English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 July 2022, 20:35   #1
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

The Adventures of Robin Hood - has it shrunk?

When I played it in the early 90s, it seemed huge, an endless open world with autonomous NPCs. Today, it's rather manageable, in fact almost tiny. Did the game change or did I? One way or another, its ambition remains really cool!

https://www.goodolddays.net/game/id%...obin-Hood.html
Old 24 July 2022, 20:46   #2
dreadnought

"It wasn't the game, it was us" - to paraphrase the old break-up excuse But I agree, back then it was the same with many similar games which appeared bigger than life, which is understandable seeing as their counterparts from the most poular genres (STG, platform, racing, etc) were mostly very simplistic, even if a lot of fun.

I still love them thou, they laid the foundations for modern "open" games. And I liked Robin Hood a lot, even though without the manual it was really bit of a stumbling in the dark kinda experience.
Old 24 July 2022, 22:33   #3
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I have tried to replay it recently and it's *horribly* slow. Can't remember it being that slow when I completed it 20 or so years ago.

I have just watched a long-play and it seems that I did miss literally everything that was in the game. I remember shooting an arrow from very far and killing the Sheriff of Nottingham at the very beginning of the game and that was it
Old 24 July 2022, 23:52   #4
Superman

Its one of those games where you can complete it in seconds if you are quick enough to kill the sheriff before he hides in the castle. You can make it last ages though if you want to. Having the dragon on your side is hillarious at times watching him eat your opponents

I always enjoyed playing it as the ending could change depending on if you were loved or hated by the villagers.
Old 25 July 2022, 22:11   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I always enjoyed playing it as the ending could change depending on if you were loved or hated by the villagers.
Not just that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26.png
Views:	101
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	76106  
Old 26 July 2022, 09:09   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Its one of those games where you can complete it in seconds if you are quick enough to kill the sheriff before he hides in the castle.
Funny, I think we can consider that a secret ending. It is a little like Far Cry 4/5 which have a special trigger where you can basically say "F it, I'm not playing the game" and end it before you even start.