Insider

Looking forward!
Old 02 December 2019, 22:24   #22
32Bitz

This looks Good!
Old 03 December 2019, 12:34   #23
invent
pixels

Thankyou, we are working hard and I have a few updates for Richard soon as far as new gfx ideas.
Old 03 December 2019, 13:33   #24
Pyromania

I’m looking forward to new stuff of this quality.
Old 06 December 2019, 22:00   #25
buzzybee

New video of autotargeting tests

I uploaded a new video to youtube which shows tests for a revised targeting system. Nothing more, nothing less :-)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 December 2019, 22:08   #26
DamienD
Banned

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think that you are overusing the swaying clouds effects etc... and I would say the same was true with Reshoot R and the swaying backgrounds, which made the game very distracting.

When I saw these lush graphics / colours / pixels that invent had planned for use in the original Promixa, I was soooooooooo excited. Finally the Amiga was getting a proper arcade style shoot'em up:

...and then I saw what was occurring with the "Reshoot Proxima III" team up, and quite honestly, now I'm disappointed. It's nothing like the above, a massive step down and everything seems dulled down graphics / colour wise

Anyway, again it's just my opinion.

Last edited by DamienD; 06 December 2019 at 22:18.
Old 06 December 2019, 22:16   #27
vulture

I suppose there's a middle ground here. Only Richard could answer that though. Maybe some sections can be more lush and colourful with less gfx fx and others like the ones shown, with distortions and transparencies, which I personally find super-impressive too.
Old 06 December 2019, 22:24   #28
buzzybee

It does absolutely not make sense to discuss this topic right now, as the game is in early development and what you see in the video has almost nothing to do with the final result – it´s just about tech testing right now.

Having said that, Invents pictures are exactly that – static pictures. They never moved. They are an imagination of how a game might look like, regardless of the fact if it is technically possible or makes sense gameplay-design-wise.

RESHOOT PROXIMA III on the other hand is up and running already. It indeed is about being a fast, smooth and pure arcade experience. Fog, clouds, transparency or whatever visual-fx may be in the final game will just add to the feeling of adrenaline and action. And it will – not even for a second - look or feel dull. That´s a promise!

Also, of course RESHOOT PROXIMA III will feature several stages which convey a different look and feel. This time, each stage will also feature its own music track.
Old 06 December 2019, 23:30   #29
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Having said that, Invents pictures are exactly that – static pictures. They never moved. They are an imagination of how a game might look like, regardless of the fact if it is technically possible or makes sense gameplay-design-wise.
Maybe you think that we weren't all reading invent's blog over the years about the original "Proxima 3 - Red Dawrf Star" or something Richard?

The original title screen, sprites / level tilesheets etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent's blog 2016
The environment is partly destructible as well as the bigger enemies, each enemy has a flash/hit state.

Some Tech specs:
- 3 layer parallax
- 6 levels (all choosable except the final level)
- One player (at the moment)
- 16 colour foreground/enemies, 4 colours for each parallax and 16 colours for player.
- Enhanced copper effects.
Also, previously sandruzzo was the coder assisting with bringing what you've called just "static pictures" to life... but we don't know what happened with that partnership. I guess he got dumped when you showed interest and wanted to make it into another Reshoot spin-off.

Anyway, no more comments from me.

Last edited by DamienD; 06 December 2019 at 23:35.
Old 07 December 2019, 00:38   #30
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Maybe you think that we weren't all reading invent's blog over the years about the original "Proxima 3 - Red Dawrf Star" or something Richard?

Also, previously sandruzzo was the coder assisting with bringing what you've called just "static pictures" to life... but we don't know what happened with that partnership. I guess he got dumped when you showed interest and wanted to make it into another Reshoot spin-off.

Anyway, no more comments from me.
Kevin (Invent) already commented on all these topics, but apparently it makes sense to sum up these facts (again) from his point of view (again). I´ll invite him.
Old 07 December 2019, 02:08   #31
invent
pixels

Just a quick note: Richard's game engine is shaping up very nicely to be stunning, I am biased of course

Graphics: It is early days and the focus is the engine right now.

@DamienD In regards to "ProXima 3 - Red Dwarf Star" Sandruzzo felt Shootemup's like this was too big a project for him and so it stopped, a great shame, but I hope he will reply if my statement is incorrect. He is a very talented coder and it's a shame this happened, alot of time passed since then and I didn't want to waste the graphics and so using these in Reshoot Proxima III made the most sense.

Richard is absolutely correct in yes they are static images but based on some suggestions of what's possible (4 colour back, 4 mid and 16 colour foreground with hardware player sprite), we did get a scrolling engine BUT we never got to building a stress test of the engine, that is multiple enemies/explosions/bullets on screen, I suggested for quite some months to scroll/move around basic blocks to see what's possible, but sadly it didn't happen because this would of influenced how the game may of eventually looked. I didn't want the game to be jerky scrolling like Xenon II for example. Strategically I did plan for this though, the game would of stopped scrolling at the mid level alien stage (half way in the level and possibly at multiple points), have a bigger eg 128x128 size enemy moving fast and freely on screen. Did also have other ideas to turn off parallax effects for slower machines or possibly having a combined tileset such as what you see in games like Hybris/Battle Squadron. These ideas of course take a ton of time to implement all the variations which was why I was keen on stress testing the engine.

@DamienD I have to correct you though, Sandruzzo didn’t ever get dumped, he just lost interest and wanted to work on quicker projects, infact we had started a few that no-one really knows about (which reminds me I hope someone chases up his most recent project as I believe the graphic talent has stopped working on the project, not sure)

Richard and I are super excited about Reshoot Proxima III this is our 3 game in recent years, and we love creating games on the Amiga.

Last edited by invent; 07 December 2019 at 02:14. Reason: Adding more details :)
Old 07 December 2019, 02:24   #32
sandruzzo

Invent, yes, I've lost some interesting since we hit too much time, period of time whitout nothnig to do, due to life. So, no regreat.

I've set base code, were we are able to read maps from tiled, with 3 layers. We have base Aga sprites motions. We are able to read enemies chuncks' datas from Tiled, and I was working around the way to read motions' path from the same tools.

Invent has been doing an incredible jobs with gfx. I'm still amazing how much He is able to squeeze out of Aga colors. I still have to understand how he is able to do so!

I had in mind a way to double colors, just by crossing 2 sets of tiles, with a little flicker of course.

We still have 6 spare HW Sprites to use for either Huge enemies or More background Layers.

In order to have maximum speed, I was using fast ram, were, I decode the whole "sub" levels, and with 020 copy gfx from fast to chip mem. Blitter was used to do cockie-cut operations, and cpu to restore background.

We had some free left and right scrolling, and in order to avoid to bite HW sprites, I reduce A little bit screen Are. I was able to have Fast 64bit page, and whole 8 sprites!

I Think we have a lot left in the tank to show a great numbers of enemies with good rock solid 50hz. Since my new understanting, I think A LOT....

I gave all my code to Invent to share with the others Guys, and give my availability, to understand code,and so forth. iI was coding menu too...

Collision were made to be pixel perfect performed by cpu. If you'll see Invent guns perfectly collide with first layer!
Old 07 December 2019, 02:35   #33
invent
pixels

Great to see you Sandruzzo , and thankyou for explaining the extra technical details.

Hope the Chips game your working on gets an update soon http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98224
Old 07 December 2019, 02:43   #34
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Great to see you Sandruzzo , and thankyou for explaining the extra technical details.

Hope the Chips game your working on gets an update soon http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98224
Just a pleasure and Honored to have worked with you. Unfortunatelly that guydisapperend. Game allmost done! That's what make me lost interesting on coding for Amiga.

Maybe one day we could do that PROXIMA 3 spin-off, that we were inquire
Old 07 December 2019, 02:53   #35
sandruzzo

ok, Still some bugs
Old 07 December 2019, 02:53   #36
invent
pixels

Absolute pleasure also Sandruzzo Tried a quick google search to find the person (ppill - http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=6237), hopefully someone else can help out.

Depending on what you need to get done (worth posting in appropriate thread, I'll do that now) we might be able to find extra helpers for you to get the game completed if you interested. Not volunteering as I'm already too thinly stretched work wise.
Old 07 December 2019, 02:56   #37
sandruzzo

@invent

You're the man! Look at your migthy works! Do you Remember? 640x512 256 colors! Look so amazing! Can't belive it! How did you do that?
Old 07 December 2019, 10:49   #38
DamienD
Banned

Thank you for the detailed information Kevin & sandruzzo.

Kevin, why did you ask sandruzzo to remove those 3 posts with screenshots of how the games used to be? I can still see them of course, and they look absolutely amazing

I guess they no longer apply in this thread, now that you've teamed up with Richard and the game looks totally different, but can I move them to your old thread?
Old 07 December 2019, 11:24   #39
invent
pixels

@DamienD, as you mention it was no longer required for this thread, and Sandruzzo was very gracious at removing them. Thankyou for the kind words
Old 07 December 2019, 11:34   #40
DamienD
Banned

I guess that's my point all along though in your old thread and why I commented again in this one after seeing the latest video.

The old game style / graphics etc. looks absolutely amazing and what people got sooooo excited about

It's a real shame that this didn't continue as it was, and you couldn't find a way to make it happen; especially as good progress looks to have been made, not just "static images".

Now, it's just a vertical Reshoot and IMHO has lost a lot of it's previous charm / identity. Anyway...