English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 10 September 2006, 04:59   #1
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

WHD booting problems

hi everyone,

wasnt sure if i should post this here, or under "problems: other" - so feel free to move this if wanted.

my problem is this (and is also a lengthy one to explain, and a somewhat unusual one at that - please bare with me)...

i have been helping out beta-testing pspuae a lot. the current version allows for much more amiga memory that previously, so i have been using some rather cheeky "work arounds" to improve its usage.

PSPuae at the moment does not support harddrives at all.... so, being the natual amiga HD user i am, and a natual hater of ADF files (partularty given their access speed on pspuae), i realised that it would be possible to copy the contents of a WHDLoad installed game from HD, onto ADF, which could then be loaded into RAM: (with LHA files, and/or split, then joined, Disk images) and booted from there.

so far, i've had moderate success. Games such as Sensi Golf, Rainbow Islands, Tower Assault and a few others, are greatly improved by pre-loading into memory... massively reducing in-game loading times. they obviously take much longer to load on the first occasion, but with PSPuae's save-state feature, it is possible to avoid this after the first use.

anyway, although i have had some success with a few installs, i have not had it with all. the ADF files i create for this are all tested on winuae... and it is even in this testing i am having trouble.

i use a "boot disk" for the running of this task, which is effectivly a copy of workbench 3.0, minus a few utilities, and with WHDload added to C: - this disk does a normal startup, but just before loading workbench, runs a script on disk " 1: " called "runme". this script will copy games from any needed disks into ram: and then whdload start a game.

some of the games i have attempted to do this with however, have failed for an unknown reason. Even though i am using the same winUAE setup that i use for my normal HD setup, some games (cybernoid etc) complain of "corrupt game files" whilst others (eg supremacy) complain of "illiegal instruction".... these installs run fine from my normal HD boot, but not from the standard WB loading from disk. (even when attempting to run direct from HD instad of Ram

my query is basically "what is my normal wb startup from HD (which is very basic it must be said) doing that my wb startup from ADF isnt, that makes these game work?" - i understand it's diffucult to find an answer without listing everything my HD does on boot-up and "crossing stuff of the list" - but i thought someone may already know why this is happening.

with the WHDLoad errors being seemingly different, it seemed quite a curious problem. it wouldnt bother me so if i didnt think the same problems might occur once PSPuae *does* have HD support (at which time i would look to creating booting HDFs for every game i wanted) -
so if anyone has any ideas (esp. "try making sure you run X first") they would be appriciated.
Old 10 September 2006, 13:31   #2
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Maybe some of them are XPK crunched ? In this case WHDLoad needs the xpkmaster.library and the used sub library.
Old 10 September 2006, 13:42   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Although not relevant in this case, some games will also need a kickstart image in devs:kickstarts.
Old 10 September 2006, 13:51   #4
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
In addition, there's a bug in WHDLoad 16.6 with not using the PRELOAD argument or if not all files could be preloaded. In the beta section is a 16.7 version available.
Old 10 September 2006, 16:55   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i am aware of the need for kickstarts with some games (syndicate i found this with) - but thankfully whdload always tells you that that is the problem.

thanks for the tips though rgen, the preload option fixed cybernoid 1 (but not 2) and a different version of whdload (older) but not the beta fixed cybernoid 2.

there are others, but if theses solutions dont fix them as well, i'll probably mention them here (i am unaware of any of my installs being compressed, but that is easily checked)

it would seem it doesnt always pay to update whdload!