English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 December 2022, 01:15   #1
Photon

Can I make WinUAE auto-launch an .adf?

(I should add: by clicking on it to download it in a web browser, then double-clicking on it when downloaded.)

I can do this with e.g. .d64 files, and it's good for a quick check.

I guess for this to happen, WinUAE would need a setting for a default config, since .adf files can be for any Amiga. But that too would be nice addition (again - if not already configurable. There is no manual for WinUAE AFAIK.)

I could rig something up, e.g. click Folder icon instead, select the file if necessary, F2, rename to test.adf, switch to desktop and double-click a desktop shortcut I made to launch WinUAE with arguments (just guessing now) WinUAE c:\Downloads\test.adf and it would maybe use the default OCS A500 Quickstart config.

As it is, it's not too much trouble pressing my keybind for the desktop shortcut to WinUAE, and double click config after copying the file to Diskimages, then F12, click Floppy Drives, click (...), select the file, but it would be handy. Also for .dms.

.exe (or extensionless) is more troublesome, but perhaps something could be done here also? A double-click or maybe even better, right-click any file/open in WinUAE to automate the whole process would be great. Cheers
Old 27 December 2022, 02:42   #2
ztronzo

In theory and I don't see why not.. make a self extracting executable using a portable configuration of winuae
Old 27 December 2022, 11:36   #3
thomas

I don't see why this is worth a question. Just double-click a .adf file and associate it with winuae.exe, there you go.

On WinUAE's Pri & Extensions page you can also pre-select file endings to be associated with WinUAE.

The config used probably is default.uae which is always loaded first.
Old 27 December 2022, 13:07   #4
Dan

This batch script should start winuae with a config and an disk image in df0: , if an adf file is passed as the first parameter.

go.bat
Code:
@echo off
winuae.exe -f D:\Emus\WinUae\Configurations\ADF_V1-3.uae -0 %1
I guess it can be easily added to the registry
Old 27 December 2022, 13:27   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You don't really need a config file. You can pretty much configure everything via the command line: https://www.vware.at/winuaehelp/Comm...arameters.html
Old 29 December 2022, 01:29   #6
Photon

Not sure what everyone means. I thought I was clear. Let's go again.

I am asking how to
  1. Right-click a file (Yes! Check! We still have the power to do this!)
  2. Open With WinUAE (Now THIS may or may not work depending on what day Windows is having, it must be forced by app.)
  3. The config that I have set as default somehow via the UI (or perhaps by copying a file and renaming it? I certainly don't want whatever is the default config after install...) loads the Amiga and Host config thus selected with the file inserted into DF0 as if I had done all those clicks and path navigation manually.

E.g. _after_ associating all files under Pri & Extensions, double-clicking an ADF opens the standard dialog where nothing works. You click Other Programs, Browse, choose WinUAE.exe, and the bog standard Amiga and host config opens an A500 1.3 and shows the disk hand. No boot.

(I would prefer right-click because double-clicking an Amiga file mistakenly provided with an .exe suffix obviously cannot do what an Amiga emu user wants.)

Last edited by Photon; 29 December 2022 at 01:42.
Old 29 December 2022, 04:52   #7
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Not sure what everyone means. I thought I was clear. Let's go again.

I am asking how to
  1. Right-click a file (Yes! Check! We still have the power to do this!)
    Yes we can all right click a file and get it's properties. What is your question here?
  2. Open With WinUAE (Now THIS may or may not work depending on what day Windows is having, it must be forced by app.)
    Ok - I think I am starting to see now but I'm still kind of confused at what you want
  3. The config that I have set as default somehow via the UI (or perhaps by copying a file and renaming it? I certainly don't want whatever is the default config after install...) loads the Amiga and Host config thus selected with the file inserted into DF0 as if I had done all those clicks and path navigation manually.
    This can be done using a .bat file. If you see the image I attached here you can see what I have done to set up a CLI based MENU where you can chose what game you want to play.
I will show you small demo what I have done to run the Amiga Emulator (yay WinUAE!) here.

Looking at the image you can see how my directory structure looks.
Code:
@ECHO OFF
@CLS
TITLE Amiga Cinemaware Games

:MENU
ECHO.
ECHO ................................................
ECHO .            CINEMAWARE GAMES                  .
ECHO . PRESS a number to run your game, Q to EXIT   .
ECHO ................................................
ECHO.
ECHO      1 - Wings
ECHO      Q - EXIT

SET /P M=Enter Game Number: 
IF %M%==1 GOTO WINGS

IF %M%==Q GOTO EOF
IF %M%==q GOTO EOF

:WINGS
CLS
REM CD CW_Wings
winuae.exe -f ".\Configurations\Wings.uae" -cfgparam use_gui=no -portable
GOTO MENU
You still have to have one .uae file for each game if you use the above code. You can see it up above after the -f switch.

DISCLAMER
I am not responsible for any shenanigans that this code commits. Use it at your own risk. Also, try and get the most up to date console commands for WinUAE just in case they have changed. I haven't used this code since getting my Raspberry PI400 - I do pretty much everything on that now a days.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EXMP.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	77564  
Old 29 December 2022, 13:02   #8
Dan

Quote:
Not sure what everyone means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I guess it can be easily added to the registry
You can use the https://ystr.github.io/types/ as it is easier to add (or remove) items to the explorers right click menue.

You can choose to add as many items to the right click menu (for e.g. .adf) as you like:
If it is an a500 game- use a500 config
If it is an aga game - use a1200 config
If it is an kickstart 1.2 game - then use that

Last edited by Dan; 29 December 2022 at 13:28.
Old 29 December 2022, 15:00   #9
Seiya

i don't know i well understood the first post, but he wants click on ADF file to transfer into a web browser and play from it.
Do you want to do like him?
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Seiya; 29 December 2022 at 15:24.
Old 07 January 2023, 20:25   #10
Photon

I guess I want
1) a way to set a default config for WinUAE that launches emulation using that config whenever WinUAE is started (I can always press F12 if I want to change it)
2) a way to pass a filename as argument. Because WinUAE can take an Amiga executable (.exe or no extension) as argument as well as .adf, .adz, zipped .adf, and .dms, I would like to use Windows' Context menu with an entry named, "Open with WinUAE".
Old 08 January 2023, 00:14   #11
Dan

With the tool in the post #8 you can do just that.

You will have to add an entry for each type (adf, adz, zip, dms)
You will have to add your own command and name for it (actions tab). (if you use the name "Open" it will be the default action - double click on the file in the explorer will open that command line.)
You can add multiple options to open a file. (multiple configurations)

The commandline example is:
Quote:
winuae.exe -f "c:\WinUae\Configurations\ADF_V1-3.uae" -0 "%1" -s use_gui=no
Here is a screenshot on my windows:

If you add a config for an adf extension. type in a class name.
With it you can simply select the same class for dms, adz (and others) and it will use the same menu commands (see the action tab in the screenshot) for it.
(means: you do not have to type the configurations again)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	types.png
Views:	646
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	77716  

Last edited by Dan; 08 January 2023 at 00:47.
Old 09 January 2023, 00:25   #12
Photon

Probably the best way to achieve it is with UAE commandline options for portability. E.g. "xxxuae <config_filename> <autoopen_filename>".

There are probably ways to achieve this by setting up a batch file etc. But I'm asking to make UAE more user friendly. The whole point of this question is to not have to put the file name in a batch file (or edit registry).

It's already possible in other emulators, although most platforms don't offer the same versatility in setup as Amiga, and so they supply a default configuration over which there is no control (which is mostly fine for them). And add .d64, .t64, .tap, .dsk to registry on install.

I would like to see the same ease of use for WinUAE and it will not happen by following guides that can only be found by finding a forum thread or group post or things like that. I hope you know what I mean and want the same.
Old 09 January 2023, 09:55   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

When I double click on an ADF file it starts WinUAE with the A500 most common quickstart (granted to have to set that up once). I doesn't open the GUI. It just starts the disk and if it's a game the game loads. Don't know how else you'd solve this without a frontend that tells WinUAE which config to use.
Old 09 January 2023, 17:10   #14
Dan

Well, because amiga has many setup possibilities, the only 'other' way i have thought of, is to have a (obviously working) config name in the filename.

For example Ik+ [kick13].adf, Brian The Lion[kick31].adf or
ik+ [cfg01].adf ... BrianTheLion[cfg05].adf

Then either winuae or a hidden launcher would load/launch the appropriate config.
(a hidden launcher is an app which does not show the gui = launch and end)
Old 09 January 2023, 22:14   #15
Seiya

this is how works with gamebase front-end. no gui open, but start directly the game with your config (OCS, AGA, ECS, A500, A600, A1200, ecc)
Old 10 January 2023, 20:11   #16
vulture

DamienD asked me to post this for you Photon:

============================================================

Alrighty, so slapped together a solution for you Photon... it's not perfect but the best I could come up with.

It basically allows you to double-click on any .ADF / .ADZ / .DMS / .IPF / .RAW / .WRP file, select a pre-defined configuration, it will launch WinUAE, insert the disk image into DF0: and start emulation

Concept:
DamienD's Disk Launcher works on the following principle:

1) .ADF / .ADZ / .DMS / .IPF / .RAW / .WRP files have been set to open with WinUAE.
2) There is a "Default.uae" file located in your "Configurations" directory.

Things to note for you to test:

My WinUAE setup is as follows, so set up the same way for now:

1) WinUAE is located in "C:\WinUAE".
2) The configuration files are stored in "C:\WinUAE\Configurations".
3) The ROMs are stored in "C:\WinUAE\ROMs".
4) Paths and everything inside the configuration files is relative.

Instructions on usage:

1) Download the file "DamienD's Disk Launcher.rar" from the TURRAN FTP located in "/~Uploads/DamienD/DamienD's Disk Launcher".
2) Extract into "C:\WinUAE".
3) Double-click / apply the "DamienD's Disk Launcher.reg" file located in "C:\WinUAE\DamienD's Disk Launcher".
4) Now double-click on any .ADF / .ADZ / .DMS / .IPF / .RAW / .WRP file.
5) My batch file converted to an EXE will launch:
6) Select the desired configuration file to run.
7) Now double-click again on any .ADF / .ADZ / .DMS / .IPF / .RAW / .WRP file and WinUAE will launch / start emulation:
If you're happy with everything after testing then I can adjust stuff to your WinUAE setup i.e. where WinUAE / configuration files / ROMs are stored.

Just ask vulture for my e-mail address

============================================================
Old 10 January 2023, 21:05   #17
Dan

Winuae has a way to associate the extensions to itself.

It is in the gui in the Host/Pri & Extensions.
Old 10 January 2023, 21:46   #18
vulture

Dan, yes obviously.

After doing that you need a configuration file named "Default.uae". Once double-clicking on a disk image, WinUAE will launch, load the "Default.uae" configuration, insert the disk image into DF0: and start emulation.

...but my tool (essentially a batch file --> .EXE, and .REG files) isn't just about associating file types with WinuAE. The way I've set everything up means that after double-clicking on a disk image, you can select a configuration first, click on the disk image again and then start emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Winuae has a way to associate the extensions to itself.

It is in the gui in the Host/Pri & Extensions.
Old 11 January 2023, 07:32   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Man, this is so much easier than using Quickstart!
Old 11 January 2023, 20:47   #20
vulture

DamienD asked me to post this update:

======================================================================

Slightly updated the names of the configuration files to make it clearer, and therefore also adjusted the text in the batch file:
  • A500 - ECS Agnus, KS 1.3, 512Kb Chip & 512Kb Slow RAM.uae
  • A500 - ECS Agnus, KS 1.3, 1MB Chip RAM.uae
  • A1200 - AGA, KS 3.1, 2MB Chip RAM.uae
  • A1200 - AGA, KS 3.1, 2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM.uae
If downloaded / used previously, please just do the following:
  • Delete the directory "C:\WinUAE\DamienD's Disk Launcher".
  • Download again from the TURRAN FTP located in "/~Uploads/DamienD/DamienD's Disk Launcher".
  • Extract into "C:\WinUAE".

======================================================================