English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2013, 21:01   #1
Nemesis2K

Help with colours on CD32/SX1

Hello im not very clued in with whdload too much but so far the games I have got running seem to be with a limited colour palette.

For example here is the AGA version of Dreamweb running from my workbench

http://imgur.com/a/DnIu3

and this is how it should look (notice the lack of browns in mine)

http://imgur.com/Herjgrf

I have no idea whats wrong, this is happening with other games too. Like Super Star dust. I am connected to a crt with RGB which can play a500/a600 games fine with all colours.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 27 April 2013, 21:17   #2
DH
Global Moderator

Moved to an appropriate forum

Actually, come to think of it, this is probably not a whdload problem. It's more likely to be a hardware problem either the CD32 or CRT.

The first image is a photograph of the CRT screen the second image is obviously a screenshot from an emulator on a PC, not really a good comparison + both of those images appear to be the ECS version as in the AGA version there is a lot more colour depth and shading to the face than on your shot.

The AGA version http://hol.abime.net/432

Last edited by DH; 27 April 2013 at 21:58.
Old 27 April 2013, 22:13   #3
Nemesis2K

I tried the cd32 on another tv, an LCD one and it gives the same issue. I have tried both the RGB scart and the yellow composite and its the same on both.

The version i have loaded in my screens is the AGA version but its running on a limited colourdepth for some strange reason. all my aga games are doing this. the a500/a600 games run fine though.

I can provide more photos if needed.

Are there settings that enable AGA or anything in the workbench? (this is my first amiga in 18 years) i have forgotten most of how to use workbench.
Old 27 April 2013, 23:27   #4
Nemesis2K

Here are some videos, sorry i mumble when i talk, didnt realise lol

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: It isnt just AGA games, its just more noticeable on them. Affecting all games.

Last edited by Nemesis2K; 27 April 2013 at 23:51.
Old 28 April 2013, 12:40   #5
DH
Global Moderator

I think I'm getting the picture better here..

When you mention AGA you're talking about the CD32, and it's that machine which is causing you thethe problem. AGA could also refer to other Amiga machines too

So everything on the CD32 is less colorful than both the A500 and A600. Seems like there is probably a problem with the CD32. Are those monitors or TV's as it's not too clear for me as I'm using my phone atm.
Old 28 April 2013, 13:49   #6
Nemesis2K

lol yeah its a little confusing. Im running it on a CRT tv and also on an LCD tv. Problems present on both. Also tried using composite and RGB and the problems happen on both. I am in the process of buying another CD32. I just hope that it fixes the problem and its not a fault with the SX1 as thats a more expensive replacement :/

Any ideas to help me find out.

Edit: I could try burning a cd32 game (as i dont own any yet) and testing without the SX1 plugged in.

Last edited by Nemesis2K; 28 April 2013 at 13:58.
Old 28 April 2013, 14:12   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Would be a good idea to try the cd32 on its own, at least then you'll hopefully home in on what may have a problem.

Also, have you got a floppy drive attached, because you could also write the aga adf back to a floppy and try that too, that way you can also double test the SX1 with other media too. Anyway, for now try the cd as it's probaly the easiest way to go, and the quickest.

When I get on properly I'll talk on irc to see if anyone has any ideas, but you've definitely come to the right place to sort your problem out. Bare with me for a few hours, unless someone else manages to beat me to it, as they always do
Old 28 April 2013, 14:46   #8
Nemesis2K

Seems to be an issue with the cd32 (thankfully). I have a few videos uploaded showing the same problem in the boot menu. Its this weird lack of brown greenish sort of hue and missing reds. Odd looking issue. Really bad when the image fades in and out as all the colours change. Hard to capture that on a phone though.

I read things like the voltage for amiga putting out video to tvs is a little too high. Should this be an issue on composite and RGB with both my CRT and LCD?

Here are the reference videos I made on the boot menu.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Really appreciate the help

Last edited by Nemesis2K; 28 April 2013 at 14:47. Reason: typo
Old 28 April 2013, 17:10   #9
DH
Global Moderator

Might be worth checking for bent pins as suggested here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...color+problems

Difficult as the blues appear to be green and red is black, but the union Jack flag (UK) appears to be correct, that is some weird effect going on there. It's obviously partial color loss from the CD32, but I really don't know tbh. There's better tech savy guys on her who would probably tell you what or why this is happening.
Old 28 April 2013, 18:15   #10
Nemesis2K

Well it's not any pins on the scart as the same issue happens with the yellow composite lead. Stumped.
Old 28 April 2013, 21:26   #11
Nemesis2K

Bought another cd32 on eBay. Ill keep you updated when it arrives.
Old 28 April 2013, 21:33   #12
DH
Global Moderator

No problem, hope everything goes fine and this CD32, when it arrive, performs as it should
Old 11 May 2013, 00:57   #13
Nemesis2K

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I did say I would let you know how it went with the replacement.

So it went terrible to begin with, the first replacement I got on eBay had a faulty expansion connector so the SX1 wouldn't even boot. Although today I received my third cd32 in about as many weeks.

This one came from Analogic Computers. Works a dream and is in great shape to boot. So a mod can lock this topic if they feel the need. I am over the moon with it.

Now to upload TONS of captured footage to youtube
Old 11 May 2013, 01:17   #14
Zak
Zap´em

I have a CD32, I bought it in used (and modified) condition many years ago. When I first got it, I also faced a video problem. The solution was very simple. I opened the case, found no apparent problem (well, the UHF modulator was missing, but that shouldn´t affect the rest), and when I reassembled it, it worked just fine, obviously there had been some problem with the cable for the CD-drive not fitting properly and that´s it. Don´t know if that is applicable to your problem, but I thought I would post it anyway.