English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 February 2021, 19:00   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Even when you are not moderator, still workin'...
Even though I'm not a GMod anymore; I still care about EAB

...and where are the GMods? They are seldom here unfortunately
Old 16 February 2021, 19:27   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Sorry to downplay your position... global GM. As for GM/mods, they are here, somewhere... monitoring... like always...

Back to topic - Is there installation instruction for PiMiga 1.5?

ps. My guess is that you did not care to look into Devs/Kickstart folder on system drive.

Last edited by Anubis; 16 February 2021 at 19:34.
Old 16 February 2021, 19:40   #23
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Isn`t he using another version ? I know there`s no roms included in Pimiga 1.5
Yes the YouTube video released by author also has a note in comment to say no ROMs are included. I suspect someone has manipulated the torrent to include it.

For those that have ROMs it shouldn't matter as you can just transfer them. Simplest way is using the Cloanto Amiga Forever Essentials (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ver.essentials) which is only £1.79!
Old 16 February 2021, 19:46   #24
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I think that bigger problem are all NES and GameBoy roms that are also included.
Old 16 February 2021, 19:52   #25
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I think that bigger problem are all NES and GameBoy roms that are also included.
In this PiAmiga!?... how does one use that unless there is an emulator also in the package?
Old 16 February 2021, 20:07   #26
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
There are emulators in the package.
Old 16 February 2021, 20:22   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
ps. My guess is that you did not care to look into Devs/Kickstart folder on system drive.
Nope... but I did see all the WHDLoad slaves / installs so there would have to be KS ROMs for these also under "Devs/Kickstarts".
Old 16 February 2021, 20:26   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

It is quite sad to see users pirating 3.1.4 and then later complaining why there are no commercial applications being made, and why aren't developers being paid.

This is why.
Old 16 February 2021, 20:32   #29
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I was about to ask what that has to do with this collection, but then when you check version, you'll get 45.194 *(3.1.4). At least rom is not there.
Old 16 February 2021, 20:49   #30
falken
Amiga Lover

Can someone close this thread?
Old 16 February 2021, 20:50   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken View Post
Can someone close this thread?
Only a Global Moderator can do that I'm afraid...

You've removed the links from the 1st post, which is all you can do

...so really you'll have to wait until one shows up eventually, reads this thread and then closes.

Last edited by DamienD; 16 February 2021 at 20:58.
Old 14 November 2021, 01:16   #32
guybrush

Any chance to see the package back without the roms? Would be nice to run this on WinUAE, for the ones that does not have a Pi

On a side note, most of the Amiga software is pirated and has been among the reasons why the platform sank pretty hard; so I find quite an oxymoron to complain about people pirating Amiga current software and OS. Or maybe was OK to pirate Amiga stuff when others make it, but when you start to sell it is not OK anymore?
Old 14 November 2021, 07:00   #33
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

It was never okay to pirate the software when it was current, nor to pirate current Amiga software today. Just because a lot of people did it back in the day doesn't make it fine, nor is it oxymoronic for Amiga devs to complain about it.
Old 14 November 2021, 07:13   #34
lesta_smsc

Imagine doing an entire years worth of work and being told you get paid nothing for the effort. This is how developers must have felt particularly if you read the messages they left for hackers.

From discussions with hackers in past, they did it for the challenge and proof of concept rather than to pirate the software and many groups also left messages to buy the originals.
Old 15 November 2021, 05:23   #35
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
It was never okay to pirate the software when it was current, nor to pirate current Amiga software today. Just because a lot of people did it back in the day doesn't make it fine, nor is it oxymoronic for Amiga devs to complain about it.

The fact you didn't, was not enough to save the Amiga. The party convention existed for 2 things mostly: show demos and copy games. It was almost in the Amiga culture to have an underground market where games were copied. Heck, even today people sell on ebay SD cards full of games and software for the Amiga, and they can walk away with it because it is considered "abandonware" (except the roms; those are under Cloanto copyright).

And it was not just the Amiga... Spectrum and C64 were akin in many ways, to the same passion for copying software.
Old 15 November 2021, 05:28   #36
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Imagine doing an entire years worth of work and being told you get paid nothing for the effort. This is how developers must have felt particularly if you read the messages they left for hackers.

From discussions with hackers in past, they did it for the challenge and proof of concept rather than to pirate the software and many groups also left messages to buy the originals.

If you do a year worth of work on an Amiga, with the intention to make money; I am sorry to say but it is not a very smart decision. If you do it for passion, you do not ask for money but for donations... Which is the model I support.

Name your price; otherwise is free. The issue is that the weekend coder think to be the keeper of some sort of secret skill; and as such expect to be paid for his incredible talent. Without realizing that most of the greatest coders that work for top 10 companies in the Silicon valley, give away code for free because they make more than enough to have the luxury to spend their limited time doing something, and give it away for free on github.

What sort of crazy madness is this? Programmers doing work for free?

The hacking was a different story; that didn't change today; with hackers breaking into protections and security systems not to get something for profit but to show their skillset. People selling pirated games, were doing it for the purpose to make a profit, not for the challenge.

Everything should be seen in perspective IMO