English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 December 2021, 20:09   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE 4.9.1 beta series

Beta 1:

Quick few days long beta series. JIT bug can be very annoying (it triggering depends on used software) when using emulated RTG boards. I think it is better to release fix before I break chipset emulation again, hopefully this time it only takes few months..

https://download.abime.net/winuae/fi...nuae_4910b1.7z
https://download.abime.net/winuae/fi...ae64_4910b1.7z

This thread is only for 4.9.0/4.9.1 beta introduced bugs or features. Always test with 4.4.0 and 4.90 first! Problem exists in 4.4.0 or older: do not post in this thread!

4.9.0 bugs fixed:

- JIT indirect safe mode MOVEM.W from memory didn't sign extend registers (very, very old bug but apparently it was almost invisible until now because previously indirect MOVEM wasn't used unless VRAM wasn't indirect capable and direct MOVEM was still incorrectly used even when indirect mode was enabled. This was fixed in 4.9.0).
- Really force all emulated gfx board VRAM accesses to use indirect JIT. Previously used method still allowed direct JIT if code first accessed plain RAM and later (after it was translated) same code accessed VRAM. Fixes graphics corruption in some situations when JIT mode is direct and using emulated RTG boards. Only uaegfx is always fully JIT direct compatible.
- JIT MOVEM.x <regs>,-(An) and <regs> includes An: use MOVEM indirect safe mode. Tester does not complain anymore.
- PCem RTG board 15 and 16-bit lores modes didn't horizontally double correctly.
- HBSTRT very near end of scanline was detected as missed, opening left border.
- Programmed HBLANK end mid screen + bitplanes active (=totally broken situation) caused random graphics corruption.
- ECS Denise horizontal blanking logic updated, it is quite complex and previous was not complete. Note that in real world it can only work if display uses H/V sync (not composite sync) = VGA monitor. CSYNC vs HSYNC/VSYNC "monitor cable" option will be added later.
- Programmed Denise/Lisa side vertical blank ended 1 line too early. It takes 1 more line before Denise/Lisa ends it.
- Programmed vertical blank generated blank scanline wasn't always drawn fully to end of scanline.

Other updates and earlier version bug fixes:

- If warp mode and non-qualifier key is pressed: send release event immediately. It is now possible to type normally in warp mode. Note that physical key release will generate another, almost always harmless, key release event.
- PCem Cirrus Logic SVGA emulation planar support enabled. Picasso96 supports 4bit/16 color planar mode.
- Hardware emulated RTG mode + horizontal or vertical doubling + magic mouse: mouse position calculation incorrectly used doubled coordinates.
- Only process mouse/keyboad input Windows events during mid frame (used to reduce input lag) and process other events during vblank.
Old 19 December 2021, 15:04   #2
rutra80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
- Only process mouse/keyboad input Windows events during mid frame (used to reduce input lag) and process other events during vblank.
This is wonderful - night/day difference - thank you!

There seem to be some random incompatibilities - I once had a guru while booting Offence Morphine demo on plain A500 config, once my 040 JIT config couldn't load WB background, etc... Will try to provide more details when something happens again...

Toni any chance with these issues for next releases?
Old 19 December 2021, 15:20   #3
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Has anyone else got tinylauncher (https://aminet.net/package/util/misc/TinyLauncher) that can also confirm this?

In 4.4.0 the animation of the Space Invaders title screen/logo seems quite smooth when the screen scrolls up (and then back down when you go into a menu option). However in 4.9.0 (and this 4.9.1 beta), using the same config, it seems to judder a bit both going up and down.
Old 19 December 2021, 17:45   #4
Mclane
Old retro god.

The new beta has a serious issue for me, I can run it and use the quickconfig to go to 1200 mode (or any mode) and that's it, if I hit F12 nothing happens, I found it out when I went to release the mouse from being trapped. I deleted the reg key and removed the default.uae and it's still the same. Once its running you can't get back in and if you hit F12 it makes the program stop responding.

No crash dump as it just sits non responding and I don't use any special configs / any configs bar the proven built in ones.

Both X86 and X64 affected..
Old 19 December 2021, 18:05   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
Has anyone else got tinylauncher (https://aminet.net/package/util/misc/TinyLauncher) that can also confirm this?

In 4.4.0 the animation of the Space Invaders title screen/logo seems quite smooth when the screen scrolls up (and then back down when you go into a menu option). However in 4.9.0 (and this 4.9.1 beta), using the same config, it seems to judder a bit both going up and down.
Impossible to say anything without config file.. It can be normal if config is too weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
The new beta has a serious issue for me, I can run it and use the quickconfig to go to 1200 mode (or any mode) and that's it, if I hit F12 nothing happens, I found it out when I went to release the mouse from being trapped. I deleted the reg key and removed the default.uae and it's still the same. Once its running you can't get back in and if you hit F12 it makes the program stop responding.

No crash dump as it just sits non responding and I don't use any special configs / any configs bar the proven built in ones.

Both X86 and X64 affected..
Quite weird. Does https://download.abime.net/winuae/files/b/winuae.7z have same behavior? (19.12.2021, updated less than hour ago)

If it does, when it hangs, open windows task manager, right click winuae.exe and click create dump and attach the dump file.
Old 19 December 2021, 18:14   #6
Zarnal

Quote:

I can't reproduce.

What is your exact config and version of Winuae ( x32 or x64 ) ?

Aminet has not the latest version of Tiny Launcher ( 3.56 ).
Old 19 December 2021, 18:17   #7
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:

Quote:
Impossible to say anything without config file.. It can be normal if config is too weird.
Apologies if I've done anything obviously wonky - Here's my WHDLoad/TinyLauncher config:

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/whdload.uae
Old 19 December 2021, 18:21   #8
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:

Quite weird. Does https://download.abime.net/winuae/files/b/winuae.7z have same behavior? (19.12.2021, updated less than hour ago)

If it does, when it hangs, open windows task manager, right click winuae.exe and click create dump and attach the dump file.
Hi Toni, no that works as per normal.. F12 and mouse unlock fine.. Gave it about 20 loads to see and all perfect..

If you want I can make a crash dump from the older version (now I know how)

Here's the generated dmp for the previous revision..Oops guess who didn't upload it first time) Oops 2, too big even zipped..Medifire I think next.

https://www..com/file/sp5eeniht0utayt/winuae.zip/file

Last edited by Mclane; 19 December 2021 at 19:23.
Old 19 December 2021, 19:05   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Apologies if I've done anything obviously wonky - Here's my WHDLoad/TinyLauncher config:
68040+ cycle-exact has never been very useful. First try something more normal like 68020. (68040+CE basically can increase host CPU requirements too much)

Quote:
Hi Toni, no that works as per normal.. F12 and mouse unlock fine.. Gave it about 20 loads to see and all perfect..

If you want I can make a crash dump from the older version (now I know how)
Great. Windows message handling was probably done slightly wrong.

Which Windows version?
Old 19 December 2021, 19:17   #10
Mclane
Old retro god.

Win 7 X64 (and a genuine one)
Old 20 December 2021, 02:43   #11
r.cade

Quote:
Win 7 X64 (and a genuine one)
This is why. I suspect mid-screen keyboard/mouse scanning breaks all input on Windows 7. I can reproduce it.

I thing lagless v-sync doesn't work with Win7 either, and this is related?

As they say, end of line.

Last edited by r.cade; 20 December 2021 at 03:03.
Old 20 December 2021, 03:53   #12
a/b

Windoze7 64-bit, B1 doesn't work at all, it freezes and the status bar is blank. Breaks ctrl+shift+esc as well, had to ctrl+alt+del to start taskmgr to kill it.
The one you posted in #5 works but the screen is shifted horizontally by 32pix (64pix doubled/actual resolution in windoze, windowed mode) to the right in AGA DoublePAL screen (I'm using DoublePAL hires no flicker 640x512x8col for WB). B1 does the some (on top of freezing during booting, but you can still see it). When I e.g start asm-one which uses PAL hires screen it's fine (no shift).
I can post more details/config/etc if this is not reproducible on your end.
Old 20 December 2021, 08:48   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/b View Post
Windoze7 64-bit, B1 doesn't work at all, it freezes and the status bar is blank. Breaks ctrl+shift+esc as well, had to ctrl+alt+del to start taskmgr to kill it.
The one you posted in #5 works but the screen is shifted horizontally by 32pix (64pix doubled/actual resolution in windoze, windowed mode) to the right in AGA DoublePAL screen (I'm using DoublePAL hires no flicker 640x512x8col for WB). B1 does the some (on top of freezing during booting, but you can still see it). When I e.g start asm-one which uses PAL hires screen it's fine (no shift).
I can post more details/config/etc if this is not reproducible on your end.
Could you attach comparison screenshots from 4.4, 4.9.0 and winuae.7z?
Old 20 December 2021, 10:30   #14
a/b

Attached...
Attached Files
File Type: 7z winuae_screen_problem.7z (246.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 20 December 2021, 17:30   #15
Mclane
Old retro god.

I would upgrade to Windows 10 but I already did that and got 3 corrupted hard drives with the loss of a LOT of data that I thankfully could lay my hands on again. Until MS fix this well known issue, I won't risk it..

Just search Win 10 corrupted hard drive for a panicked read.
Old 20 December 2021, 17:32   #16
r.cade

Quote:
I would upgrade to Windows 10 but I already did that and got 3 corrupted hard drives with the loss of a LOT of data that I thankfully could lay my hands on again. Until MS fix this well known issue, I won't risk it..

Just search Win 10 corrupted hard drive for a panicked read.
OT, but I never recommend upgrades. Just install clean.
Old 20 December 2021, 18:09   #17
Mclane
Old retro god.

Yes OT, was clean install, never do it any other way..
Old 20 December 2021, 20:54   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

https://download.abime.net/winuae/fi...nuae_4910b2.7z
https://download.abime.net/winuae/fi...ae64_4910b2.7z

Beta 2:

- Adjusted programmed mode size/position calculation.
- Adjusted copper emulation, waits for too large horizontal position woke up normally.
- Delay warp mode automatic key release by few frames, some programs might not like immediate keypress/release pair.
- Windows event processing change fix.
- Border "bug" emulated (ECS Denise and AGA, does not affect OCS Denise). If bitplane DMA (BPL1DAT) happens inside VBLANK, border state gets disabled, when first non-VB line starts, line stripe from HDIW start to first BPL1DAT is still in "not border" state: sprites are visible and borderblank does not affect it. This happens because border state normally gets enabled when HBLANK goes from inactive to active state but it looks like HBLANK does not affect border state inside VBLANK. It can also happen during later scanlines if programmed HBLANK starts too early, before last BPL1DAT access. (HBLANK enables border, BPL1DAT access disables it again).
Old 21 December 2021, 01:20   #19
a/b

Tested with beta2, the same problem but on the opposite side (went from +32pix to -32pix). Screenshot attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.9.1.b2.png
Views:	328
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	74155  
Old 21 December 2021, 15:39   #20
GunnzAkimbo

on beta 2 all i see is a thin white line at the top on my workbench.
beta 1 doesnt do this.