Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 September 2011, 03:51   #1
DC33
Zone Friend

WHDLoad on PC works fine but not on real Amiga

Hi all,

I am in need of your help please....

The problem I have and cannot understand why it's happening is as follows:

Under WinUAE I set up an 8-Gig CF card and installed ClassicWB Lite (thanks Bloodwych - great packages) and have managed to install all WHDLoad games (thanks Killergorilla - great packages too) and installed the latest version of WHDLoad (V17).

All works fine under WinUAE whereby games load and run as should be with no rom errors etc, however when I install the CF card into my A1200 and try to load a game, WHDLoad loads initially and then I get the dredded incorrect rom thing or rom missing (cant reember exactly the wording) and that's as far as it goes.

I tried loading several games here on my work PC as I was testing everything was ok before the real Amiga installation/testing only to find the above was happening. Today I am back at work and find those games which were not working on my 1200 (rom issues), work perfectly under WinUAE.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so how was it corrected?

I am running a 1D1 rev 1200 with a blizzard 1230 IV with 8 meg of ram. Tested without the board and problem remains, so it isn't the board.

Thanks for your help

Cheers,
dc
Old 01 September 2011, 12:15   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Are you sure you have the kickstarts in Devs/Kickstarts and they work fine under WinUae?
Old 01 September 2011, 12:18   #3
DC33
Zone Friend

OK ppl.
I have reverted back to basics and re-installed WB3.1, removed expansion card, tried a different mobo (rev 1B) to no avail.

I checked the message I was previously getting and it was: Dos-Error #121 (file not executable) on reading. After reverting back to WB3.1 and re-installing WHDLoad 16.9, I got he "error on reading rom 34005.A500 (or whatever it is - didn't write it down sorry) as opposed to what I had before.

I have used the same roms etc which work under WinUAE but they still refuse to work in the A1200 environment..!!??!!

Any ideas would be welcome.
Cheers.
dc
Old 01 September 2011, 12:20   #4
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Are you sure you have the kickstarts in Devs/Kickstarts and they work fine under WinUae?
Yeah sure as sh*t. Tried all sorts of games and under WinUAE I have no probs whatsoever. It's only when I try it with the 1200 that it all goes pear-shaped. VERY Frustrating.
Old 01 September 2011, 12:46   #5
Bloodwych

Read this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46061

Sounds like all your files have the executable flag removed.
Old 01 September 2011, 12:57   #6
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Read this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46061

Sounds like all your files have the executable flag removed.
OK will give it a try (although not tonight as the wife is furious at me )
Will let you know tomorrow how it goes.
thanks for your assistance BW
dc
Old 01 September 2011, 12:59   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Most likely it is common max transfer problem or in worst case >4G problem if you installed it using "UAE" controller.
Old 01 September 2011, 13:11   #8
Bloodwych

Good point Toni, missed the 8GB card bit. If it is those issues DC33, there is a lot of info on EAB and by searching the internet.

Also some info here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256
Old 01 September 2011, 13:29   #9
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Most likely it is common max transfer problem or in worst case >4G problem if you installed it using "UAE" controller.
Hey Toni,
Thanks for your reply - long time no talk.

Although in principle I would agree to a degree on the 4+ gig barrier, my question would then be "does it matter if the CF card is 1,2,4,8,,,,,, or greater, as long as the games (as it is the case for me) are being run from the first 4 gig partition or below?

I have put games from 0-K in the first partition (below 4 gig) and the remainder L-Z in the 4-8 gig partition, and as Flashback is within the first... I am or would assume that this restriction would / should not apply right?
Cheers
dc
Old 01 September 2011, 13:37   #10
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Good point Toni, missed the 8GB card bit. If it is those issues DC33, there is a lot of info on EAB and by searching the internet.

Thanks BW,
I have done several of your installs on differing configs and have never had this problem - until now whereby I am using the 8 gig card instead of a 4 or less. Not sure why that is tho.
Nevertheless, I have patched the drive file system so that the 4+ gig barrier is not a problem and I have manged to prove this on the real Amiga without any probs. Everything is visible and accessible but just wont run under WHDLoad - as I said, will give it a go tomorrow as the 1200 is in the workshop under the house. So it is a tomorrow job.
Cheers,
dc
Old 01 September 2011, 14:44   #11
ajk

And the maxtransfer setting is correct? If it's not, you may get corrupted file operations with larger files that might not show up in WinUAE use.
Old 01 September 2011, 23:27   #12
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
And the maxtransfer setting is correct? If it's not, you may get corrupted file operations with larger files that might not show up in WinUAE use.
I believe it to be correct as I have transferred large files into RAM and back without any issues. Nevertheless, the Mask is 0xfffffe & MaxTransfer 0xffffff. If it is suggested that they are changed, what are the best settings? I have played with these settings on other ocassions but cannot recall which ones I used.
Chers.
dc

Quote:

Thanks Bloodwych,

I have configured the drive step by step following your gideliness and even followed your video guide and have had no issues at all. I have actually been playing around with 8 gig cards for some time without any problems like this one. I can't recall tho, whether other cards I have prepped have been using a real 1200 or not....

At work now so I can't get onto the real machine till tonight. Tried loading games in WinUAE and it works perfectly....

Last edited by TCD; 02 September 2011 at 01:10.
Old 02 September 2011, 08:30   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC33 View Post
I believe it to be correct as I have transferred large files into RAM and back without any issues. Nevertheless, the Mask is 0xfffffe & MaxTransfer 0xffffff. If it is suggested that they are changed, what are the best settings? I have played with these settings on other ocassions but cannot recall which ones I used.
Did you check the file contents? Max transfer problem does not cause any DOS read or write errors. It "only" causes data to become corrupted.

Set MaxTransfer to 0x1fffe (Remember to press return after typing it in hdtoolbox!)
Old 02 September 2011, 11:42   #14
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Did you check the file contents? Max transfer problem does not cause any DOS read or write errors. It "only" causes data to become corrupted.

Set MaxTransfer to 0x1fffe (Remember to press return after typing it in hdtoolbox!)
Off to work on it (7:40 PM EAST)
Will be back shortly to advise results of all above / previous recommendations.
Wish me luck
dc
Old 02 September 2011, 13:40   #15
DC33
Zone Friend

..almost 2 hours later and here I am....!!!
@Toni Wilen, I have set max transfer as suggested, and now find that when WHDLoad is trying to load a game (slave), I am getting the incorrect kick34005.A500 rom thing.

I have copied a new rom over (known to work) and the problem still persists....

I am getting really p*ssed off !!!!

Please help.......... Any ideas are welcome.

pm me if need be please
Cheers.
dc

Last edited by DC33; 02 September 2011 at 13:41. Reason: co[py paste error :)
Old 04 September 2011, 02:24   #16
DC33
Zone Friend

Update:
Whilst nothing has really changed in terms of workability, for some strange reason when the "Retry - Quit or Make core dump" requester appears, if I choose re-start, the game will work without any problem.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

I am guessing that perhaps this may be an issue with WHDLoad 17 (supplied with latest ClassicWB...??) as I have never had this type of problem previously. Will let you guys know what happens
dc

Final UPDATE.....

Well well, just reverted back to WHDLoad 16.9 (16.9.4672) and everything seems to work without any issues. So it would appear that WHDLoad 17 has some issues maybe?

dc

Last edited by DC33; 04 September 2011 at 02:41. Reason: more informatyion re: WHDLoad 16.9 vs 17
Old 04 September 2011, 09:55   #17
tomse
We need more scans!

HI DC.. version 17 is still in beta so probably there's the reason.

I'm curious to know which accelerator card you have, as I have a M1230XA in one machine and some games doesn't run there, but they run in another with a Blizz 1230.

you might want to help out by reporting the issue on the whdload homepage.

cheers
T
Old 04 September 2011, 21:57   #18
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomse View Post
I'm curious to know which accelerator card you have, as I have a M1230XA in one machine and some games doesn't run there, but they run in another with a Blizz 1230.
I have tried with a Blizzard 1230 IV and a MBX 1200z ram card and both do it with WHDLoad 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomse View Post
you might want to help out by reporting the issue on the whdload homepage.
Will do