English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 May 2013, 18:49   #1
trydowave

unreal not working adf real amiga

Hi. Another sodding game giving me trouble. tried most of the unreal adfs in the zone. the rzr ones wont load disc 2 at all.
The QTX ones will load in winuae and get to the game fine...
on my real amiga the game loads, gets to the menu screen but dies before you get into the game.
Just after you get the pic of the guy holding his sword you get a black screen or a purple scereen with a box inside it with crashed gfx that kind of look like static on a TV.

Anyone know how to fix this or does anyone know any good adfs?

Cheers
Tony
Old 22 May 2013, 19:12   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe it's time to invest in the Hxc Floppy emulator and play IPF original images. I had an Amiga 500 back than and can't remember so many issues with cracked games.
Old 22 May 2013, 19:47   #3
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Maybe it's time to invest in the Hxc Floppy emulator and play IPF original images. I had an Amiga 500 back than and can't remember so many issues with cracked games.
I got this A500 with all the floppies for free. If i was going to spend money i'd get an A1200 with CF Flash instead.
To be honest. All the transfers have gone great, about 200 so far... its just the odd few here and there giving me trouble.

cheers
tony
Old 22 May 2013, 19:56   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The Razor crack is for the NTSC version of Unreal, the Quartex crack is for the PAL version.

Seriously sounds like you need to invest in a new floppy drive, you're having an awful lot of problems with games that game NO problems back in the day.
Old 22 May 2013, 22:01   #5
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
The Razor crack is for the NTSC version of Unreal, the Quartex crack is for the PAL version.

Seriously sounds like you need to invest in a new floppy drive, you're having an awful lot of problems with games that game NO problems back in the day.
lol - either that or a bad set of floppy disks!
Old 22 May 2013, 22:11   #6
trydowave

I have two amiga 500s one with red power led the other with green.

I tried them both and they both crashed at the same time.

I will try another floppy disk next to test if thats where the fault lies.

(just played virocop and the second level failed to load)
Old 27 June 2013, 03:21   #7
trydowave

i got to the flying level using thr RZR versions... funny thing though, the intros music now runs a tad slower. Has this game been cracked properly?
Old 27 June 2013, 11:09   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
i got to the flying level using thr RZR versions... funny thing though, the intros music now runs a tad slower. Has this game been cracked properly?
Its the NTSC version. Most games were timed using the vblank timer, and music was also timed this way. NTSC is 60hz refresh, PAL is 50hz refresh, unless they used CIA timers, the music will be affected as should the game itself.
Old 27 June 2013, 13:18   #9
trydowave

this is the only one I could get to work. do you know if theres a pal version of the RZR crack?

Cheers
Tony
Old 27 June 2013, 14:04   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
this is the only one I could get to work. do you know if theres a pal version of the RZR crack?

Cheers
Tony
No. Quartex cracked the PAL version, Razor cracked the NTSC version.

I had the Quartex version back in the day and had ZERO problems with it.
Old 28 June 2013, 23:08   #11
trydowave

Tried the Quartex version again. Got it working this time but only on my other Amiga 500.
I'm using the same ADF to the same disks but it doesn't matter how many times I copy them one of the Amiga wont except it??

The only difference between the two Amiga's is that one has a red led (my main gaming Amiga connected to the TV and amp) and the green led Amiga connected to a 1084S monitor (this is a screen gems one released in 1990)

I hear that the red led is older? Do you think this might be the cause of my problems or do you think it just has a dodgy floppy or chip(s)?

Just thought i'd mention that all the other games work fine for it.

Thanks
Tony
Old 29 June 2013, 02:03   #12
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Tried the Quartex version again. Got it working this time but only on my other Amiga 500.
I'm using the same ADF to the same disks but it doesn't matter how many times I copy them one of the Amiga wont except it??

The only difference between the two Amiga's is that one has a red led (my main gaming Amiga connected to the TV and amp) and the green led Amiga connected to a 1084S monitor (this is a screen gems one released in 1990)

I hear that the red led is older? Do you think this might be the cause of my problems or do you think it just has a dodgy floppy or chip(s)?

Just thought i'd mention that all the other games work fine for it.

Thanks
Tony
I've got 2 x A500 with the same LEDs as you. The red LED is KS 1.2, whereas the green LED is KS 1.3. Not sure if yours are the same?
Old 29 June 2013, 10:15   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Its either a dodgy Gary chip or dodgy floppy drive, no fix was done back in the day for Unreal, it was a major title, and any errors would have been rectified.
Old 29 June 2013, 14:22   #14
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I've got 2 x A500 with the same LEDs as you. The red LED is KS 1.2, whereas the green LED is KS 1.3. Not sure if yours are the same?
When I took it apart to clean I remember it having a 1.3 rom. I think it did!!??
I'm running workbench 1.3.3 on the red led amiga but I think that runs fine under KS 1.2.
Old 29 June 2013, 14:26   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Kickstart issues were only really relevant on earlier games that accessed Kickstart routines directly instead of offsetting like they should have done.

Virtually no game would have a problem crossing over between 1.2/1.3 except for some minor exceptions like Double Dragon 2 which was a specific ECS issue, not a Kickstart issue, and some later problems when the A500+ was released.

Dodgy Gary chip or dodgy floppy drive. Simply remove drive from known working Amiga and put it into the one that doesn't work properly.

All this nonsense about all these games not working is tiresome. Follow the advice given and your problems should start to go.
Old 30 June 2013, 15:18   #16
trydowave

As far as im concerned this problem is now done and dusted and offically solved (thanx to the reply posts). Now I know my red led amiga is at issue.

Last edited by trydowave; 30 June 2013 at 15:24.
Old 30 June 2013, 17:55   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

\o/
Old 01 July 2013, 21:41   #18
mai

Confirmed good version:
Quote:
Unreal (1990)(Ubi Soft)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr QTX]
C1BA08C1
Unreal (1990)(Ubi Soft)(Disk 2 of 3)[cr QTX]
2EC5D48A
Unreal (1990)(Ubi Soft)(Disk 3 of 3)[cr QTX]
F15B2620
All other TOSEC disks 2 and 3 are bad dumps, game crashes!
Old 04 July 2013, 16:34   #19
trydowave

Thanx mai. I thought I was taking crazy pills earlier when I was reporting the game not working.
I could try the bad dumps on the Amiga that I know to work 100% but to be honest I cant be bothered lol.
Got the thing working now anyways.
Cheers again
Tony
Old 04 August 2013, 11:22   #20
Vollldo

Happy to read this trydowave, Unreal is a fantastic title for the Amiga .

Btw, the "Imation" floppies are the most reliable HD ones i know, all my disks were written back on them (more than 2000 floppies). Some are faulty of course but in comparison to other companies the Imation floppies are by far more reliable (i tried dozens of different companies during years).

So maybe you should invest into a set if Imation ones, it can only minimize the problems for your next transfers .