English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 November 2002, 10:16   #1
RedHeat

Thumbs up A500 Slip>Ethernet Gateway & Webserver :-)

Since there is a nostalgia board on this forum i thought i would take the opportunity to 'cross post' a message i posted on amiga.org :-)

Nostalgic? Amiga 500 SLIP>Ethernet Gateway/Webserver!

Cheerio!

Old 11 November 2002, 11:47   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

That's a good demonstration that you don't need a ninja computer to do something useful...

Well done!
Old 11 November 2002, 12:19   #3
RetroMan

Cool I once had my A500+ set up as a TELNET BBS but I lost interest some day, maybe I´ll reopen it in the future just for some nostalgia reasons
Old 11 November 2002, 12:29   #4
RCK
Administrator

nice webserver
Old 11 November 2002, 13:35   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Do you fancy running EAB on it would be a TRUE amiga board then
Old 11 November 2002, 15:48   #6
RedHeat

Thanks for the comments guys :-) I left the machine on today and it's gotten quite a few hits so far - i'll have to see how melted the floppy disk is when i get home! :-D

Bippy - hehehe - i wish!

All the best

Old 11 November 2002, 18:06   #7
Amiga1992

Fucking uber COOL hardcore job there, redheat. My biggest congratulations go to you, a true Real Thing© supporter!

Welcome aboard
Old 11 November 2002, 23:29   #8
RedHeat

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Fucking uber COOL hardcore job there, redheat. My biggest congratulations go to you, a true Real Thing© supporter!

Welcome aboard
:-D thanks hehe

Like i said there are plenty of application for the A500, its when it's just left to the imagination that creativity and innovation emerge :-D

At the moment, my hands are killing me (RSI) so i'll be taking a short break between writing up more big HOWTOs etc... :-)

All the best and thanks for ur support (all of you!)

Btw, if anyone has AFCD 4 and 6, look in the Reader Stuff dirs (on one of the CD's u have to go into the subdir Music aswell) and look for a Greg Txxy :-D thats me! hehe rubbish music but then again i was only 13 or something lol. ;-)

Old 12 November 2002, 00:19   #9
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Get an old parnet cable and make a plip cable and you
can get even better connectivity. on my a500 i get around 20-30kb/second transfer. but it does eat cpu. The floppy network solution is better with less cpu use, but not always easy to find. some sold on ebay at times.

Until 1997 my a500 was my only Internetted Computer. I used grapevine/amirc/minimail, then yam/aweb!/aws (amiga web server) (very slowly )/and other programs. mostly for browsing i used amilynx though.

Good to see other people using there a500 still :-)

there was another a500 running a webserver. a little machine called erm. 'cheesy' i think

http://a5oo.nvg.org/

doesnt seem to be on any more :-(
Old 12 November 2002, 05:00   #10
Amiga1992

YAM?
Does it work without MUI Buzz?

I am EAGER to use my A600 as a net terminal
Old 12 November 2002, 09:14   #11
RedHeat

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by BuZz
Get an old parnet cable and make a plip cable and you
can get even better connectivity. on my a500 i get around 20-30kb/second transfer. but it does eat cpu. The floppy network solution is better with less cpu use, but not always easy to find. some sold on ebay at times.
Yep, Im aware of that in fact I also mentioned the possibility of doing it temporarily for a document, temporarily becuase I dont like to hog my already very restricted connection I find the SLIP connection a nice bottleneck, which to be honest doesn't really matter becuase there is only plain text being served (HTML) . Anyway, I have a parnet cable (i just use a straight thru cable and built a jumperbox myself) so making a PLIP cable is pretty easy by just making another jumperbox. I will give it a try soon...
Quote:
Until 1997 my a500 was my only Internetted Computer. I used grapevine/amirc/minimail, then yam/aweb!/aws (amiga web server) (very slowly )/and other programs. mostly for browsing i used amilynx though.

Good to see other people using there a500 still :-)

there was another a500 running a webserver. a little machine called erm. 'cheesy' i think

http://a5oo.nvg.org/

doesnt seem to be on any more
Cool
The A500 still has the ability of multitasking which put it far ahead of equivelant machines of it's time like the 286. So internetting is much more viable (running multi apps over a TCPIP stack). I must say that getting the connection when you have a direct SLIP or PPP connection to an ISP is also very easy to do with AmiTCP -
However, just to clarify this project was more about makeing a gateway between 2 Amigas and the LAN -> Internet

Cheerio!

P.S The system now loads entirly from 1 floppy disk, unpacking into just under 1080kb of RAM-disk. The HTML pages are kept on a 2nd disk for easier management, these too are also copied into Ram-disk (1080kb in total for everything including the HTML and CGI's)