English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 24 February 2020, 13:22   #1
jarre

copier dongles

is there a way to emulate the different copier dongles, to see the copiers working as they should do on real hardware..????
Old 24 February 2020, 20:22   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am quite sure I replied similar question long time ago. Unfortunately I can't find it.

Those dongles are basically analog (like tape to tape copiers) and emulated results would be too good. For example drive rotation rates are never 100% same (some software even tried to sync 2 drives by quickly stopping and starting the motor), there is gap between rw head and erase head, usual disk formats don't support slightly randomly variable bit cell sizes and so on. None of this is needed to support normal Amiga disk access accurately.
Old 24 February 2020, 20:31   #3
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I am quite sure I replied similar question long time ago. Unfortunately I can't find it.

Those dongles are basically analog (like tape to tape copiers) and emulated results would be too good. For example drive rotation rates are never 100% same (some software even tried to sync 2 drives by quickly stopping and starting the motor), there is gap between rw head and erase head, usual disk formats don't support slightly randomly variable bit cell sizes and so on. None of this is needed to support normal Amiga disk access accurately.
Clear, just thought, because its possible, it should be nice to play arround with
. I had one dongle for syncro express, so it just looked fun to see the other ones emulated
Old 24 February 2020, 20:37   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Stability of those copiers probably depended on floppy drive motor stability than anything else. Which means emulation would also need per-floppy motor speed and motor speed stability configuration

Really not worth the trouble..