English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 April 2011, 12:20   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Piracy - did you ever get caught?

DDNI - Spent a few days taking games orders from several school friends, told them how many disks I needed and then spent TWO WEEKS making copies for them - No cash just kudos.

With hindsight, taking the orders in IT class with the deputy headmaster watching was my downfall....
Come delivery day (IT double session pre lunch) I duly arrived at class to be met by the Head master the deputy head AND my Father who had been called away from work to deal with his pirate son. Apparently the school had contacted him about my taking disc orders and wanted him to stop me. Dad in his wisdom decided to let me put in the hard work and THEN spring the trap.
The obvious bollocking was bearable, but losing 180+ disks and two weeks work was the biggest kick in the guts.

My Dad laughed at me for days after!
He was the biggest pirate I knew and would regularly be on BBS getting and sharing his shit.... anonymously....
Old 15 April 2011, 12:26   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

Never been involved in piracy of any kind, film, games or music.
Old 15 April 2011, 12:29   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Never been involved in piracy of any kind, film, games or music.
Old 15 April 2011, 12:30   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I got caught making a copy of Quake 3 at work (worked in computer shop) my boss asked for a copy too whilst I was at it!

In my defence it was to replace my genuine copy that exploded in the CDROM drive
Old 15 April 2011, 12:31   #5
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
He was the biggest pirate I knew and would regularly be on BBS getting and sharing his shit.... anonymously....
Maybe he didnt want any unneccessary attention brought about by his flash kid?
Old 15 April 2011, 12:39   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, where's the poll?
Never got cought btw
Old 15 April 2011, 13:00   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Never got caught, but quite early on I did wise up about making copies for other people. Everyone wanted everything from me, including copies of my legit stuff; eventually when the lawsuits started appearing I simply put a full stop to it. And two years ago I stopped downloading also, even though in the NL its not strictly illegal to do so.

Just ain't worth the risk!
Old 15 April 2011, 13:01   #8
deicidal
Registered Insane

Agreed, I just started telling people i had sold all my equipment.
Old 15 April 2011, 13:05   #9
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Old 15 April 2011, 14:42   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I didn't get caught, but stopped using calling cards after a few influential mates were tracked down using them.
Old 15 April 2011, 15:52   #11
Mr B

What? Piracy? No, never could stand sailing on the seven seas. Sailboats just aren't my thing, and having access to cannons simply doesn't make up for the time wasted. A good highspeed vessel, and a full auto lead pellet dispenser, and it's more like it, but then your labeled terrori... Wait, i got a incoming message here...

Oh.. Um... I see. A misunderstanding seams to have been made. You guys were talking about game copying for you, and your friends. Um... No, never did that. (Oh, who am i kidding. I just never got busted.)
B!
Old 15 April 2011, 16:13   #12
Leffmann

Quote:
The obvious bollocking was bearable, but losing 180+ disks and two weeks work was the biggest kick in the guts.

My Dad laughed at me for days after!
your friends couldn't have been happy either. Must have been back in the days when disks were crazy prices. The ones we used to buy were €12 a 10-pack.

Never got caught or scolded for copying myself, although I think our father tried to hint me and my brother once or twice by buying original games that he knew we already had copies of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
What? Piracy? No, never could stand sailing on the seven seas. Sailboats just aren't my thing, and having access to cannons simply doesn't make up for the time wasted.
good one
Old 15 April 2011, 16:17   #13
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
your friends couldn't have been happy either. Must have been back in the days when disks were crazy prices. The ones we used to buy were €12 a 10-pack.
I was terrified my mates were going to be furious about the discs. But they were massively relieved (and grateful) that i had protected them and kept my order book private
Old 15 April 2011, 17:39   #14
zipper

Just my HD got caught by some nasty virus that infected some 1000 files until I butchered it with VT-Schutz. Nothing got lost.
Old 15 April 2011, 18:54   #15
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Nope never, but then here anything goes, if you now where to look.
Old 15 April 2011, 20:17   #16
source
Zone Friend

There is a reason my handle was the source. I use to be the one who had all the games for the 64 and then amiga back in highschool. Back in university I took a computer course that was manditory. It was one of the biggest wastes of time. We had to work with. Turbo basic, word perfect, lotus 123, and dbase. I had all but dbase. I brought into the scheduled lab a couple selfbooting floppies with dos 5.0. The plan was to try and copy dbase off the server then i could format the disksand when i got them home i could unformat them on my bridgeboard. The lab was teaching how to format a disk. While every one was formatting their disk I was surfing the server and had found dbase on the server. I started coyingthe files over. I did not see the TA come over and he put his hand on my shoulder and watched the the list of files scrolling up the screen. I almost crapped myself. I thought that I was going to be in some sort of trouble with the until the TA said to me "You're going to be bored in this class aren't you?" He then proceeded to tell me to come by the beginning of each lab and he will tell me what was going to be covered and at that point i could decide on if I wanted to stay or not.
Old 15 April 2011, 20:18   #17
ceedy
Old-Amiga-Git

One thing I never considered doing obviously ????

Was connecting my 500's audio out to a sony earpiece and taping it to the phone .

And then not running any sort of software that could control the telephone exchange.

And definately not ever calling BBS boards in the states for free
or talking for free across a Satelite link

And never ever downloading anything From the BBS's!! ..

Old 16 April 2011, 08:35   #18
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Well I never exactly got caught, but one weird incident comes to mind: when I moved to Athens in 1990 I walked into a computer store, "word on the street" was that they happily copied Amiga games. But when I asked them about it the guy told his partner to go get the police and instructed me to wait there. I kicked him on the shin and ran for my life. Only several months later it came to me that they were taking the piss but I didn't stick around long enough to hear the punch line. Needless to say that I never set foot in there again.

Another incident was in the mid-to-late 90s, when I first joined an Amiga newsgroup and asked if anyone wanted to swap disks by regular mail (before the emulation days). Those of you who were around at the time might remember how passionate the comp.sys.amiga.games boys were against piracy, and I was instantly shot down. At least in public, as I got several willing e-mails later on.
Old 16 April 2011, 08:43   #19
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Well I never exactly got caught, but one weird incident comes to mind: when I moved to Athens in 1990 I walked into a computer store, "word on the street" was that they happily copied Amiga games. But when I asked them about it the guy told his partner to go get the police and instructed me to wait there. I kicked him on the shin and ran for my life. Only several months later it came to me that they were taking the piss but I didn't stick around long enough to hear the punch line. Needless to say that I never set foot in there again.

Brilliant!!
Old 16 April 2011, 18:52   #20
onkelarie

I am guilty.... On the Amiga I hardly had any original disk. Lately I'm a good citizen (or stupid?) and buy everything.