English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 December 2019, 12:14   #41
viddi

To be honest, I have to agree with DamienD.

But we´ll see how it´ll turn out in the end.
Old 07 December 2019, 14:13   #42
sandruzzo

@DamienD.
@Invent,

Thanks for your words. Of course, It still look amazing!
Old 07 December 2019, 14:27   #43
sandruzzo

With Invent we were inquire the possibility to do some sort of fast action game, based upon Old Proxima 3 gfx. Idea was to do a game were with ship you have to destroy all the enemies that come into action like storms' bird! Some sort of fast and furious game.
Old 07 December 2019, 15:50   #44
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Remember Sandruzzos Prototype well. Looked really nice...

I guess some people here are just a bit sad that the game looks and feels so different to what was the game that was already happening in our heads when we saw these amazing concept graphics.

In the end it's your development, off course, and you have to decide...
Old 07 December 2019, 17:00   #45
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have to ask too: Is this really an atempt to create the oldschool arcade gameplay? Or is it just vertical scrolling version of ReShoot, which is more like a score shooter? I prefer the focus on the level design with good end-boss enemies. Well, like the most older shmups.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 December 2019 at 17:06.
Old 07 December 2019, 17:23   #46
sandruzzo

@Steril707

Still Looking Amazing!
Old 07 December 2019, 22:41   #47
buzzybee

@Steril707: There never was a prototype. Only a visual demo which scrolled tiles and had two 3-color parallax layers. No gameplay, no moving objects. Check it out here: [ Show youtube player ]

@Retro-Nerd: Happy to answer in detail. First I need to understand what you characterize as "oldschool arcade gameplay" and "score shooter". I, for one, would not classify RESHOOT R a score shooter, at least not in the modern japanese Danmaku style way. I´d rather classify it as a european style shmup comparable to Apidya or Project X.
With RESHOOT PROXIMA III we aim for a mix between Thruxton and Hybris with fast and fluid gameplay, high framerate, great controls, balanced difficulty - if that helps to feed your imagination. :-)

@all: I appreciate all feedback. Yesterday invent and I discussed if we should rethink art direction. We decided to stay on our path, because a) it´s OUR game, b) we have to consider feedback outside of EAB. The youtube-video gets exceptional response, with 28 thumbs up/not a single thumps down from 370 visitors so far. But most importantly, and please forgive me if I repeat myself: you guys only saw early tech engine stuff right now. As soon as I may be able to show actual gameplay: YOU. WILL. BE. AMAZED.

Meanwhile, why not stop talking and start creating. Kevin and I want to invite all you guys to actively support the project: Please add your drawing / rendering talents to our team, or code the best ever title / credits final screen! Kevin and I also appreciate moral support via our Patreon campaigns.
Old 07 December 2019, 22:51   #48
sandruzzo

@buzzybee

it was a prototype since collisions were there. I was able to read the whole map with enemies....
Old 07 December 2019, 22:56   #49
buzzybee

@sandruzzo: Protoype means that actual gameplay exists and can be tested. Would you link a video, or maybe send code? Happy to playtest your prototype in action and learn from it!
Old 07 December 2019, 22:58   #50
sandruzzo

@buzzybee

I gave all the code to Invent in order to give it to you, just to help, or to pick-up what could have helperd you
Old 07 December 2019, 23:03   #51
buzzybee

Okay, I´ll ask him. Meanwhile, would you pn me the executable or a video link to just quickly get an impression of what actually exists?
Old 07 December 2019, 23:24   #52
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Okay, I´ll ask him. Meanwhile, would you pn me the executable or a video link to just quickly get an impression of what actually exists?
I can do better, I can send to you the whole project, and support if you need. I even started to do menu, which works.
Current version have some bugs, cos I was playing a little bit with some ideas.
Old 08 December 2019, 00:28   #53
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
@Retro-Nerd: Happy to answer in detail. First I need to understand what you characterize as "oldschool arcade gameplay" and "score shooter". I, for one, would not classify RESHOOT R a score shooter, at least not in the modern japanese Danmaku style way. I´d rather classify it as a european style shmup comparable to Apidya or Project X.
With RESHOOT PROXIMA III we aim for a mix between Thruxton and Hybris with fast and fluid gameplay, high framerate, great controls, balanced difficulty - if that helps to feed your imagination. :-)

Well, sorry to say that. But i never liked Reshoot or Reshoot R, when we talk about a good level design or endboss/enemy waves design. It's a too simplified atempt. Sometimes the levels are too static/empty like 8bit computer shmups, despite the good used technics. I really hope it goes in the Hyris/Truxton direction, without beiing too fast. I think the golden Age of traditional shmups was from 1986-1994. Everthing before Bullet Hell stuff. Games like R-Type, Gradius, Raiden, Aleste etc.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 December 2019 at 00:59.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:00   #54
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
@Retro-Nerd: I can understand you feel Reshoot plays a bit like 8 bit shmups. But RESHOOT R? I consider it to be a modern child of exactly the "golden age shmups" you mention; it got so many rave reviews for its playability and diversity (Retro Gamer: 90%). I am having a hard time to understand what you don´t like about it, to be honest. As to not overwhelm this thread with details: Would you mind to pn me with a collection of detailed proposals of what you would lke to see in PROXIMA. If you have special boss designs or ideas for gameplay challenges, I am happy to implement them – as long as they are within Kevins and my budget of time and money.
Well, beside some fancy technics it lacks a decent level design/gameplay, like i mentioned in some of the classics (Amiga, Console, Arcade). It's not even remotely close to some of the best shmups from the golden Age.

I honestly can't see why Retro Games gives a score like 90%. I mean, even some of the best Japanese (and they were the master of shmups) games got that high ratings. I think e.g. even Apidya or Z-Out are far better on the Amiga if you talking about the sheer gameplay. Yes, they may lack the technical bling bling you wanted to create on AGA. But they have beautiful crafted 2D Bitmap graphics and a really good sountrack.

But more important (and that's my whole point) here, and why i directed you to look at some japanese PC-Engine/Mega Drive classics more closely:
These games have a very refined level design. With nice ideas for enemy waves, upgradable weapon systems, installed background enemies. Also some clever and rather complex end-boss fights with nice animations. Thought maybe some of them could inspire you for Proxima III. You should really play them thoroughly, not just looking some clips on Youtube. I would help to understand what real shmups fans would like to see on the Amiga. And with AGA Power you can probably creating something really good here. I mean, Banshee from Core Design was quite nice for an AGA Euro shmup. You must admit that.

Sorry, i can't give you specific proposals of what i would like to see in Proxima III. It's your game, your design. I'm not that presumptuous to tell you what you should do. My only advice is the above. Test the classics and understand why they are still good and very enjoyable to play.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 December 2019 at 05:08.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:34   #55
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I honestly can't see why Retro Games gives a score like 90%. I mean, even some of the best Japanese (and they were the master of shmups) games got that high ratings.
Exactly, and so did RESHOOT R. RR also got rave reviews from RETURN, Amiga Future and a number of other magazines, also kind words from Amiga Bill, Morgan Just Games and other youtubers. Maybe it´s just not your cup of tea. Just out of curiosity: When you played RESHOOT R, to which stage did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
But more important (and that's my whole point) here, and why i directed you to look at some japanese PC-Engine/Mega Drive classics more closely:
These games have a very refined level design. With nice ideas for enemy waves, upgradable weapon systems, installed background enemies. Also some clever and rather complex end-boss fights with nice animations. Thought maybe some of them could inspire you for Proxima III. You should really play them thoroughly, not just looking some clips on Youtube.
Very kind to point me to actually playing games. As editor at german Amiga Joker and Megablast magazine in the 90s it was my duty to play almost every shmup on Amiga, Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, PC Engine and other systems of the era; and write reviews of many of them. I still own a collection of classics. Favorites are Thunderforce IV on Mega Drive, Last Resort on NeoGeo and Apidya/Silkworm/Hybris on Amiga. Banshee? I consider it to be very beautiful to look at. Did not enjoy playing it that much though, as the low 25 Hz framerate kills the fun for me.

I dare to say, I do know how a good bossfight looks like. It´s a big challenge to choreograph a boss fight on par with the best games of the 90s like ... say ... Daser-stage of TFIV. It also took the original creators week to get everything right. That´s why these games are called "classics" and remembered by so many – because you can feel the enthusiasm put into these games.

You must not forget: Kevin and I, we want to enthuse the Amiga community too. But we are not Technosoft or Core Design. We are "just" two guys working in their sparetime on an Amiga game with a very tight budget of time and money. I takes us weeks or rather months to get just one bossfight right. Therefore any help and moral support is deeply appreciated. #be #a #patreon

Last edited by buzzybee; 08 December 2019 at 05:41.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:34   #56
sandruzzo

I think wheter we like RESHOOT or not is irrilevant to me. What matter most is that, evene after 30 years, we have "mad" talented guy like buzzybee, who is willing to do Amiga games. To me is an allways: THANK YOU.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:40   #57
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, than i stay out of it. As i said. It's your game. If you still think it's the best way to do a vertical AGA shooter with the Reshoot R engine you have the right. Yes, i know your are not Techno Soft or IREM. Never said or implied that. Good luck with your project. I for myself will wait for other atempts.

btw: 25Hz isn't a game killer. Apidya scrolls with 25Hz (50Hz objects though) too. And you wouldn't dare to say that it's boring or mediore.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:43   #58
buzzybee

@sandruzzo: Exactly. You did a great job starting the project with Kevin, and now we try to finish it and deliver a great new Amiga experience in 2020!
Old 08 December 2019, 05:45   #59
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
@sandruzzo: Exactly. You did a great job starting the project with Kevin, and now we try to finish it and deliver a great new Amiga experience in 2020!
Now, you have all: gfx, sounds, sources, and tool for TILED maps.
Old 08 December 2019, 05:55   #60
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

btw Richard: You wrote the Banshee review in Amiga Joker 9/94. You gave it 83%. "A genre highlight" was your summary. Yeah, Yeah, time can make you forget.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 December 2019 at 06:06.