English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 June 2022, 19:20   #1
kad3t

Top 10 Arcade Ports to Amiga

Hey,

This time I've went through the amiga conversions from arcades and I gotta say there there are quite a lot more games than I ever thought. Spanning in part three decades of video gaming. Some are great, others not so much and quite frankly not all games in this video I even enjoy. But I can appreciate them.

Still, have a look and let me know what you think? Perhaps there's something you believe could be a better fit?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 June 2022, 21:04   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Just remember that THE absolute top ten does not exist, because your top ten will clash with someone else headcharts, so this is YOUR top ten not THE top ten
Old 29 June 2022, 21:13   #3
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Just remember that THE absolute top ten does not exist, because your top ten will clash with someone else headcharts, so this is YOUR top ten not THE top ten
Yep, I agree. But not gonna pre-face each top 10 list with that.
Old 29 June 2022, 21:17   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Said that, Ghosts 'n' Goblins is THE port: has all tricks of the arcade and looks almost identical! Only downside is up for jump but there are WHD patches for it
Old 29 June 2022, 21:20   #5
dreadnought

Quote:
downside is up for jump
*popcorn.gif*
Old 29 June 2022, 21:32   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
*popcorn.gif*
Spot the kid growing up with a NES in the thread

@kad3t
Interesting list (again). I loved to play both Bubble Bobble and Rodland (mainly because you can co-op them). Mortal Kombat had one big flaw for me though: The use of one button. That being said I was a snobby kid that owned a NeoGeo, so there's that I really enjoyed the pacing in this video

Last edited by TCD; 29 June 2022 at 21:39.
Old 29 June 2022, 21:51   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Ghosts'n'goblins also had the limitation of not being able to turn back while jumping. This also has been fixed by the whdload version

@TCD Like MK2, MK can use 2 buttons. It's pretty good with 2 buttons.
Old 29 June 2022, 22:44   #8
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Spot the kid growing up with a NES in the thread

@kad3t
Interesting list (again). I loved to play both Bubble Bobble and Rodland (mainly because you can co-op them). Mortal Kombat had one big flaw for me though: The use of one button. That being said I was a snobby kid that owned a NeoGeo, so there's that I really enjoyed the pacing in this video
Thanks! I'm working on ratio distribution all the time. I believe each next video is tiny bit better. But it's a process and I have no doubt that it will take a while longer till I'm happy with the end results.

Coming back to the subject at hand, I had C64 and then Amiga growing up. Then I went straight to PC. All the consoles I had years later, as a grown up. But I too believe that one of the biggest flaws of Amiga was one button controls. Cause as much as we may be used to it, even one more, for said jump for instance, would've been a huge difference in many games. Same with MK, having one for kicks and one for punches would simplify some of these specials and fatalities.

Also, to this day I haven't found a one-screen platformer that I would've considered being as good as Rodland was.
Old 29 June 2022, 22:45   #9
kad3t

Quote:
Said that, Ghosts 'n' Goblins is THE port: has all tricks of the arcade and looks almost identical! Only downside is up for jump but there are WHD patches for it
Yep, that's an excellent choice actually. And a great example of what you spoke about - each's list being their own.

I really loved Ghosts'n'Goblins on C64.
Old 29 June 2022, 22:47   #10
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Ghosts'n'goblins also had the limitation of not being able to turn back while jumping. This also has been fixed by the whdload version

You're right actually. There was a two-button switch in the options... That said, I don't remember any magazines back in the day printing all the moves for two buttons. Just one. But I didn't have the original, so maybe that's where the issue was...
Old 30 June 2022, 00:04   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

the manual has all the moves, 1 and 2 buttons. I had the original back in 1994 and played it to death. One of my best game buys besides Chaos Engine & Cadaver
Old 30 June 2022, 01:43   #12
kad3t

Quote:
the manual has all the moves, 1 and 2 buttons. I had the original back in 1994 and played it to death. One of my best game buys besides Chaos Engine & Cadaver
As much as I loved MK in single player and played it to death, MK2 was trash when played alone. Computer just cheated. And that's a fact that has actually been proven. So, it was not great when there was no one around. But with a friend, or even better, friends, in tournament it was the best! We would spend whole weekends beating shit out of each other in MK2. And everyone had their favourite that they could defeat anyone with, but rules were simple - you could never pick the same character twice in a row. Dang it! These were the good times...

Last edited by kad3t; 30 June 2022 at 01:44. Reason: grammar ;)
Old 30 June 2022, 03:10   #13
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
Hey,

This time I've went through the amiga conversions from arcades and I gotta say there there are quite a lot more games than I ever thought. Spanning in part three decades of video gaming. Some are great, others not so much and quite frankly not all games in this video I even enjoy. But I can appreciate them.

Still, have a look and let me know what you think? Perhaps there's something you believe could be a better fit?

[ Show youtube player ]
Half of them look rubbish, for a start NZ Story is an ST port job with 16 colour graphics

How can you miss Ghosts n Goblins? I can understand Commando not being on lists as it's quite old and very simple but no G'n'G? The ST port is better than the Amiga slapdash PD looking rubbish that is Ghouls and Ghosts.

Super Hang-on framerate is as rough as a fat ugly woman with a big gob drunk at the bar.....but then EVERYTHING ZZKJ wrote for ST or Amiga is just shit.

Maybe you went from Sinclair Spectrum or Acorn Electron to Amiga direct without ever owning a decent 50fps console/computer like Atari 2600/800 or Commodore 64? lol
Old 30 June 2022, 03:21   #14
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Wrong again, arcade conversions are judged on 3 things, all technical and 100% factual. You may not like the arcade game but 12fps racing games and 16 colour graphics on non-parallax scrolly games are not 'top' anything conversions and should be in ZERO lists. There is nothing 'personal' about it, you have the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual online and arcade motherboard specs online, just needs some noodle and effort thrown at the project.

1. Game engine coding (Amiga has rubbish sprite hardware and very restrictive parallax hardware compared to 1985 Konami 68000 based motherboards)
2. Graphics (Amiga can do 32 colours per scanline only vs 128 for 1985 Konami....you get where this is going)
3. Sound (Amiga has 4 DACs vs FM based 8/16 channel arcades)

if 1,2 and 3 are technically done to 99% of the OCS chipset potential then the gameplay is intact. Obviously you can do the same with Z80/6800/6502 arcade games to other 8bit formats, just don't expect OutRun to look good on ANY 8bit system. (PC Engine has 16bit RAM access via 16bit custom hardware it is not 8bit btw)

Arcade conversion top lists are the only ones where you need to know what the Amiga is capable of (most of the time being in rip-offs like Beast 1 overground level vs Rastan Saga)
Old 30 June 2022, 05:57   #15
PatmanQC

Rodland Is actually better than the arcade game because it fixes one or two bugs
Old 30 June 2022, 06:06   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Should have used a MegaDrive pad back in the day then. I have to admit that I didn't play MK on my Amiga a lot (as I had the MD version too). It was mostly when I visited friends that I got a bit frustrated with only one button. I'll have a look this weekend how it plays with two buttons
Old 30 June 2022, 11:11   #17
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Maybe you went from Sinclair Spectrum or Acorn Electron to Amiga direct without ever owning a decent 50fps console/computer like Atari 2600/800 or Commodore 64? lol
Your ignorance on the subject is proportional to the arrogant tone of your rants. There are arcade ports on the Spectrum which are technical & gameplay marvels (eg Renegade, R-Type, Chase HQ) and often better than the ones on more powerful machines, and also heaps of quality arcade - style games on the Electron.

Also "lol" @ "50 fps console/computer". What does it even mean?

Quote:
There is nothing 'personal' about it, you have the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual online and arcade motherboard specs online, just needs some noodle and effort thrown at the project.
It's not the first time you make Amiga dev sound like a breeze, so I'm eagerly awaiting a release of some of your arcade-quality projects (ok, make it any projects)
Old 30 June 2022, 12:24   #18
stevelord

Quote:
Half of them look rubbish, for a start NZ Story is an ST port job with 16 colour graphics ...
Super Hang-on framerate is as rough as a fat ugly woman with a big gob drunk at the bar.....but then EVERYTHING ZZKJ wrote for ST or Amiga is just shit.

If only your superior game dev skills could've been employed in the 80s and 90s, perhaps Commodore wouldn't have gone bust. Alas, I guess we'll never know what could've been.
Old 30 June 2022, 13:44   #19
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
As much as I loved MK in single player and played it to death, MK2 was trash when played alone. Computer just cheated. And that's a fact that has actually been proven.
Makes sense. I mastered MK at one point (in the arcades) but at the same time got destroyed by MK2 on arcade, MAME or even Amiga. I've read all the damn guides about the game, but still no dice.

Can you elaborate on the cheat? the fact that the computer can pull special moves without the combo control latency? certainly. Others?

That said, I had seen someone just killing the 1P game back in 1994 in the arcades, using only jump kicks. Seemed easy. It wasn't (and I used that jump kick technique a lot with MKI with great success!!)

Quote:
So, it was not great when there was no one around. But with a friend, or even better, friends, in tournament it was the best! We would spend whole weekends beating shit out of each other in MK2. And everyone had their favourite that they could defeat anyone with, but rules were simple - you could never pick the same character twice in a row. Dang it! These were the good times...
It's also possible with MK. Got 2 big PSX 8 button joysticks + USB adapters running with MAME and it was great fun with friends and even my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Your ignorance on the subject is proportional to the arrogant tone of your rants. ...

It's not the first time you make Amiga dev sound like a breeze, so I'm eagerly awaiting a release of some of your arcade-quality projects (ok, make it any projects)
Why every thread ends up in a flame war lately? Isn't there an age check that refuses you to log in if you're not at least 12? Or maybe that safety isn't working any more?

- Zeusaz vids are fun, even if quantity doesn't equal quality
- In "best ports" I would include the ones recently created. Not talking only about my work (which is great but also 8-bit ) but also Rygar, Super Sprint, Green Beret, Space Invaders... Or set a date before which the port doesn't qualify (else Depth Charge wins)

Last edited by jotd; 30 June 2022 at 13:52.
Old 30 June 2022, 13:50   #20
str0m

Watch this, shows the cheating

[ Show youtube player ]