English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 August 2002, 09:04   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Barbarian (Psygnosis)

I downloaded it and tried to get it to work on WinUAE, WinFellow (using all sorts of configurations) and my A1200 (using every degrading option I could think of), but I failed. Any tips?
Old 08 August 2002, 09:49   #2
Amiga1992

Re: Barbarian (Psygnosis)

Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21
I downloaded it and tried to get it to work on WinUAE, WinFellow (using all sorts of configurations) and my A1200 (using every degrading option I could think of), but I failed. Any tips?
It's gonna be a bitch to make it work in yer A1200, if it works at all. I remember having severe problems to make it run in my A600...

Andreas or Walker are the men to ask when it comes down to lameulator configs They know their shtuff very well!
Old 08 August 2002, 11:15   #3
Walker

I don't think Barbarian works with WinUAE, but with WinFellow it's OK. Use an OCS12 config with 1 MB chip mem and it should load just fine. Hit the mouse button a couple of times to get past the titlescreen and the intro.

If you seem to be stuck at a black screen, wait a couple of seconds and then hit the mouse button again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbarian.gif
Views:	540
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	3264  
Old 08 August 2002, 11:24   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Cheers, I'll try it.
Old 08 August 2002, 12:49   #5
Drake1009

Doesn't seem to work with a 1.3 rom though. It just shifts back and forth between the intro and title screen ignoring all input.
Old 22 February 2004, 06:02   #6
Swordlord

Barbarian from Psygnosis is a bitch, indeed. I struggled for 3 days to find the proper configuration.

Here's the one I was able to make it work with:
WINFELLOW
CPU
--instruction set: 68000
-A500 relative speed: 7 MHz
floppy
--enabled just drives 0 and 1 (all other boxes unchecked)
memory
--memory size: -chip: 1024 KB; -Fast: 0 MB; -bogo: 0 KB
--kickstart: -image: kick13.rom; -key: rom.key
display
--resolution: -high color (16 bit); -check full screen
--Agnus blitter: OCS
--blitter speed: original
(the rest of the boxes unchecked and the pixel resolution is up to you)
sound
--sound emulation: play sound
--channels: stereo
--precision: 16 bit
--sample rate: 44100 Hz
--filter: original
--buffer length: 10 ms
(the other boxes unchecked)
For the other options, I don't think it matters what you pick.

You first see the cracker's intro, press left-click, then you see the Psygnosis logo and, after that, the intro.
After a while, the game shows the barbarian (much more impressive than he looks in the actual game) striking and breaking a chain with his sword. Then back to the title screen, back to the above-mentioned screen, back to the title screen, and then the screen briefly goes black and finally shows a still picture of a red dragon in a yellow background. I don't know when the proper time to click exactly is, because I kept clicking the whole time.
Eventually the screen goes black again, but don't despair. Continue clicking.
In my case, I finally got to see the first in-game scene after about 2-3 minutes after I pressed 'Start emulation'. If only a part of the screen is correctly visible, and the other pixelated or dark, don't reset, just move the barbarian around and it will come to. That's what the .adf file that I tried did.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm new here.

Last edited by Swordlord; 22 February 2004 at 06:33.
Old 28 February 2004, 02:15   #7
Titler
Zone Friend

Hmm, I never had any problem getting this to run under WinUAE;
I've attached one of my configs for you to use; rename it from Default if you don't want to overwrite your own... and don't forget the press both mouse buttons/enter/space/get your cat to dance on the keyboard to advance beyond the screen with the beefy bloke chopping the landscape! If you are still having problems, it may be your .adf; I'll upload mine to The Zone if you need it...
Attached Files
File Type: uae default.uae (7.0 KB, 218 views)
Old 28 February 2004, 05:06   #8
Swordlord

If you were trying to help me, Titler, thank you. (If the message was intended for alkis21, sorry for butting in.)

I was struggling to find a configuration for WinFellow for quite some time, but I finally succeeded a few days ago. I will surely try your WinUAE configuration, too. Thanks.

What's The Zone? Do they have configurations for all the games there? (That would be awesome...)
Old 28 February 2004, 08:26   #9
Chuckles
The Ancient One

At the top of every page on EAB, you'll find a button in the upper right corner that leads to the Zone. It's just an area where files can be uploaded and downloaded, but they are only retained there for a few days. It's basically just an area we can all use to swap files with each other for any number of reasons.

There is no permanent set of configurations there, and it's rather difficult to keep configs up to date as the config file format changes from time to time. You can obtain a number of basic configs from Back to the Roots that often are very close to what you'll need. I also have about 1500 configs that I'm constantly fiddling with for a lot of games, so if you have problems with any specific title that I've managed to get working, I'll be happy to pass along the settings I used. Others often do the same, and after you've fiddled with settings long enough, you start to get a pretty good feel for what settings you may need to tweak to get most games to work properly.
Old 28 February 2004, 08:53   #10
Swordlord

Thanks for the offer, Chuckles!
So, can I maybe pm you if I can't figure out a configuration for a particular game, or do I have to go to The Zone?
Old 28 February 2004, 20:52   #11
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Typically I respond to those types of things within a thread when I see the question asked, since other people may also want the answer. PM's are fine too, but that only answers the question for one person. Individual config files can also be attached to the reply in a thread if needed. I usually just indicate in the answer though what the relevant settings are since my config files would have other settings for Kickstart locations, ADF names and locations and even custom screen modes (created using Powerstrip) that might need to be changed. Most of the time it seems like there are only a few settings that people don't have set correctly that cause their problems.
Old 29 February 2004, 09:17   #12
Swordlord

Oh, I know. I would have used private messaging only as a last resort, I assure you. Whenever I don't get a configuration right, I post a thread here, usually in the 'prb. Games' forum. (For example, I just posted a question about Dragon's Lair -- I don't think I got an answer yet. Did you try those games?)
Thanks!
Old 29 February 2004, 10:00   #13
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Worked fine for me no problem, just use an A500 config.
Old 29 February 2004, 10:15   #14
Swordlord

I tried. I see a screen telling me (in red on black) that, after I beat the dragon, I should swap disk 8 with 6, even though there's no prompt. Then, a nicely coloured cracker's menu, with the options F1 (regular game), F2 (infinite lives) and F3 (watch animation), but then I see a gray screen and the game freezes. It's cracked by ACU.
Old 29 February 2004, 10:36   #15
Swordlord

Never mind. It works now. I just had to select 'Cycle exact CPU and blitter' instead of 'Fast Copper'.
Old 29 February 2004, 20:09   #16
Dr. Dude

Thanks guys, this is just what i am looking for
Old 29 February 2004, 22:55   #17
Swordlord

You're welcome. That's what this forum is for, isn't it?
Old 01 March 2004, 06:46   #18
Chuckles
The Ancient One

It's certainly one of the things that the forum is here for, and by and large it's a very helpful group. I'd have replied to the question about Dragon's Lair, but didn't see it until now. The fact that when you worked out the proper config someone else reading the thread was interested in the same thing is a good example of what I referred to before. We all manage to help each other a little bit from time to time that way.
Old 01 March 2004, 06:54   #19
Swordlord

Absolutely, yes.

I remember the first time I used WinUAE: the joypad wasn't working, I didn't know different kickstart files would lead to different results, more than half the games I tried weren't working, I had no idea what most of the settings did...

I learned a lot on these forums.
Old 01 March 2004, 12:19   #20
Amiga1992

Swordlord, here's the thing why I'm chasing you all around

In this case, if people want to benefit from what you have just discussed here about Dragon's Lair, they might not find it, since when you do a search on the board if the title "barbarian (psygnosis)" shows up they are bound not to check it.

That's why you should try to stay on topic, specilaly in the problems sections. Everyone's questions can benefit others, but only if they can find them easily!

Try to post your findings in the Dragon's Lair thread you created.