Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 13 December 2006, 17:53   #1
Christian
Zone Friend

Slightly confused about icons...

Hey Bloodwych,

Thanks for ClassicWB - what a great package, very useful

Anyhow, just some quick questions.

How exactly do you create those cool looking icons in the screenshots of Classicwb full? I get the convert image to icon short-cut, but when I try it they look like crap..

Are you running in a screen mode with lots of colours cause they look very colourful?

Also, do you split the double-barrelled images from HOL manually?

I'm going to install Classicwb full on my A1200 but would like to sort the icons out first .. and yours look very cool.

Thanks again ... great work
Old 14 December 2006, 11:09   #2
Bloodwych

Hi Christian and thanks for using the ClassicWB.

That pic was taken in a higher colour screenmode - either 32 or 64, can't remember. Might even have been 256!

There are two programs under icons to convert images:

Pic->Oldicon This produces old (standard) icon data and as default is setup for low colour (fixed magicicon palette, max 8) high performance icons. It can, however, be setup to use whatever screenmode colours are available at the time of conversion - the max number of colours used and quality settings can be changed in the tools prefs. Problem is, unless the colours used are fixed in place using Scalos pallette prefs (like the fixed magicicon palette currently setup), the icons may change when you swap screenmodes due to the way the Amiga works.

Pic->Newicon Best method for high colour game icons as the most fitting colours out of those available in a given screenmode are automatically selected. This will produce the newicons shown in the pics, but you will obviously need higher screen mode colours when converting and displaying and performance will be slower. Best to have the icons in separate drawers as displaying one perfectly may require 32 colours, two 64 etc, so the more icons on display, the less available for each individual icon and quality will suffer.

The HOL images were manually split for the sake of those screencaps. I agree it's a pain - they should be included in the single screenshot pics too. Perhaps someone has the original collection somewhere before they were joined together?

Hope this helps.
Old 14 December 2006, 12:37   #3
Christian
Zone Friend

Ah thanks for the reply Bloodwych.

Just what I was after

Edit: speeling :P

Last edited by Christian; 17 December 2006 at 17:49.