task or pcx?
Alternatively is mounting a fat formatted partition under AmigaOS my best option?
Given the recursive nature of the experiment the former would be less cumbersome, so Id prefer to go that route if possible.
It's been a while, but I seem to recall pc-task and pcx having pretty modest maximum sizes for hardfiles, hence the reason Ive not put those options into the equation.

Any suggestions or feedback about the best way to go about it all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01 February 2023, 12:56   #2
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
For no reason other than "because" Ive got it in my head to see how many times I can emulate an Amiga on pc emulator emulating an Amiga, and so on, on my new-ish PC.
Nice, while I can't be much help, I did do something a little similar.

While at Uni everyone was buying Mac's (it was graphic design)
I was already deciding to go down the 3D rendering route so upgraded my Amiga instead.

I did all my course work through Shapeshifter, and all my essays through Soft windows on the Mac, on the Amiga. Happy (complicated) days!
Old 07 February 2023, 03:53   #3
giantclam

Did something like this long time ago ~ vmware on linux host, win2000 guest in vm, winuae on that guest running Amiga wb3.1, frodo running macos8 in the amiga guest ...all worked, but pretty much crippled the machine in the process =) Newer hw and large ramstack would do better these days 8)
Old 07 February 2023, 11:44   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've had similar thoughts, except it would involve a more linear regression to previous systems and I'd call it the 'seven degrees of emulation'. Then pathetically fail to make seven distinct nodular leaps.

For example, you could emulate a C64 via WinUAE or FS-UAE. Then under your pseudo-C64, emulate the Commodore PET. I'm not sure where you go from there. Can the PET emulate anything else?

Another potential route would be to emulate a ZX Spectrum in a virtual C64 environment running under WinUAE/FS-UAE. Then what?

What I do know for sure is that it's a real pain to Google emulators that run on vintage hardware because the vast majority of resources cater towards emulating old computer systems via contemporary ones.

All this must have been debated a dozen times already?
Old 07 February 2023, 12:57   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

can't you run MAME amiga version from MAME on PC running an amiga VM ?
Old 07 February 2023, 14:40   #6
Korban

The idea is to see how many layers of amiga/pc/amiga/pc I can get.
Going lower spec systems, using VMs, running MacOS under AmigaOS is too "easy".

According to sysinfo I have roughly 11,000Mips of emulated 68k processing power to play with on my i9-13900kf system, so I should get a few layers running reasonably well.
PC-task and pcx both run under UAE, and UAE and Fellow run under them, so thats the path I want to take, but harddrive space for this sort of recursive set-up is the potential stumbling block.
Im thinking I'll most likely have to mount a fat formatted hardfile due to the storage space required.

Last edited by Korban; 07 February 2023 at 15:02.
Old 07 February 2023, 17:55   #7
Total Eclipse

I've not tried with an Amiga, but I did have Windows 10 runing a virtual XP machine running a PSP emulator running a ST emulator running an Atari 800 emulator.
Old 07 February 2023, 18:04   #8
rothers

You could go down in system power too, PC->Mac->Console->Amiga->ZX Spectrum->ZX81.

Then see if Monster Maze still works.