English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 09 November 2020, 04:29   #1
Pheonix

Disk Optimizer?

Does anyone know of a Disk Optimizer that works with FFS (v. 46.20) partitions over 4GB and cybscsi.device (v 8.6?)

All the ones I've been able to find & try either don't work at all, or refuse to work on partitions over 4GB.
Old 09 November 2020, 07:17   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

https://aminet.net/disk/optim/DiskOptimizer.lha
Old 09 November 2020, 07:33   #3
Pheonix

That one won't even show DH1: or DH2: (My 2 drives that are over 4GB.)
Old 09 November 2020, 07:37   #4
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
That one won't even show DH1: or DH2: (My 2 drives that are over 4GB.)
The readme says:

"DiskOptimizer does support 64 bit NSD/TD64 devices."

So if you are using NSD/TD64, it should work.
Old 09 November 2020, 12:33   #5
zipper

http://aminet.net/disk/moni/DiskMonTools.lha at least should do something - I once tried to reorg a large disk but as it took ages I found better to just copy over to another drive.
Old 09 November 2020, 12:40   #6
thomas

I would not use any of the suggested tools for FFS V46. They all are older than the FFS and probably do more damage than benefit.
Old 09 November 2020, 13:11   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Does anyone know of a Disk Optimizer that works with FFS (v. 46.20) partitions over 4GB and cybscsi.device (v 8.6?)

All the ones I've been able to find & try either don't work at all, or refuse to work on partitions over 4GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
http://aminet.net/disk/moni/DiskMonTools.lha at least should do something - I once tried to reorg a large disk but as it took ages I found better to just copy over to another drive.

DiskMon Tools
is one that I used to use on floppy disks or small HD partitions. For sizable HD partitions, I used to use ReOrg 3.x....but, as zipper has pointed out, it can be a very slow process on the Amiga.

In any case, optimisation of hard drives (whether it's Amiga, PC or what-have-you) can result in problems occasionally....so I suggest you make a back-up first, if at all possible. Good luck and please let us know if you find anything that works well with FFS V46.xx.
Old 09 November 2020, 21:59   #8
Pheonix

I was afraid of that. I was hoping that something had been written or updated more recently. There is a Disk Optimizer that is available for 3.1.4 (comes with BestWB,) but it was the one listed in the first response above.

It only lists my first partition (3.9 GB,) and seems to work fine with that. The only problem is that when I use it, one of the programs in WBStartup starts causing a minor error (ToolsMenu has not finished, wait or cancel, or some such.) The program works fine, and everything else as well.

My original optimizer (B.A.D.) also seems to work fine (on partitions less than 4GB,) but makes me nervous, as I don't believe it is least bit aware of possibly over sized drives. ReOrg, works great, but refuses to work on drives over 4GB. I'm on the verge of just giving up, and making all drives 4GB, with a large portion of the drive going unused.
Old 10 November 2020, 10:13   #9
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I would not use any of the suggested tools for FFS V46. They all are older than the FFS and probably do more damage than benefit.
Why is that? Is FFS V46 using different data structures on disk compared to older versions?