English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 November 2022, 16:11   #1
rfancella

A2000 GVP Large HDD KS 3.2.1

Hello All!
I have been fighting with this for a while now. I have an Amiga 2000 with a GVP G-Force 030 SCSI accelerator with a Toaster in it. I am trying to partition a 16 SD card in the SCSI2SD v5.1 card. I can partition a 4gb DH0: but no matter what I do, it will not see any partitions after that no matter the size. Using HDToolbox off the OS 3.2 HD Setup disk, I changed the device to gvpscsi.device. Everything I found online has to do with partitioning using IDE or PFS3 with a special scsi.device, but cannot find anything using the gvpscsi.device or a workaround.
How can I setup this 16 gb card with two partitions? I would even be happy with 3!

Thank you,
Ron
Old 23 November 2022, 16:55   #2
Jope
-

Add PFS3aio from Aminet to your RDB and configure your partitions to use it. It will attempt to use DirectSCSI for the partitions over 4GB. Dostype 0x50465303.

Do you have the latest firmware in the G-Force? http://babel.de/amiga.html#gvp

Also check FAQs/GVP-FAQ.readme on your 3.2 CD just in case.

Last edited by Jope; 23 November 2022 at 17:03.
Old 23 November 2022, 17:23   #3
thomas

Or just enable the Direct SCSI checkbox in HDToolbox.
Old 23 November 2022, 23:31   #4
thebajaguy

Set the SCSI2SD media up into 2 slices - SCSI ID 0 and SCSI ID 1 - each ~8GB - from your PC, one connected to the mini USB port on SCSI2SD, program with the utility that comes from the support website. Save settings. Move to the Amiga.

HDToolBox from 3.2.x, modify the tooltype for the driver to gvpscsi.device, Start HD ToolBox

Read the media in on SCSI ID 0, then Partition. Set the SCSI direct flag for each partition, and also go into advanced for each partition and modify the block size for 4096 bytes. You will use less memory, and the boot time validation will be shorter. Set MaxTransfer to 0xFFFFFFFE and Mask to 0x7FFFFFFF. The defaults are conservative for C= IDE partitioning, and not a match for the GVP driver which support the full settings.
Be sure to tab out of each box or HDToolbox has a habit of not saving the edited values.

Ok your way out and save to the media. Repeat for the second SCSI ID (#1)

I recommend making 2 partitions on the first (ID 0) disk, one about 512M-1G for boot, and the rest for data.

Much of this is in the FAQ on the OS 3.2 media. (I wrote it.)

Note: The ROM on the G-Force boards does not need to be updated. There were no updates for any G-Force SCSI/media issues, only product support additions, and very minor corner case situations where they added support for a gvpscsictrl tool option.
Old 24 November 2022, 02:01   #5
QuikSanz

@thebajaguy,

This works fine with PFS3?
Old 24 November 2022, 04:05   #6
thebajaguy

It should work if it is a version which supports SCSI_Direct (like the A2091).

Via HDToolBox, I believe you would update (add to) the boot block with the PFS3 filesystem image, and to specify the proper DosType value on the partition(s) you want it active on. Save changes, reboot, and you should be able to format the partition via the PFS3 method of formatting.
Old 29 November 2022, 20:16   #7
rfancella

Wow! This was the magic bullet! Worked perfectly! I setup the two devices and two partitions on the first and one big one on the second. Formatted the partitions (all three). Then hooked up the original SCSI HDD and copied all the contents from the OG HDD to the first partition. Then installed OS 3.2.1 over the top and put anything missing from the Startup Sequence and it works like a champ!!!
Thank you so much!

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebajaguy View Post
Set the SCSI2SD media up into 2 slices - SCSI ID 0 and SCSI ID 1 - each ~8GB - from your PC, one connected to the mini USB port on SCSI2SD, program with the utility that comes from the support website. Save settings. Move to the Amiga.

HDToolBox from 3.2.x, modify the tooltype for the driver to gvpscsi.device, Start HD ToolBox

Read the media in on SCSI ID 0, then Partition. Set the SCSI direct flag for each partition, and also go into advanced for each partition and modify the block size for 4096 bytes. You will use less memory, and the boot time validation will be shorter. Set MaxTransfer to 0xFFFFFFFE and Mask to 0x7FFFFFFF. The defaults are conservative for C= IDE partitioning, and not a match for the GVP driver which support the full settings.
Be sure to tab out of each box or HDToolbox has a habit of not saving the edited values.

Ok your way out and save to the media. Repeat for the second SCSI ID (#1)

I recommend making 2 partitions on the first (ID 0) disk, one about 512M-1G for boot, and the rest for data.

Much of this is in the FAQ on the OS 3.2 media. (I wrote it.)

Note: The ROM on the G-Force boards does not need to be updated. There were no updates for any G-Force SCSI/media issues, only product support additions, and very minor corner case situations where they added support for a gvpscsictrl tool option.