English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 October 2021, 14:31   #21
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiac64 View Post
connect the cd-rom
I have - I tried with and without it connected.
Old 05 October 2021, 19:14   #22
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Nope, will not boot without CD-ROM if JP15 is closed..
Check reset switch in the CD-ROM, it gets triggered when CD is inserted..
Old 05 October 2021, 20:00   #23
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Nope, will not boot without CD-ROM if JP15 is closed..
Check reset switch in the CD-ROM, it gets triggered when CD is inserted..
The switch continuity is OK - I checked it with a multimeter. However, I fail to understand why this disc presence switch should stop the CDTV from booting.

The CDTV should be able to boot the CDTV boot screen without a CD/caddy inserted.My one flashes a purple colour and then stays on a black/blank screen. It boots OK to the Kickstart screen when JP15 is not jumpered.
Old 05 October 2021, 20:13   #24
solarmon

Would/could an uncapped CDROM stop the CDTV from booting to the boot screen? Or would it just cause it to not be able read a disc properly?

I would like to determine whether it is not booting because of a problem with the CDROM or some issue on the CDTV motherboard.

If anybody in the UK could lend my a known working CDROM unit to test against, that would be great, but unlikely! Or if they could test my U32 controller chip to rule that out.
Old 01 November 2021, 18:10   #25
brufnus

I have a non-functional CD-ROM drive in my CDTV (probably bad caps or something; it reacts to a CD insert but doesn't spin).
However, the CDTV boots fine from both floppy and SCSI hard drive (A2091 controller). So even a malfuntioning CD-ROM drive shouldn't cause that behaviour.... good luck with the troubleshooting!
Old 01 November 2021, 18:39   #26
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufnus View Post
I have a non-functional CD-ROM drive in my CDTV (probably bad caps or something; it reacts to a CD insert but doesn't spin).
However, the CDTV boots fine from both floppy and SCSI hard drive (A2091 controller). So even a malfuntioning CD-ROM drive shouldn't cause that behaviour.... good luck with the troubleshooting!
What is your JP15 setting - jumpered or unjumpered?

On mine, it works fine when JP15 is unjumpered - i.e. when in A500 mode - even with the CDROM connected. But with JP15 jumpered, in CDTV mode, it does not boot.

I want to establish whether it is an issue with the CDROM drive, or something else that is stopping it from booting when in CDTV mode.
Old 01 November 2021, 20:17   #27
brufnus

I have it jumpered. No probs with the 68K CPU, although I have to remove it with my new PiStorm (hopefully the V2.35 ROM's will solve that problem).

With the 68K CPU, 8 MB on the diag port and a SCSI card, however, the only difference is that I can't use the faulty CDROM drive. Everything else works fine in it's std. config, jumpered and all.

By the way... does any of you know what the last - free - leg on J15 is for? I've never really figured out what the purpose of the 3rd leg is for....

Last edited by brufnus; 01 November 2021 at 21:45.
Old 01 November 2021, 20:27   #28
brufnus

Do you have a SCSI card installed in the rear slot? Floppy drive connected and okay? If it can't boot off a floppy, it will try the SCSI controller, but with no HDD attached, it will probably show the black screen (I COULD verify that behaviour, once I return from work tonight).
Perhaps that could give a clue.

Last edited by brufnus; 01 November 2021 at 21:43.
Old 01 November 2021, 21:59   #29
solarmon

It works in A500 mode (JP15 not jumpered) perfectly fine - and can load floppy disks off the external floppy drive. So maybe my CDROM is OK and something else is stopping it from booting (in CDTV mode - JP15 jumpered). I would like somebody else to test my CDROM drive for me.

I haven't got a SCSI card installed, so I can't test that.

The two outer pins of JP15 are common - so it doesn't matter whether your jumper 1-2 or 2-3.
Old 01 November 2021, 23:49   #30
brufnus

So... now I've had some time to think things over since my last post. I'm far from a CDTV/Amiga expert, but I'll do what I can to help you with this issue.

Now, except for my SCSI adapter, 8 MB RAM and a KS3.2, our CDTV's are pretty much the same.

With J15 installed, it should show a red, rotating CDTV logo if no floppy is detected, otherwise the proper colored logo. If, on the other hand, J15 is removed, it should show the standard kickstart boot menu with diskette image, etc.

The only time I get a black screen is if I have no other bootable media than a hard drive; then it will stay black until WB has loaded (hence my question about a SCSI adapter).

Can you access the early startup menu by holding down both mouse buttons immediately after powering on? If not, I would think there's either a fault with the PSU as suggested (despite the correct voltages), or a fault with the motherboard. Perhaps it could also be caused by a faulty CD-ROM drive cable; I don't know how it would behave if it can't communicate properly with the drive as such. My own drive doesn't spin, as mentioned, but it's definitely recognized.

Hopefully we'll be able to pinpoint this error somehow.
Old 02 November 2021, 00:07   #31
brufnus

Oh, and... the combination of the ordinary kickstart and extended ROM's is pretty complicated, I think. The extended ROM's takes over the boot sequence, but even though J15 is removed, it doesn't behave exactly like an A500, at least that's my experience.

For example, it doesn't boot off my hard drive without the jumper, although KS3.1 and 3.2 do have the scsi.device themselves. If so, I can only boot from floppy at the moment (and I've had quite a few headaches trying to get a TF534 working with it, so now I'll be using a PiStorm instead - still can't access my hard drives, but I can boot from a hdf image on an sd card).
The soon-to-come 2.35 hopefully solves this issue, along with other 2.7/2.30 bugs.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the J15 pins. I just tried both positions, and I can confirm that - it behaves the same in either position.
Old 02 November 2021, 00:30   #32
brufnus

Or, maybe the extended ROM sockets are faulty?
Old 02 November 2021, 13:43   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Perhaps try a RAM test program? Perhaps the extended CDTV ROM requires the full 1MB CHIP RAM to boot whereas KS1.3 (or KS3.1) might only need 512KB to boot.

I still think this is down to a faulty CD-ROM drive.
Old 02 November 2021, 13:48   #34
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufnus View Post
now I'll be using a PiStorm instead - still can't access my hard drives, but I can boot from a hdf image on an sd card
CDTV + PiStorm (today) = No SCSI and No CD-ROM

This is because bus arbitration is not implemented in PiStorm CPLD yet. (And some other things)

I think the Amiga TF534 firmware also has no bus arbitration too? (I might be wrong) There is a special Atari TF534 firmware which must have bus arbitration (but I don't think it works with an Amiga).

It was implemented in the later TF536 because that was co-developed for Atari ST which needs bus arbitration.
Old 02 November 2021, 17:06   #35
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Perhaps try a RAM test program? Perhaps the extended CDTV ROM requires the full 1MB CHIP RAM to boot whereas KS1.3 (or KS3.1) might only need 512KB to boot.

In A500 mode (JP15 unjumpered) everything works fine. All tests with Amiga Test Kit shows that everything all the resources are healthy, including memory.
Old 02 November 2021, 20:55   #36
brufnus

Quote:

You may be right, but in that case I would think it's because it's simply invisible to the controller. Mine doesn't work, either (not spinning, but the LED turns on briefly when a CD is inserted).
So it's obviously not caused by any fault with the CD-ROM drive, but probably - if it is - a very specific one.

P.S. I agree with the amount of RAM. I'm not sure 512 KB would be enough since it has to load such things as cdtv.device, bookmark stuff, etc, too.
Old 02 November 2021, 21:04   #37
brufnus

Quote:
CDTV + PiStorm (today) = No SCSI and No CD-ROM

This is because bus arbitration is not implemented in PiStorm CPLD yet. (And some other things)

I think the Amiga TF534 firmware also has no bus arbitration too? (I might be wrong) There is a special Atari TF534 firmware which must have bus arbitration (but I don't think it works with an Amiga).

It was implemented in the later TF536 because that was co-developed for Atari ST which needs bus arbitration.
Indeed; in fact I've just corresponded with Mijo about ext. ROM 2.35 per mail, and he says the same as you. However, I hope this boils down to the CPLD firmware, not the hardware itself... if so, we may find ourselves screwed in this aspect. c".) (but it sounds to me that it is in fact a matter of a firmware version supporting it).

As a matter of fact, I've just tried upgrading with a TF534 as well, no joy at all with that one however, even if I downgraded to kickstart 3.1, and removed J15 as well as U34/U35. Nothing worked... so I turned to the PiStorm instead; at least I have that working now, albeit still with the need to remove J15 and no SCSI drives available.

So now I've prepared an image on my sd card, so that I have my stuff available again, including my CDPD copies, OS 3.2 install CD, etc. which I also copied to my hard drive.
I found myself a bit overgeared realizing I could suddenly use my 36 and 73 GB Ultra Wide SCA drives with my CDTV! :-D hehe
Old 24 December 2021, 22:40   #38
Timtheloon

Hi Solarman

I remember you asking on Facebook if you could test your CDTV with someone else's CDTV CD-ROM drive. I was wondering if you managed to test this?

for information mine gives a black screen when the drive is not connected was wondering if you have tested the cable between the mobo and the drive