English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 22 May 2022, 17:11   #21
vulture

Hey pipper,

Thank you for this "custom" version of ScummVM for Lands of Lore

I have an issue though; I've added the English DOS CD version and this is picked up fine. However, when starting the game I get the following error:

I've used these exact files with multiple versions of ScummVM in the past so I know that they are good...

I took a look in "DH0:ScummVM\games\Lands of Lore" and "DH0:ScummVM\games\Lands of Lore\ENG" but I don't see a file called "LOLINTRO.TIM":

Also, the LoL ScummVM related page mentions nothing about the "LOLINTRO.TIM": https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Lands_of_Lore

Any ideas?
Old 22 May 2022, 20:04   #22
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Hey pipper,

Thank you for this "custom" version of ScummVM for Lands of Lore

I have an issue though; I've added the English DOS CD version and this is picked up fine. However, when starting the game I get the following error:

I've used these exact files with multiple versions of ScummVM in the past so I know that they are good...

I took a look in "DH0:ScummVM\games\Lands of Lore" and "DH0:ScummVM\games\Lands of Lore\ENG" but I don't see a file called "LOLINTRO.TIM":

Also, the LoL ScummVM related page mentions nothing about the "LOLINTRO.TIM": https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Lands_of_Lore

Any ideas?
Hey pipper,

Looked into this further. Used a tool to look in some of the .PAK files for Lands of Lore.

"LOLINTRO.TIM" is in "STARTUP.PAK" under the language directories:

Does your version of ScummVM need some unarchiver installed in order to be able to read .PAK files?
Old 22 May 2022, 20:12   #23
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Hey pipper,

Looked into this further. Used a tool to look in some of the .PAK files for Lands of Lore.

"LOLINTRO.TIM" is in "STARTUP.PAK" under the language directories:

Does your version of ScummVM need some unarchiver installed in order to be able to read .PAK files?
Hey pipper,

Ok, so moved everything to my ClassicWB .HDF and now all is working.

So the question is, which unarchiver do I need to install on my standalone Lands of Lore .HDF so that your custom version of ScummVM can read .PAK files?
Old 23 May 2022, 07:48   #24
pipper

I am not aware of any external I archiver tool that would be needed. Maybe it’s some file system level issue.
Did the failed startup attempt leave any warning.log or error.log files behind that could be helpful.
This is the version of ScummVM I’m sort of maintaining: https://github.com/mheyer32/scummvm-amigaos3
The commit enabling the keypad is not uploaded yet.
I encourage People to try build it, toy with it and contribute. It’s not hard with Bebbo’s GCC toolchain.
Old 23 May 2022, 13:16   #25
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
I am not aware of any external I archiver tool that would be needed. Maybe it’s some file system level issue.
Did the failed startup attempt leave any warning.log or error.log files behind that could be helpful.
This is the version of ScummVM I’m sort of maintaining: https://github.com/mheyer32/scummvm-amigaos3
The commit enabling the keypad is not uploaded yet.
I encourage People to try build it, toy with it and contribute. It’s not hard with Bebbo’s GCC toolchain.
Hi pipper,

To answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper
Maybe it’s some file system level issue.
In what way do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper
Yes, the "error.log" shows exactly what I posted already in the screenshot in post #23 i.e. ERROR: Read error while parsing file 'LOLINTRO.TIM'!

So here's the situation.

... I have the original CD-ROM version of LoL.
... All required files listed on the following ScummVM webpage are there: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Lands_of_Lore
... On my LoL standalone .HDF a standard Workbench 3.1 install on FFS file system has been completed, then AHI, BlazeWCP, camd.library, midi.libary, then ScummVM.
... I've used these exact same LoL files with at least 6 different versions of NovaCoder's ScummVM port without this issue on this LoL standalone .HDF.
... If I then move your ScummVM version and exact same LoL game files from the LoL standalone .HDF --> my ClassicWB Lite 3.1 .HDF, then all works fine.
... Tried using SnoopDos to see where it's failing / what unarchiver is required, but nothing is shown as failed / logged / missing.
... Thought that installing "xadmaster" would resolve; as it mention support for PAK files. Installed this but no difference.

Last edited by vulture; 23 May 2022 at 14:27.
Old 24 May 2022, 14:38   #26
vulture

Hi pipper,

You did say it was maybe a file system level issue. Played around last night, setup an PFSAIO3 partition, copied the <gamefiles> there and now all works fine.

So it seems with your version of ScummVM and LoL; it needs to be on a PFSAIO3 partition.

On all of NovaCoder's ScummVM ports, FFS is fine when running this game.

Anyway, very happy now and runs beautifully with MIDI for music also. Many thanks ;-)
Old 30 May 2022, 11:16   #27
vulture

Heya guys,

DamienD has just finished creating a new .HDF from pipper's "custom" ScummVM v2.2.0 AGA / RTG port that only support the game "Lands of Lore".

Now this is how the game is meant to be played

This version is awesome:

1) Latest version of ScummVM.
2) No corrupt graphics.
3) Perfect music (via MIDI / CAMD), SFX and speech.
4) Numerical keypad support for movement, along with the standard mouse control.

For emulator users, grab the archive from the TURRAN FTP "DamienD's WinUAE Collection/Interim Updates & Fixes" folder and just extract into "C:\WinUAE".
Old 31 May 2022, 00:22   #28
Nobby_UK

Music is nice --- initially too loud

Had to move the screen up, turn of Scan Lines and the On-Screen LED's
Old 11 June 2022, 22:16   #29
Solo Kazuki

At least I had time to check this and I must admit it works great. But is possibility to autorun Lands of Lore without gui, etc just running scummvm?
Old 12 June 2022, 09:36   #30
pipper

I’d like to point out that the sole reason for compiling it with only LoL supported is nothing other than trying to keep the executable small - assuming that was all that people wanted in this thread.
If needed I can compile it with any number of engines.
Also, if you’re low on memory, check the stack size in the ScummVM icon information. It’s currently set to 1MB , which is ridiculous but helps excluding “ran out of stack” when debugging issues. One can probably run ScummVM with 100kb of stack…
Old 12 June 2022, 12:08   #31
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
I’d like to point out that the sole reason for compiling it with only LoL supported is nothing other than trying to keep the executable small - assuming that was all that people wanted in this thread.
If needed I can compile it with any number of engines.
Also, if you’re low on memory, check the stack size in the ScummVM icon information. It’s currently set to 1MB , which is ridiculous but helps excluding “ran out of stack” when debugging issues. One can probably run ScummVM with 100kb of stack…
can you make a 68030 AGA build ?
Old 12 June 2022, 12:17   #32
Solo Kazuki

Ok, actually If You plan do another compilation, could You add screen mode and sound quality settings? Game is using PAL where NTSC should be better and sound is hissy (11kbps?).

And there is bug in map. There is mess instead of description for "nyche".

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 12 June 2022 at 12:36.
Old 14 June 2022, 06:39   #33
pipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
can you make a 68030 AGA build ?

This build is compiled already with -m68020-60 -mtune 68030
It already supports AGA. But you should install BlazeWCP to get any good performance. What makes you think otherwise?
Old 14 June 2022, 07:57   #34
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
It already supports AGA. But you should install BlazeWCP to get any good performance. What makes you think otherwise?
The screen remains black on my A1230. And i have BlazeWCP activated.

PS : i use the french version of Lands of Lore, floppy version.
Old 14 June 2022, 08:06   #35
pipper

Quote:

Try setting the “FORCE_AGA” tooltype
Old 14 June 2022, 10:34   #36
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Try setting the “FORCE_AGA” tooltype
I did it already, screen remains black :/
Old 14 June 2022, 13:23   #37
Gzegzolka

Awesome game, got it from GOG but have no time to try it till now. I wonder are bugs I have related to me overusing save states? Sometomes on some maps game crash to workbench with error message when I try to see map, few save states later it works fine. Sometimes after closing map screen my hud is gliched, I see two portraits of same character, no lamp and no map on Hud, and inventory items disappear but still can be drag and drop like game lose their icons.
Old 14 June 2022, 23:09   #38
pipper

Lands of Lore - ScummVM AGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I did it already, screen remains black :/

Can you elaborate a bit more about your particular setup? Which Amiga, which OS, do error.log or warning.log reveal anything?

I believe the way CAMD Midi is implemented, it does not tolerate camd.library missing. Download and install the library from http://Aminet.net/package/mus/midi/camd

Last edited by pipper; 14 June 2022 at 23:16.
Old 14 June 2022, 23:20   #39
pipper

Yes, without CAMD.library this is what happens.
Old 15 June 2022, 12:56   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

ok i don't have CAMD.Library. So let's try that (I'm under amigaOS 3.5).