English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 December 2021, 19:03   #1
Vypr

I think I may have killed my ReAmiga £000

I had built this a while ago and got it working properly, so put it aside for other projects.
Recently I powered it on and found that it would hang at a yellow screen, the Power LEd would flash several times then reboot itself. After a bit of investigating I found that the problem was caused if a SIMM was present in Bank 0. Taking hte SIMM out allowed the machine to boot to a kickstart screen. I ruled the SIMM out as the problem, putting it in Bank 1 allowed the system to boot fine (There are two 4Mb SIMMs, put any of hte SIMMs in Bank 0 - no boot, put either in bank 1, system is fine)
I suspected a bad solder joint on the SIMM socket, I had chased these aroudn the board while building it and while I wasn;t using hte machine it sat on the floor on it's side and it did occasionally fall over. I suspected during one of these falls a solder joint had cracked.
I took the board out and resodlered all the pins on the SIMM in Bank 0.
Unfortunately this seems to have made the problem worse. Now the machine will not boot at all. The power LED remains dim and just a black screen.
I;ve tested the voltages (+VID, +5V, -5V, +12V and -12V) They are all present.
Tested all the reset lines with a logic proble ( _FAIL, _RESET, _KBRST, _CPURST, _FPURST, _HLT and _BERR) They all act normally. Start off Low and go High.
_ROMEN stays high and ever goes Low.
I've popped a working A3630 in just in case the CPU died but stil no dice. Not sure where to look next.
Old 01 December 2021, 23:21   #2
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
I had built this a while ago and got it working properly, so put it aside for other projects.
Recently I powered it on and found that it would hang at a yellow screen, the Power LEd would flash several times then reboot itself. After a bit of investigating I found that the problem was caused if a SIMM was present in Bank 0. Taking hte SIMM out allowed the machine to boot to a kickstart screen. I ruled the SIMM out as the problem, putting it in Bank 1 allowed the system to boot fine (There are two 4Mb SIMMs, put any of hte SIMMs in Bank 0 - no boot, put either in bank 1, system is fine)
I suspected a bad solder joint on the SIMM socket, I had chased these aroudn the board while building it and while I wasn;t using hte machine it sat on the floor on it's side and it did occasionally fall over. I suspected during one of these falls a solder joint had cracked.
I took the board out and resodlered all the pins on the SIMM in Bank 0.
Unfortunately this seems to have made the problem worse. Now the machine will not boot at all. The power LED remains dim and just a black screen.
I;ve tested the voltages (+VID, +5V, -5V, +12V and -12V) They are all present.
Tested all the reset lines with a logic proble ( _FAIL, _RESET, _KBRST, _CPURST, _FPURST, _HLT and _BERR) They all act normally. Start off Low and go High.
_ROMEN stays high and ever goes Low.
I've popped a working A3630 in just in case the CPU died but stil no dice. Not sure where to look next.
First you need to figure out the exact cause. Since you said you had it booting from the other SIMM slot, I would remove the SIMM 0 slot completely, the actual connector.. Clean out the board from any and all solder too.

Then boot and see if the system comes back.. If it does, you know the problem is either the connector that holds the SIMM itself, the SIMM not seating correctly in that connector OR something with the mainboard that is not making correct contact... if it is a layered board, that could be an issue as well which would not be repairable of course. But that is rare.
Old 02 December 2021, 00:03   #3
Vypr

Well after several hours scratching my head it appears to be working again.
I removed all the PLCC's and gave the contacts a clean and resolvers some dodgy looking soldering and tried again but the problem just got worse. All the reset lines were going Low-high-low.
Took me an hour to realise I had inserted Ramsey 90 degrees from where it should have been. Reseated it in the correct orientation and was back to where I started.
For shits and giggles I put the SIMM back in bank 0 and DiagROM booted!.
Currently have both SIMMs inserted and detected OK. Just running a full memtest before putting the Kickstar ROMs vack in
Old 02 December 2021, 01:52   #4
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
Well after several hours scratching my head it appears to be working again.
I removed all the PLCC's and gave the contacts a clean and resolvers some dodgy looking soldering and tried again but the problem just got worse. All the reset lines were going Low-high-low.
Took me an hour to realise I had inserted Ramsey 90 degrees from where it should have been. Reseated it in the correct orientation and was back to where I started.
For shits and giggles I put the SIMM back in bank 0 and DiagROM booted!.
Currently have both SIMMs inserted and detected OK. Just running a full memtest before putting the Kickstar ROMs vack in
Good to hear you figured it out. I did that with a kickstart once.. spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why a machine would not boot not realizing I had put it in backward... especially since I take a lot of patience putting chips back in normally.