English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 June 2024, 00:09   #1
PARALAX

Send a message via ICQ to PARALAX
Arrow Teardown & Review of TheC64 & NES Classic Mini (German)

After a long time, I have completed and published a technology tutorial that deals with the C64 remake "TheC64" (C64 Maxi) and the "NES Classic Mini". Both systems are based on a standard mini PC (Raspberry Pi), which are emulated using software. The "TheC64" in particular offers a whole host of extras and extensive support for your own games or demos from a USB stick, not least thanks to perfect emulation using a VICE port, which is already one of the best and most compatible emulators on the PC. Both devices were kindly made available for these reviews.

TheC64 (C64 Maxi):
[ Show youtube player ]

NES Classic Mini:
[ Show youtube player ]

The two videos are each divided into different and individually accessible areas that cover different topics: general features & connections, teardown (disassembly of the hardware), hardware guide to the installed technology, as well as the practical test on the TV with the menu navigation, operation and pre-installed games. Several days of work went into the videos. If you like it, please leave a like, comment or subscription, which I would be very happy about.
Old 12 June 2024, 02:50   #2
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARALAX View Post
After a long time, I have completed and published a technology tutorial that deals with the C64 remake "TheC64" (C64 Maxi) and the "NES Classic Mini". Both systems are based on a standard mini PC (Raspberry Pi), which are emulated using software. The "TheC64" in particular offers a whole host of extras and extensive support for your own games or demos from a USB stick, not least thanks to perfect emulation using a VICE port, which is already one of the best and most compatible emulators on the PC. Both devices were kindly made available for these reviews.

TheC64 (C64 Maxi):
[ Show youtube player ]

NES Classic Mini:
[ Show youtube player ]

The two videos are each divided into different and individually accessible areas that cover different topics: general features & connections, teardown (disassembly of the hardware), hardware guide to the installed technology, as well as the practical test on the TV with the menu navigation, operation and pre-installed games. Several days of work went into the videos. If you like it, please leave a like, comment or subscription, which I would be very happy about.

TheC64 does not have perfect emulation of sound or 1541 and other issues but wasn't much cheaper than a real 64 n SD2IEC when I bought mine.
Old 12 June 2024, 23:24   #3
PARALAX

Send a message via ICQ to PARALAX
There is no cycle-accurate emulation, as is the case with the "x64sc" version on current PC or Retropie hardware. The SoC of TheC64 is simply not powerful enough for that. However, practice has shown that almost all games or demos run without restrictions. This was already the case with the X64 version of VICE 2.4 on the PC and this is exactly what TheC64 is based on. There are a few exceptions in demos such as Krestage 3, but ultimately they are not used in practice and if they are, then only to show that someone has discovered a special undocumented feature of the CPU or the VIC II, which is never used in practice for normal game programming.

Last edited by PARALAX; 12 June 2024 at 23:31.